Author Topic: GM, NPCs, and Fate Points  (Read 3028 times)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: GM, NPCs, and Fate Points
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »
Even if my NPCs need Fate Points, they won't have them unless I can justify it to myself why they should have them.

Compels on the NPCs are simply matter of whether the NPC taking that Compel makes my life as GM harder. If the Compel means the NPC isn't in the scene when I need him there, then it makes my life harder thus the NPC gets the FP. If the NPC being there makes the GM's easier, then it does not qualify as a Compel.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
Compels on the NPCs are simply matter of whether the NPC taking that Compel makes my life as GM harder.
I'd recommend changing this to whether or not the NPC's life gets more difficult. 

I "self compel" NPCs based on how much they have to change in-character plans and on how much their actions are shaped by their aspects.  Essentially, they're compelled the same way I'd compel a PC. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
I'd recommend changing this to whether or not the NPC's life gets more difficult. 

I "self compel" NPCs based on how much they have to change in-character plans and on how much their actions are shaped by their aspects.  Essentially, they're compelled the same way I'd compel a PC.
I understand and agree with what you are stating.

But when I GM, this is how I try to keep myself from abusing the infinite FP pool.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear