Author Topic: Using Emotional Vampire and Incite Emotion  (Read 7567 times)

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Using Emotional Vampire and Incite Emotion
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
Not as one action.  But they would get the +1 on attacks (from emotional vampire - though only when operating at a range of touch), once they had an appropriate aspect in place, either as a maneuver, or potentially as a consequence from incite attacks.  (Though note that a consequence has to be chosen by the target, and may not be appropriate.)

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »
Yeah except incite emotions by itself can inflict emotional stress with upgrades. So you are saying once they have the upgrade they can do both then?

Yes, the Incite Emotion can be used to Attack, but only after buying the Lasting Emotion upgrade. The Emotional Vampire power allows for an Attack as well - and the rules say that using the Incite Emotion, the character can incite the emotion and feed using the same roll.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
Huh.  I would simply not allow a maneuver and an attack as a single action.  Compare, for example, Blood Drinker - it's basically the same power, just physical instead of mental.  And it opens up with a maneuver to "draw blood", followed by allowing subsequent attacks at +1.  So I'd read the "inciting and feeding on it may be done as a single action..." part as being an example of "As a baseline, whenever you're near an 'eligible' strong emotion, you may draw in mild sustenance from it.  This... doesn't have much of an immediate effect."

In other words, IC, you're starting to feed.  OOC, you've made a maneuver, but have not yet attacked.  Any other interpretation runs into the game balance problems that have been discussed in this thread.

I completely agree in that the combo (Maneuver + Feeding Touch) is really powerful - too powerful for my taste. I think that this combo might have slipped through, or have not been found, during playtesting (or it could be that I have misunderstood the rules).

I might actually create a house rule that prevents a Maneuver and a feeding with a single roll (single action). If one compares Emotional Vampire with Blood Drinker, they are in my opinion about the same in potency even if one removes the ability to incite and feed using the same roll. The reason is that the Emotional Vampire has the ability to create mental stress (as an Attack) - the equivalent bonus for Blood Drinker would be the additional point of stress caused during a Grapple.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
The wording is explicitly goes against your view though

"you have the
Incite Emotion ability, inciting the emotion
and feeding on it may be done as a single
action, based on a single roll." Your Story

Inciting the Emotion (maneuvering) and feeding (attacking) done in the same turn using the same roll (which would be at a +2).
To deal with this problem my house rule is that the act of feeding and inciting are the same (so you choose stress or an aspect ) when they deal stress so don't stack so you just get a +1 to incite emotion on every hit on the target after the first.

I housed ruled it a bit with my group basically making the inciting and the feeding the same actions so for my friends pc with incite emotion and emotional vampire he could make a straight mental attack in the first round which represented him both inciting and feeding. If there was a consequence or an aspect is created via a maneuver he could then get a +1 to his incite/feed action every other round on the same target.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:52:51 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
Inciting the Emotion (maneuvering) and feeding (attacking) done in the same turn using the same roll (which would be at a +2).

If the rules are read so that the +2 (from Emotional Vampire) is added on the Attack roll (from Feeding Touch) it gets even worse in terms of being too powerful.

In the second exchange, assuming that the Manueuver worked in the first exchange, the character can technically tag the Aspect from the first exchange for a +2, get a +2 as part of creating a new Aspect and then another +1 (from Feeding Touch).

Having it so that one can either create an Aspect or feed sounds good.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »
The wording is explicitly goes against your view though
So I'd read the "inciting and feeding on it may be done as a single action..." part as being an example of "As a baseline, whenever you're near an 'eligible' strong emotion, you may draw in mild sustenance from it.  This... doesn't have much of an immediate effect."

In other words, I already addressed your point.  Feeding does not automatically equate to a game-mechanical attack action.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:15:42 PM by wyvern »

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
Feeding does not automatically equate to a game-mechanical attack action.

The actual feeding is described as "...a psychological attack..." which interpret as a Mental Attack that causes mental stress (as stress is mentioned under "The Taste of Death").

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »
The actual feeding is described as "...a psychological attack..." which interpret as a Mental Attack that causes mental stress (as stress is mentioned under "The Taste of Death").

Quote from: YS189
As a baseline, whenever you're near an "eligible" strong emotion, you may draw in mild sustenance from it.  This just grazes the surface of the victim's life force, maybe making them a shade less vital in the long term, but it doesn't have much of an immediate effect.
Quote from: YS189
Feeding Touch.  Physical contact is where it's at for a satisfying, long-term meal...

In other words, feeding-as-an-attack isn't the only form of feeding available - it's just not a particularly satisfying meal without that.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »
So one roll, double damage eh? Feed damage + incite damage . . .

No.

I'd never allow it in a game I ran. Regardless what rules as written say.  Because I can make a mid level refresh character one shot kill most anything without gettign to feed and do damage also.

Too much damage for one attack or in this game breaking scenario two attacks.

People should do as they please in their games, but I know overpowered when I see it.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
So one roll, double damage eh? Feed damage + incite damage . . .

That is not the issue here - Feed stress + Incite stress using the same roll is not possible. The most basic version of Incite Emotion does not allow for a mental attack (i.e. does not allow feeding to create stress, only to do a Maneuver and to Block).

The issue is the inciting of an emotion (thorough Incite Emotion, most basic version) and feeding (through Emotional Vampire) using the same roll.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »
I think it is best just to see incite emotion and feeding as one action so when you make an emotion attack with potent emotion you are also feeding at the same time (a psychological attack is happening either ways so why quibble over where the stress is coming from) which means you probably get a +1 to incite emotion roles after the first hit but not another actions. As for the basic power I just assume that means you can feed without creating an aspect in advance by (inciting as you feed) which just works out as a flat mental attack.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:31:29 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
My read on the "as one roll" was a lot less dangerous...
1) it allows you to fulfill the eligible emotion clause of Emotional Vampire without the need for a second roll on a prior round (skipping the need to declare, assess or maneuver it into play, which if required all the time would get to be a lot of hassle)
2) it allows you to use the more powerful of your Emotional Vampire roll or Incite Emotion roll to do a single damage effect (no double-dipping on dealing damage... just one attack with one damage effect, at the better of the two... after all, even Lasting Emotion carries a higher Mental Stress potential than Emotional Vampire does by itself).

You're more or less getting the chance to roll the two powers into eachother- gaining a single power with all the trappings of both... not the chance to do massively more damage.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 10:12:04 PM »
If it doesn't do double damage, I have no issue with the concept of two effects with the one roll.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 12:23:24 AM »
As I read it, Incite Emotion together with Emotional Vampire allows the character to inflict stress with the bonus from Incite Emotion as a single action. It may be a powerful combination, but to my view, Incite Emo + Emo Vamp is an alternate version of Incite Emo + Lasting Emo. For 2 Refresh, you can either get a +2 to the attack or a Weapon 2.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 12:37:11 AM »
My read on the "as one roll" was a lot less dangerous...
1) it allows you to fulfill the eligible emotion clause of Emotional Vampire without the need for a second roll on a prior round (skipping the need to declare, assess or maneuver it into play, which if required all the time would get to be a lot of hassle)
2) it allows you to use the more powerful of your Emotional Vampire roll or Incite Emotion roll to do a single damage effect (no double-dipping on dealing damage... just one attack with one damage effect, at the better of the two... after all, even Lasting Emotion carries a higher Mental Stress potential than Emotional Vampire does by itself).

You're more or less getting the chance to roll the two powers into eachother- gaining a single power with all the trappings of both... not the chance to do massively more damage.

This is how I see it two, a merging of the powers so that both powers gain the benefits of the others (taste of death +1 bonus, +x weapons rating + range etc) but only one attack happens.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:43:17 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.