Author Topic: Catch I don't need no stinking Catch...  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Catch I don't need no stinking Catch...
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 04:45:15 AM »
That seems like it would have to be a clone depending on how strictly you define the word 'fathered'.

Not really.  The Shakespearean origin of "not born of woman" covered someone who was born via C-section.  If that counts as not being born of woman than artificial insemination would cover "not fathered by man".

I can see PCs who hear about that starting their search with clones etc.  The catch would work best for a over confident villain - but only if the group had a member who qualified.  Then you'd have a "Wait - what do you mean I might die here? The witches told me the truth and in doing so really and truly deceived me!" type moment.

Richard

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 07:03:29 AM »
Not really.  The Shakespearean origin of "not born of woman" covered someone who was born via C-section.  If that counts as not being born of woman than artificial insemination would cover "not fathered by man".

I can see PCs who hear about that starting their search with clones etc.  The catch would work best for a over confident villain - but only if the group had a member who qualified.  Then you'd have a "Wait - what do you mean I might die here? The witches told me the truth and in doing so really and truly deceived me!" type moment.

Richard

Which is why you go with anti-matter as your catch.  Anyone who can figure out how to acquire and safely carry around an anti-matter weapon was going to ruin your whole day regardless.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »
Which is why you go with anti-matter as your catch.  Anyone who can figure out how to acquire and safely carry around an anti-matter weapon was going to ruin your whole day regardless.

As someone whose job it is to maintain and repair machines that make, store and shoot antimatter...   Oh, yeah.

Current anti-matter "weapon" technology requires about 5 square miles of "gun", that produces less than billionth of a spoonful of antimatter over the course of a day.  The target would have to be coaxed into standing still at the aperture of the gun for minutes, at least, if not hours and would die of acute radiation poisoning from the residual radiation created by the gun long before actual antimatter would give them anything more than the equivalent of a very, very small cigarette burn.

;) :P

Offline Anher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »

Richard

That would be the Shakespearean origin, yes, which is why I said it depends on how strictly you define 'fathered'. If you mean has no genetic material coming from a male, then it would have to be a clone. If you mean in the traditional sense of two people not having gotten together to have a child, then, yes AI would cover it.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 05:53:32 PM »
As someone whose job it is to maintain and repair machines that make, store and shoot antimatter...   Oh, yeah.

Current anti-matter "weapon" technology requires about 5 square miles of "gun", that produces less than billionth of a spoonful of antimatter over the course of a day.  The target would have to be coaxed into standing still at the aperture of the gun for minutes, at least, if not hours and would die of acute radiation poisoning from the residual radiation created by the gun long before actual antimatter would give them anything more than the equivalent of a very, very small cigarette burn.

;) :P

Exactly.  It's more or less like having a catch of TWG Personally Kicking Me In The Balls.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
It probably doesn't happen often but I bet his Nikes have a decent weapon rating.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »
One thing I like about the internet is that you get the most eclectic mixtures of people. Every once in a while someone just suddenly turns out to be an antimatter-generator-machine-maker.

I wonder if we have any third world dictators here.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 02:37:36 AM »
I  wish we could '+1' posts on this forum...
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 05:58:55 AM »
One thing I like about the internet is that you get the most eclectic mixtures of people. Every once in a while someone just suddenly turns out to be an antimatter-generator-machine-maker.

You can't prove anything :P

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »

Third world? Pffft. Third world's too easy.  Anyone who doesn't at least have a credible plan to become the dictator of one of the top five nations doesn't need to be GMing.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »

I'm a technician at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory...  If the Laboratory was the Death Star, I'd be one of the guys in the big, black helmets who pulls the lever to shoot the super-laser.  If it was the starship Enterprise, I'd be one of the guys with the red shirts down in the engine room with Scotty.

My standard username is a big clue, for those who know the lingo.

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »

Apparently there is a vacancy in Libya at the moment.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »

Is Supervillain close enough? ;)
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 12:53:27 AM »
Is Supervillain close enough? ;)

Only reasonably successful Supervillains.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 02:03:24 AM »
Only reasonably successful Supervillains.

Otherwise known as politicians.