Author Topic: Dresden Files RPG in New Orleans  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Icefang01

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files RPG in New Orleans
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »
Good idea. A power vacuum works well like that. I'm trying to work on a ghoul clan that can frequent the still devastated areas in the lower-ninth. I may toy with a bit of Black Court as well. I'm trying to find a way to toy with Voodoo and Hoodoo as all magic is built on your faith in it, be it divine (Michael, Forthill) or simply arcane (Harry, White Council).

Offline wolfiejinn

• Participant
  • Member of the 'Za Lord's Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
Well, if this is an online game, I'm willing to participate!  A DFRPG in Nawlins sound just like something I'd adore (I'm also a Sookie Stackhouse vampire fan so I'm all over it).  Been a long time since I was in New Orleans, over 15 years, and it was my senior trip in high school so I don't think I'd be much help.  Drop me a line if it's online and you need a player.  I just picked up the game books, I'm new to the Fate system, so I've been trying to create a were-form character from scratch (twitch).  Not sure how I'm doing. LOL

Were-leopard appaloosa in Louisiana?  That'd blow yer mind. LOL

Wolfie
People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
      Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline ladyrane

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 11:34:22 PM »
There is an online Dresden game set in New Orleans.  Check it out:  http://soulfire.nek0kaburi.net/index.php?title=Main_Page.  It is a MUSH; you will need to familiarize yourself with the way those are played (if you don't already know) and download a client called SimpleMU* (if you don't already have it) to connect.

Offline Auronculari

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »
I live in Baton Rouge, and I've just been voluntold to run a game set in New Orleans. Some of my quick notes on the setting are...

* Neutral ground: Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop. It's one of the oldest buildings in New Orleans, and for a long time was run independent of the local powers because of Jean Lafitte's influence (he was a local privateer big-wig back in the day). It's also small, crowded, dark, musty, and thematically perfect for a hole-in-the-wall meeting place. Practically, you might have to invent a side room or second floor to segregate the supernaturals from the normal patrons, but that wouldn't be too hard.

* St. Louis Cathedral: I've been in there a few times, and I think it would be more interesting to have it be holy ground but not be controlled by anyone. A place of rest and temporary refuge, but not true safety.

* Garden district: This is a good place to have some sort of stabilizing, positive influence. This area is very near to some bad areas but is actually rather nice, leading nicely to a setup where something is protecting it against the corrupting influence of its surroundings.

* French quarter: I want this area to be *full* of stuff. You have neutral ground at Lafitte's, surrounded by White Court holdings, holy ground at St. Louis, graveyards infested with ghosts and/or necromancers, and tons of tourists just to make things interesting.

* Farther afield: Outside of the Quarter and the Garden district you have the Superdome (which I think should definitely be haunted or corrupt in some way after what happened there during Katrina), the remnants of Charity Hospital, and the CBD, which are all ideal settings to play into the overall theme of corruption.

* Antagonists: I've been working a few angles on developing antagonists. The Black Court (maybe even Mavra) may be trying to establish a foothold
(click to show/hide)
, while Ghouls are in the ruined areas of the Lower 9th and New Orleans East, possibly some Kemmler disciples and other dark sorcerers/wizards hiding in the shadows. The more ubiquitous, theme-level antagonists would include the White Court (primarily in the Quarter) and ghosts. I am intentionally avoiding the fae, because they don't suit the themes I'm going for, but I can see how they might fit into some games. Instead, the spirit world will be more strongly populated with ghosts and other spirits (especially Lwa), because I think they suit NOLA's character better.

* Allies: It would be foolish to ignore New Orleans's connection to Voodoo. Setting up the voodoo community as evil or corrupt is too obvious, though, and I thought it might be a bit flat. Instead, I'm going to turn the Voodoo cultural center and the current high priestess into New Orleans's version of Father Forthill - a strong, faith-based practitioner and servant to the Lwa. She can also be one of the links in the Paranet, holding the supernatural community together. The PCs will round out this category; I don't want there to be too many allies, or the game wont be as overtly corrupt as I'm shooting for.

I'm still working the details right now. Still though, I hope this helps. :)

Offline Maltese Falcon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The_Detective
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 11:23:49 PM »
So, I'm trying to flesh out a game that I'll hopefully be starting in a month or so. Since I'm close by I decided to use New Orleans. A few nice points, a) The City of New Orleans website has .pdf's of the separate areas of the city road maps

I know it's off topic but I am writing a book based in New Awlins and even though my family is from there I am home bound now and can't really walk the streets.
What is that website you are talking about it could help me with the book.

Plus I think I will have my groups City based there too just because I love the city so much.
In life, up is down,
down is up.
The answer is up to you,
so get it right.
~Spencer (aka me)

Offline Maltese Falcon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The_Detective
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 11:26:27 PM »
Oh as for ideas on your game.

Use the Bayou and surrounding areas.
There are lots of legends you could tap into as having never never connections.
The Fae, or even some Loa.
Plus you could have things that live in the cities of the dead famous to that city.
In life, up is down,
down is up.
The answer is up to you,
so get it right.
~Spencer (aka me)

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
* Neutral ground: Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop. It's one of the oldest buildings in New Orleans, and for a long time was run independent of the local powers because of Jean Lafitte's influence (he was a local privateer big-wig back in the day). It's also small, crowded, dark, musty, and thematically perfect for a hole-in-the-wall meeting place. Practically, you might have to invent a side room or second floor to segregate the supernaturals from the normal patrons, but that wouldn't be too hard.
Beat me to it! Consider me as seconding Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop as a great neutral ground choice.

Offline Maltese Falcon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The_Detective
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »

Great place to go to, but I would never go there IRL, all the tourists go there, the 2x nightly vampire tour as well as the ghosts tours use it as a watering hole mid tour.
Kinda ruins the vibe.

In game it's easy to rewrite something as workable because in game you can say it's outta the way and no one goes there.
In life, up is down,
down is up.
The answer is up to you,
so get it right.
~Spencer (aka me)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
N'awlins is almost too obvious a choice for a DFRPG game to be set in. Sooo much that can be done there. I don't live there but I've been there plenty of times in the last 8 years, including after Katrina, simply because I have so much family in the general area (Bay St. Louis and Lake Charles). Voudoun should relaly be the primary source of magic in the area, as such you could have a constant power struggle between the Vampire Courts and the Local Vouduon Priest's for control of the City.
With all that goes on there I'd think that most of the French Quarter could be considetred Neutral Ground for everyone's sake, but that could get boring if people keep running in there to lose bad guys. geez the flavor of the quarter alone can change from one building to the next; high end hotels mixed with decaying old houses, fake voudou shops, bars, strip clubs, and tons of legends and lore plus tons of live music that might attract a Fae or two.
The only thing you'd really be misisng supernaturally-speaking would be were-wolves, but where there are swamps, there are were-gators...8)
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 12:42:03 AM »
Were-rats (huge harbor and water town)
Were-panthers (myth of the swamp cats)
Honey Island Swamp Monster
Think about all of the cool historically active characters such as:
Marie Paris Laveau (queen of voodoo)
Jean Lafitte (pirate that was an active participant in wars of his time not to mention his treasure)
I really could go on for a very long time.  However, I have people in my games that read this and they may come back to my game at some point.  I have lots of notes I am willing to share.  Just email me and I will be happy to share.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline kenposan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
I want do do a game in New Orleans as well. Anyone here willing to share their city guides to help me out?
Dark magic. It was fun and easy. Like Lego.