Author Topic: Questions regarding Foci  (Read 4593 times)

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Questions regarding Foci
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:12:35 AM »
I'm confused by the rules regarding focus items. I may be reading things wrong, but between the writted rules, the item slots table and the example items, the all seem to contradict eachother.

As i read it an item can add power or control, not both, though this later contradicts itself, or seems to. But the example for Carlos' staff contradicts this, giving +1 to power and control. Further, it only takes up two slots, but the table seems to indicate that a staff-sized item should be between 5 and 6 slots. What gives? Which is correct as per the game?

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: Questions regarding Foci
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:37:10 AM »
Working backwards...

5-6 slots is a max, not an availible range.

You're probably reading it wrong.  You can have power and control on the same item.  The numbers on power compared to the numbers on control don't have to match.  The numbers on power have to match and the numbers on control have to match.  Examples:

+4 power to air costs 4 slots and is fine.
+2 power to water/air costs 4 slots and is fine.
+2 power to air, +2 control to air costs 4 slots and is fine.
+2 power to air, +1 control to water/air costs 4 slots and is fine.
+1 power to water/air, +1 control to earth/fire costs 4 slots and is fine.
+1 power to air, +2 control to air, +1 control to water costs 4 slots but is an illegal item.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 06:01:16 AM »
And just to mention, a staff-sized item can have less than 5 slots used, but for a focus item to have more than 4 slots used on it, it must be staff sized.

So you can have a staff with 1 slot used on it, and later on add slots if you wish.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:14:50 AM »
Oh, and don't forget that with Foci, you need to delineate whether their bonuses apply to offensive or defensive uses.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »
Okay, so say I have a rod which gives me +1 to power and +1 to control for offensive earth magic, that's 2 slots right?

how about item slots as they apply to the character? how many do you get for free or as a bonus from other stuff?

and do I have it right that you may spend a refinement to add an extra item slot?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
One receives two focus slots when one purchases channeling or evocation, and two more with ritual or thaumaturgy. Refinement adds two more.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
Sponsored Magic provides 4 slots (-2 slots for each of evocation or thaumaturgy that the recipient possesses)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »
Refinement adds two more.

Only if you don't take another element or specialization bonuses.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
Only if you don't take another element or specialization bonuses.
One receives two focus slots when one purchases channeling or evocation, and two more with ritual or thaumaturgy. Refinement adds two more.

each refinement adds two more? or each refinement that you specifically roll into focci and stuff?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:48:54 PM »
Refinement CAN add two more, if you choose for it to do so rather than granting specialization bonuses (if those are available to you; they are not available to those without Evocation or Thaumaturgy) or an additional element (available only for Evocation)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline beachhead1973

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
okay, I think i get it now

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 04:24:16 PM »
Quick aside, long as the topic is here. If I'm a Focused Practitioner with a Lore skill of +4, that gives me 6 focus item slots? 2 free for the FP class and 4 more from the Lore skill?
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Quick aside, long as the topic is here. If I'm a Focused Practitioner with a Lore skill of +4, that gives me 6 focus item slots? 2 free for the FP class and 4 more from the Lore skill?

Not at all. You get 2 focus item slots for each channeling and ritual, so if you have either, you have 2, if you have both, you have 4.

Lore determines how many focus item slots you may put on 1 focus item. So with a lore of 4 and 4 focus item slots from channeling and ritual, you could put all of them on 1 focus item. This is kind of important, because you can't use more than one focus item on one spell.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »
This is kind of important, because you can't use more than one focus item on one spell.

Quote?
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 04:46:22 PM »
Ok, I slightly misremembered, but there is something there (YS279)

You can’t benefit from the same type of bonus
(e.g., a control bonus) from two or more items
at the same time—so if you had two items, one
with a +2 control bonus and another with a +1
control bonus, the total effect is a +2 to control.

So you could use an item up to your lore for power and another for control, but if you have mixed items, the higher bonus would count, they would not combine.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal