Author Topic: New player, lookin for help going from concept to character..  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Mutt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
New player, lookin for help going from concept to character..
« on: October 10, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
Hi All,
New to the game and looking for a bit of assistance putting a concept into a character.  I have already discussed some of the stuff with my GM as to background on Death, so that isn’t an issue.

Death- is neutral, however, doesn’t care for undead because they cheated him/her.  In this game world Death is the ferryman on the River. 

My character survived a horrid accident (plane crash), unharmed.  This associated him with Death. 

The character’s looks that I have come up with so far, all center around a hockey mask (actually one of the bullet proof masks like the one’s from Army of Two), but the same thing.  When he puts it on the mask actually forms to his face and he almost has the appearance of Ghost Rider without the flames, just a floating skull above the body.  He wears a hoodie to attempt to hide this from view, and it only occurs when he has the mask on. 
   Death has many people like him, at least 30 around the world.

I envision him kind of like a Casey Jones type from the Ninja Turtles, going around with a beat stick.

As for powers, I am looking for the ability to take a whoopin.  The GM has already said that I would be immune to any type of undead curse (zombie/vamp/etc…) due to my position with Death.  I don’t see the character as super strong, or fast, just impossible to kill (more or less). 

He is a gun dealer, and has a strange ability to know if something is going to cause a death from touching it.  This applies to the guns he sells, and anything else.  He doesn’t know how the death is going to occur, or when, only that what he touched is going to be the instrument used.  That said, he takes the same view as Death, it happens, and sometimes to good people but rarely will he interject in the events to "save" anyone.  So this is more for knowledge then anything else.  The exceptions being the true innocent (small kids, people from another culture that wouldn't know any better) that kind of thing, and any death caused by an undead (because the undead isn't supposed to exist in the first place so they change the "fate" of things.   

As fluff, the GM is allowing him to walk people across the river and ride the boat with them to the after life.  Again, he mostly does this with kids, because Death can be rather scary, and he needs to get the guardian's (parents, etc...) permission.  He helps them say good-bye, that kind of thing!  He also has the ability to give up a piece of his life (one year), to give a person a second chance, again he usually only does this with kids.  In saying such, he knows exactly when (to the date) he is going to die, provided unnatural causes don't change fate.

I want to keep the Death symbolism as broad as possible, culture wise.  I want some type of connection to owls (Native American), and ravens (Poe),  I am trying to work some Anubis, and Morrigan in there as well.  He is of Irish decent so Morrigan stands to reason (again the crows). 

Anyway, where I am having the problems… this is the first guy I have played in the system, and thus created.  What template should I use, Scion, Emissary, re-flavor the Knights?  How do I go about making the guy do what I present?  I know the toughness powers, but the seeing the deaths from instruments? Anything else you guys (and gals) can come up with for fluff or crunch?

Thanks,

Mutt 

Another question, this one pertains to the Fay Knights.  Another player is making the Autumn Knight.  No problems re-flavoring the powers, but wondering what to re-flavor them as… for instance winter is all about cold, darkness, etc… summer is all about fire, heat, light.  Autumn, so far I have come up with wind (it brings the cold of winter), age (due to the end of the life cycle for many plants and animals until spring - well winter is the end but autumn leads up to it, they are past their prime).  Any other ideas?  Thanks again…

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New player, lookin for help going from concept to character..
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:40 AM »
Emissary template is definitely appropriate, and the power you want (for being able to sense death) is supernatural sense (YS165).

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:02 AM »
This character is CLEARLY an Emissary of Power.  Take a look at the Supernatural Sense and Psychometry powers for examples of how to deal with that kind of unusual senses.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:12:16 AM »

The character’s looks that I have come up with so far, all center around a hockey mask (actually one of the bullet proof masks like the one’s from Army of Two), but the same thing.  When he puts it on the mask actually forms to his face and he almost has the appearance of Ghost Rider without the flames, just a floating skull above the body.  He wears a hoodie to attempt to hide this from view, and it only occurs when he has the mask on. 

You could use the mask as flavour, or tie it to human form (i.e.there are some powers you can't use unless you wear the mask), or treat it as an Item of Power granted by your patron.

You haven't given a refresh level, but I'd say that you should have "Marked by Power".  Other than that, it looks as if you're looking for some level of toughness on top of Supernatural Sense / Psychometry.

Or maybe a power of just not dying when you should.  In case you haven't noticed it, there's another thread about that at http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,29529.0.html

Hope this helps!

Richard

Offline Mutt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
You haven't given a refresh level, but I'd say that you should have "Marked by Power".  Other than that, it looks as if you're looking for some level of toughness on top of Supernatural Sense / Psychometry.

Sorry, 10/35 for power level.  Pretty cool group, this toon, a knight of the fairy court (Autumn), and a beefed up red court infected.

Anyway, if I use the item as an item of power, I.E. say the mask grants the power of toughness (not dieing), does that still cost against my refresh?  Is it a lower cost since it isn't a full time ordeal?

My current plan looks like... Toughness at a -6, Marked by power -1, supernatural sense -1, I see Dead people -1.  Leaving 1 left over for the refresh.  May knock the toughness down to a -4, and take some communications with crows/owls (animals that represent death) type deal, but not too sure about that one currently.

I am going with the emissary of power.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »
An Item of Power gives a 1 refresh rebate if it can be hidden easily and a 2 refresh rebate if it can't.

So taking one would give you enough free refresh for Echoes Of The Beast (Crow/Owl).

Taking a Catch for your Toughness would also free up refresh, in case you need more for some reason.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 02:02:37 AM »
In the rules as written all toughness powers need to have a catch.  There are two things that effect how much a catch is worth - how common the item is and how many people know about it.  Of course, it can't reduce the cost of the toughness below -1.

For example, Cold Iron is common and a Well Known against the Fae, but if a Fae is has only inhuman toughness it's only worth 1 point.

Might I suggest Water (putting out your flames) if you want a common element and New Life if you want it to be very rare?

Richard

Offline VVolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 05:19:41 AM »
To me it would seem the catch is that he has to be wearing the mask, +0 for being a general catch. If there are 30 or so such people around the world it might be possible for some research to turn up the information, so +1 there. Though the availability of the catch is difficult to measure... If the mask can only be taken off by you, then +0, if anyone or anything could take off the mask, then you might could get a +2 out of it, but if you did this you could probably expect people knocking it off to happen on occasion.

Also you may want to clarify with your GM which vamps you'd be immune to, Black is obviously yes, but red and white court I'd suspect you might still vulnerable to (Otherwise your red-court infected buddy would be swiping the mask)

Offline Mutt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »
Also you may want to clarify with your GM which vamps you'd be immune to, Black is obviously yes, but red and white court I'd suspect you might still vulnerable to (Otherwise your red-court infected buddy would be swiping the mask)

Sorry, I misspoke, I am not per say immune to vamps, I am immune to anything that would cause me to go "undead", so I am immune to the "disease".  They can still harm me, I would just die rather then be turned. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »
If the mask is an IoP, then it shouldn't also give a Catch rebate like that. No double-dipping.

Being non-vampable is probably just an aspect/fluff thing, given that turning has no mechanics.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
If the mask is an IoP, then it shouldn't also give a Catch rebate like that. No double-dipping.

So wait, are you saying that the IoP should not be it's own catch or are you saying that the toughness power on the IoP doesn't need a catch? I could agree with the first one, but not the second.

Being non-vampable is probably just an aspect/fluff thing, given that turning has no mechanics.

^^What I was just going to say.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 04:18:51 AM »
In retrospect, my statement concerning IoPs and The Catch there was one of the worst worded sentences I have ever written.

What I meant was this:

If you have Toughness from an IoP, then your Catch shouldn't be "Toughness only applies when using the IoP".

That's getting two rebates for the price of one and therefore bad.