Author Topic: Harry's belt in Fool Moon? How would you stat it?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Harry's belt in Fool Moon? How would you stat it?
« on: October 10, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
I am looking for enchanted Item ideas for my wizard, how would you stat his belt that he used once in Fool Moon?  Would it just be an aspect, or would it be like the Riki healing spell that would make his injuries lessen temporarily?  I don't have my books with me at the moment.  Any help would be great.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's belt in Fool Moon? How would you stat it?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
I'd render it as several free tags of an aspect along the lines of 'Supercharged', which, among other things, could be used to buy off compels against consequences a la 'contradictory aspects', thus allowing them to be temporarily ignored, but not actually removing them (thus the 'crash' that Harry experienced when the belt's effects wore off)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »
You could stat it out as granting access to a temporary Power.  Have it give two physical stress bubbles (unknown catch) for the duration of the scene and allow you to remove one mild physical consequence at the time of activation.  Give it a cost of 2FP to activate.

That gives you a pretty fair boost to the physical track but you don't get any of the additional benefits of toughness/recovery powers, so I think it balances out well enough.  I don't think I'd allow it to be a permanent Power but it wouldn't be bad on a potion or EI.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
Are you talking about the Hexen Belt because that would temporary use (fate points) of a IoP.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »
Honestly, I'd stat it as a Power, with a Refresh cost. The thing corrupts your mind and takes away free will, so it stands to reason it would cost Refresh to have it.

In fact, I might even do it as a Power AND an Aspect, for the Compels.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:42:03 PM »
They are not referring to the hexunwolf belt he used. Unless I am mistaken the op meant the belt buckle Harry had carved for himself and used like a battery to store power in. Iirc it was a silver bear and he tapped into its power in the encounter after he jumped out of the moving vehicle.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
I think we have a whole bunch of confusion going on.  Harry used a potion in Fool Moon to do the ubercaffeinated trick for a short time.  Later in Blood Rites he used a belt buckle to come at stamina refreshing from a different angle.  The only belts in FM had nothing to do with injuries.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
They are not referring to the hexunwolf belt he used. Unless I am mistaken the op meant the belt buckle Harry had carved for himself and used like a battery to store power in. Iirc it was a silver bear and he tapped into its power in the encounter after he jumped out of the moving vehicle.

The silver bear belt buckle wasn't in Fool Moon, but it was the one I was referring to in my post.  I suppose the same applies to the potion he used to go up against the lycanthropes in Fool Moon, though.

Sorry for adding to the confusion, I guess.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
Yeah sorry, the belt he used to store power in, I just got the wrong book.  It is not the hexenwolf belt, but the one he made to act as a battery.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »
The scene in the industrial park leading up to the turkey bomb?
As I said, then, multiple free tags of an otherwise-fragile aspect (the aspect dissipates once all tags are consumed) along the lines of 'Supercharged', with the option to use such tags to buy off compels against consequences in the manner described in the sidebar discussing seemingly-contradictory aspects.
The number of tags available from a single activation of the item being equal to one-third the item's net Power.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 11:54:33 PM »
You could use the super coffee mechanics in your story.
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
Ways:
Where is that in YS?  I missed that.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 12:21:21 AM »
Its under Stimulant in page 304 of your story (in potion examples).
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 02:35:33 AM »
Thanks.  Yeah I could use that.