Author Topic: Templates for My Arizona Game (Now with Elementals) (And your little Dog too)  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Templates for My Arizona Game (Now with Elementals)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 05:52:23 AM »
A Word on Tandem Templates
   As a Gm and a player, i tend to get bored with playing one character for protracted amounts of time. Its Why i usually Gm as opposed to play in Games. Lots of characters with varying powers. So back in my DnD days i came up with the tandem system, which is two characters who work in harmony or often in place of each other. This is my First Tandem Template he Totem Animal. It works Tandem off of My Shaman Template. And soon I’ll write up the tandem Shaman.

Totem Animals
[/color]
   A Totem animal is Forged by the binding of a Shaman to the power of nature. The specific form it takes is determined by the Shaman’s personality and Echoes of the beast ability. So a Dog Shaman would create a dog, a raven a raven. and so on and so forth.
   They are physical being that has its own personality and its own thoughts. It isn’t an extension of the Shaman but more like a child or partner. A child of the shaman and his magic. They can project their thoughts to communicate with others, though many of them abstain from doing this around strangers, they tend to get tired of people screaming talking dog. Though often they just rationalize it away. 
   The Totem is tied to His Shaman very deeply. Allowing him to use some of the Shamans Magic as well as binding it to his lifeblood. If a shaman Dies so too does his Totem animal, and its believed viceversa. Being Half Spirit creatures they are comfortable in both the Nevernever and the Physical World. Most animals of a similar type view the Totem as a Strong member of their own species, and react accordingly, either fleeing, submitting, or seeking to defeat the Totem. (If you so choose you may treat this as a -1 effect, though i felt it was +0 so i just left it out.) Totems come in many forms usually Mammal, or Bird, though Aquatic and Reptile Totems aren’t unheard of.

Musts: High Concept must reflect both Animal Nature and Shaman they are bound too. Ie: Rio’s Magic Dog, or Guardian raven of Lake. Also if a Totem takes either Evocation, or Thaumaturgy it instantly loses its * Abilities. As it is no longer bound to its Shaman.

World Walker [-2]
Mind Speech [+0 or -1] (See Below)
The Sight [-1]
Soul Gaze [+0]
*Find My Shaman [-1] (See Below)
*Rote Magic [-1] (See Below)

*Only if using the Tandem Template, if not replace these With either Channeling or Rituals: Totemic. (Ectomancy, but with Spirits as opposed to Ghosts.)

Options: I highly Suggest Sacred Guardian [-1] OW80, to give yourself a tiny boost. Or Any of the Inhuman Physical abilities. A good catch would be mad made weaponry or True magic. Even Faith for a more darkness aligned Totem. You might also Consider a Demense of Your shaman’s Home or Swift Transition if not bound to a shaman.

Minimum Refresh Cost: -5

Mind Speech [+0]
Denotes the ability to project ones thoughts into a room as a form of communication. This expresses itself to the human mind as Spoken words. (Much like Mouse during the Changes Case File.) Anyone within ear shot, One Zone typically, can hear the Speaker, and is thus no different than speaking verbally.
Dedicated Speech [+1] This denotes the ability to only be heard by one person. Having no way to verbally or mentally communicate with any other living being save the one you are dedicated too.
True Mind Speech: [-1] Allows the user to send close circuit messages directly into the minds of others. This is one way communication. And could be easily duplicated through thaumaturgy.

Find my Shaman [-1]
As long as the Totems Shaman is not being veiled or warded from the Totems senses the Totem knows exactly where he is. Other Thresholds or other such blocks Require a Discipline Roll to Find, subject to similar Divination magic resists. If the Totems Conviction is greater than the Threshold or base defense of the block. It is assumed the ability still functions.

Rote Magic [-1]
A Totem has all the Rote Spells his Shaman does, He casts the Rote using his own Skills and takes all consequences. If the Rote requires a Focus Item, the Roll suffers a Penalty equal to the Bonus granted by the Focus.
Many Shamans dedicate at least one Totem Rote and give one of their focus slots to the Totem. Though the Totem may take Refinement [-1] for the SOLE purpose of DUPLICATING a preexisting focus item. They cannot use this ability to Create their own Focus Items, Only the Shaman can do that for them.

I think I like this too.  Haven't really put my mind to considering the game balance, but i definitely like the concept there.