Poll

Your story is finished, and it's time to be read by (hopefully) millions or people! How do you approach publishing?

Hire an agent, and sign on with a publishing company assuming they love your work.
9 (100%)
Self-Publish after attempting to be signed on by a publisher, but ultimately rejected.
0 (0%)
Self-Publish outright because of the lessened difficulty of it and the increasing sales of eReaders.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: You've finished your Manuscript! It's Ready to be Seen by the World! Do you?...  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
I know it's been discussed in other topics, but we never had a poll to see what other aspiring authors were thinking. Feel free to leave any explanations of why you chose your option. Otherwise I'm just interested to see how it turns out!
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Waxbullet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
At least in theory.  It is almost as hard to get an agent as it is to find a publisher.  So far I, at least, haave been unsuccessful in finding either.

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
See I feel like self publishing is the way to go myself. You can get a publisher later if you want. That said I think if you're going to self publish you need to hire or get an editor to go over your novel prior to you publishing it. Someone who's job it is to catch mistakes and help clean up an authors work.

Most who self publish though never do that and because of that their work isn't as good as it could be. I think if you're going to self publish get an editor to go over your stuff first it's not something you can skip you want to put out your best work.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Before you do anything, read the Business Rusch column on http://kriswrites.com/. Be prepared to do some digging, because there's a lot of stuff you need to know before you decide.....

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Mishell

• Participant
    • View Profile
I'm an old-fashioned sort; I won't be self-publishing.  I believe in division of labor (it's what pulled us out of the stone age after all!).  I believe that people train and work hard to become agents, publishers, editors, etc., and that they have specialized skills and knowledge and deserve their pay.  I also don't try to sell my own house, cut my own hair, fix my own car.  I'm just that kind of person.  I want to do what I do best (write) and leave the publicity to publicists, the design to designers, etc.

If a publisher doesn't pick up my book, I'll just assume it's not a good fit for today's marketplace, and write another, and try again.  It's not so important that My Words Get Out There that I am willing to forgo the security of a second and third opinion on their quality.

That said, at some point in the future when I'm flush with cash, I may self-publish some self-help stuff that I don't want to make money on and just want to share with family/friends.  Personal experiences etc., life lessons learned, stuff most people wouldn't care about but would still be nice to have in an attractive package.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Personally Self Publishing seems like taking the easy way out, it doesn't feel as good nor does it speak to your confidence in you work. 

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
I would have voted for the first two, but that wasn't an option.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Let's not assume that not being picked up.means your work isn't good enough.
The mind set to market, the ability to 'sell' yourself and your work, your finances to get face to face at conferences, and other factors play into.this as well.  What I do know is that.deciding to.self publish is a huge step.  You are financially.placing your.own.funds at risk. You are also your only resource--so you will market, distribute, cart books, probably still need to pay workshop fees etc to get your work out.  Is that why you chose to write?

I.ditto.the editor step, but make sure they are professional grade. Editing isn't grammar checker.i
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:43:08 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
I'm an old-fashioned sort; I won't be self-publishing.  I believe in division of labor (it's what pulled us out of the stone age after all!).  I believe that people train and work hard to become agents, publishers, editors, etc., and that they have specialized skills and knowledge and deserve their pay.  I also don't try to sell my own house, cut my own hair, fix my own car.  I'm just that kind of person.  I want to do what I do best (write) and leave the publicity to publicists, the design to designers, etc.

If a publisher doesn't pick up my book, I'll just assume it's not a good fit for today's marketplace, and write another, and try again.  It's not so important that My Words Get Out There that I am willing to forgo the security of a second and third opinion on their quality.

That said, at some point in the future when I'm flush with cash, I may self-publish some self-help stuff that I don't want to make money on and just want to share with family/friends.  Personal experiences etc., life lessons learned, stuff most people wouldn't care about but would still be nice to have in an attractive package.

But the problem is, these days, the division of labor is uneven. Contacts, which use to be strightforward have suddenly become landmines. How would you like paying an agent 15% even after you've ended the business relationship? Or give up ALL oversea rights to your work, or your entire backlist?

If you get a contract, have a lawyer with IP background go over with a fine tooth comb. The money spent will be worth it.

Both agents and publishers are scrambling to make money and its the writer who is getting the short end of the stick. Publishers are underreporting their Ebook sales. Agents are becoming publishers, blurring the line between the two.

Don't be blind on this. This isn't the same field as it was ten yers ago. Be careful.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I remember hearing from Pat Rothfuss that there was a sight where individuals that took advantage of authors were reported for other writer's future reference, does anybody know what that might be?

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
I remember hearing from Pat Rothfuss that there was a sight where individuals that took advantage of authors were reported for other writer's future reference, does anybody know what that might be?
There are a few of these.  The two that come to mind are preditors and editors, I'm not sure if that's the url, and the other is writerbeware.

But the problem is, these days, the division of labor is uneven. Contacts, which use to be strightforward have suddenly become landmines. How would you like paying an agent 15% even after you've ended the business relationship? Or give up ALL oversea rights to your work, or your entire backlist?

If you get a contract, have a lawyer with IP background go over with a fine tooth comb. The money spent will be worth it.

Both agents and publishers are scrambling to make money and its the writer who is getting the short end of the stick. Publishers are underreporting their Ebook sales. Agents are becoming publishers, blurring the line between the two.

Don't be blind on this. This isn't the same field as it was ten yers ago. Be careful.

Craig
If you have an agent trying to screw you out of all this, they're not a good one.  The good agents will fight for you to keep all your rights, and they'll make sure the publishers aren't taking them away from you.  I'm not saying don't get an IP lawyer, because that could be a good idea no matter what.  But also check out agents--see who they have as clients and such--anyone can become an agent, and I think I've seen the example given of someone making their cat an agent.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline AdamPepper

• Participant
    • View Profile
I've been kicking around the publishing industry for about a decade.  I've had two agents and been a bridesmaid, not a bride, at least as far as a mass market deal goes. (I've published in the small press).  It's a tough road.  Self publishing is also a tough road, but for me, it's a lot more rewarding.  I took the plunge in July and self published a novel.  Aminar, I must say, it's not a short cut, and most certainly doesnt evidence a lack of faith in myself or my work.  It's the exact opposite.  I believe in my books and I'm taking it upon myself to make it happen.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
The mainstream publishing industry exists to sell books.  They have practice at it. They have people and established mechanisms in place for doing all the steps that come after writing; editing, cover art, marketing, assembling the physical object and getting it to bookstores, getting it to reviews who will spread the word, &c.  Being made up of human beings, they're not perfect, but odds very much favour them being able to be better at this than you are at figuring out from scratch how to do all of these steps for yourself.

I'd note, with respect to the original questions, that "hire an agent and sign on with a publishing company" is kind of a simplification.  Some editors favour submissions via agent; some agents favour clients who've already got an editor's interest.  Look at who is buying what and who is representing whom in fields similar to yours, go to conventions, talk to authors and editors about the business... do your research, basically.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Waxbullet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I agree with you neuro.  It is very hard to find either an editor or an agent.  It is easier to get the other once you have the first, whichever route you take.  I personally have been looking for an agent for children's books for a while, to no avail.  But I continue to strive.