Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Kyrian

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Getting Started
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to this. What advice would you seasoned writers offer to one with a stack of note-filled spiral bounds, some good ideas, and the attention span of a doormouse?

Figging Mint

Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »

Commit.   Write.   Make it a habit.   Go back and edit.

(I feel compelled to point out that Nanowrimo is once again upon us, and represents a ready made opportunity to commit, and to start building that habit.)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »
My advice is this for one, read Jim's Journal http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/. He gives a lot of great information on how to get started. I always thought myself a discovery writer, but kept finding myself getting bored and lost within my novel before the end. Outlines saved my writing. Having your novel roughly planned out from the start with notes on what comes next and so on and so forth, can really help keep you focused on the task at hand. Also do not stop writing it until it is complete. You get a new idea that you can't help but start? Don't. Write it down for future use, but finish what you started. Try setting a time of around two hours a day for Butt In Chair Hands On Keyboard writing. As in for those two hours you will do nothing, but write. Those are my quick tips, I hope they help. Also go check out AW http://absolutewrite.com/ It can be a time sink if you aren't careful, but there are tons of helpful and intelligent writers over there.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:11:35 PM by Darkshore »

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »
My advice is this for one, read Jim's Journal http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/. He gives a lot of great information on how to get started. I always thought myself a discovery writer, but kept finding myself getting bored and lost within my novel before the end. Outlines saved my writing. Having your novel roughly planned out from the start with notes on what comes next and so on and so forth, can really help keep you focused on the task at hand.

I know at least two published writers, one an NY Times bestseller, for whom having anything like an outline absolutely prevents them from ever writing the book.

Everyone's process is different.  Every piece of advice is worth experimenting with.  So long as you end the process with words on a page and finished stories, no method of getting there is wrong.

Also do not stop writing it until it is complete. You get a new idea that you can't help but start? Don't. Write it down for future use, but finish what you started.

I'm not seeing that starting new stuff while you still have something going is a problem so long as it does not stop you finishing what you have started.  I have one 470,000 word thing on my computer that needs one final pass and tightening of the later section to be ready to show people, on which I have been working off and on for fifteen years, and which I intend to do that to probably mid-next year; during that time I have written six other complete novels and several more in incomplete states, which have been floating around and being sent out to the publishing world and so on.

Try setting a time of around two hours a day for Butt In Chair Hands On Keyboard writing. As in for those two hours you will do nothing, but write.

If your life permits you to do that, you are fortunate. 

Look at it this way; if you want to publish a novel a year, that's almost certainly under 150,000 words of finished novel a year.  Which is three thousand words a week.  If you're Iain Banks, you do it all in one blazing through run of a month or three and spend the rest of the year goofing off.   If you're Terry Pratchett, you carry a laptop around with you and write in any thirty-second gap during which nobody's bothering you.  Both of these extremes seem to come with successful careers, critical acclaim and sales alike.  (If you're me, you sit down when you get in from work of a Friday, three Fridays out of four, and work from 6 or 7 pm until 2 or 3 am, using long weekends to work Thu and Sat or Fri and Sun as apt so that you get ahead enough to be able to do other things some weekends;  I'm not published, but except for the year I moved across the Atlantic and had several associated months of not being able to work at all, I've had a novel's worth of wordcount every year for a decade easy.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
To borrow a line:  Get black on white.
Just dive in, pick a favorite scene and just start writing if starting from the beginning kinda scares you then you can circle back to the beginning later after you've gotten into the habit of writing.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:59:40 AM »
I know at least two published writers, one an NY Times bestseller, for whom having anything like an outline absolutely prevents them from ever writing the book.

Everyone's process is different.  Every piece of advice is worth experimenting with.  So long as you end the process with words on a page and finished stories, no method of getting there is wrong.

I'm not seeing that starting new stuff while you still have something going is a problem so long as it does not stop you finishing what you have started.  I have one 470,000 word thing on my computer that needs one final pass and tightening of the later section to be ready to show people, on which I have been working off and on for fifteen years, and which I intend to do that to probably mid-next year; during that time I have written six other complete novels and several more in incomplete states, which have been floating around and being sent out to the publishing world and so on.

If your life permits you to do that, you are fortunate. 

Look at it this way; if you want to publish a novel a year, that's almost certainly under 150,000 words of finished novel a year.  Which is three thousand words a week.  If you're Iain Banks, you do it all in one blazing through run of a month or three and spend the rest of the year goofing off.   If you're Terry Pratchett, you carry a laptop around with you and write in any thirty-second gap during which nobody's bothering you.  Both of these extremes seem to come with successful careers, critical acclaim and sales alike.  (If you're me, you sit down when you get in from work of a Friday, three Fridays out of four, and work from 6 or 7 pm until 2 or 3 am, using long weekends to work Thu and Sat or Fri and Sun as apt so that you get ahead enough to be able to do other things some weekends;  I'm not published, but except for the year I moved across the Atlantic and had several associated months of not being able to work at all, I've had a novel's worth of wordcount every year for a decade easy.)

No offense but I didn't know my advice had to come with a disclaimer. I never stated this to be the end all be all advice. I stated what has worked for me which just might be similar to the OP due to the attention span comment (my ADD is hell to contend with when I need to focus on writing on the off days that I'm just not feeling it), and a few hours a day is a good thing to shoot for if you can. I understand your comment because yeah I can't either now that college has picked back up. But anyway, I just felt a bit miffed that you seemed to pick apart my advice when it works well for me and others like me. It would have been better for you to have just stated what worked for you that was perhaps different. My apologies, but it just struck a small nerve.  :-\

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 03:19:08 AM »
What I've done that has helped a ton.
Step 1-World Building.  Determine what you want to write and set a place that matches that tone.  Don't even start until you have this somewhat down(unless you work differently than me which is likely.  I spent six months making a world in a notebook with maps, cultures, nations, bestiaries, religions, characters, story ideas, calenders, and gibberish.)
Step 2-  Write a lot.  Set a minimum amount for a time period and strive to break that at every opportunity.  Mine is a page a day.  I've worked between 15 and 35 hours a week while doing that, but I'm a graduate and don't have a family so I have more time to work than many.  Do something that will not oppress your life.
Step 0- Write something that is fun for you, Until such time as you actually get good(That whole million words of bad prose before you get good thing) saleability doesn't matter as much as keeping up the practice.  That said, writing is very individual, just treat it as a part of who you are and don't let anything stop you.