Author Topic: Taking yourself out  (Read 10324 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Taking yourself out
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
So if you're playing a Mage, and you inflict enough mental (or physical if it's backlash) stress on yourself to be Taken Out, who narrates what happens?

Offline Dravokian

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Taking yourself out
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
if your doing so as a concession then you would but if not then I would think it falls to the gm's desecration. As a GM I wouldn't let you do so just to get a powerful spell off and then drop... id make you take all available consequences first unless it was a concession. But I would do it along the lines of the more consequences you took the lesser the narrative for the take out would be... for instance if you did it on first action so you could hit someone with a 20 stress attack and then fall I might have it kill you or seriously limit your abilities. If you had taken a minor, mod, sever, and then fell i would probably treat it as your body finally wore out from the pain and you fell asleep.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
You do, so make it dramatic and great! I imagine that the table would make suggestions and expect a reasonable "Taken out" result (no "I simply wake up refreshed several hours later"). The GM would be able to outline some of your opposition's goals and such. Honestly I'd expect it to be a negotiation between you and the table/GM, but if you do a good job then I would expect them to accept it.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:46:17 PM »
Well raw when you take someone out you get to pick the taken out result with limits of what ever is reasonable acceptable by the table, if you take yourself out I so no reasons why the same rule would not apply, probably with a stronger emphasis on what is reasonable.  That or you could see it as the person that forced the the wizard to use that much stress was the one that actually to the wizard out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:01:25 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 06:33:32 PM »
if your doing so as a concession then you would but if not then I would think it falls to the gm's desecration. As a GM I wouldn't let you do so just to get a powerful spell off and then drop... id make you take all available consequences first unless it was a concession. But I would do it along the lines of the more consequences you took the lesser the narrative for the take out would be... for instance if you did it on first action so you could hit someone with a 20 stress attack and then fall I might have it kill you or seriously limit your abilities. If you had taken a minor, mod, sever, and then fell i would probably treat it as your body finally wore out from the pain and you fell asleep.

I think you meant discretion but desecration is certainly funnier.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
for instance if you did it on first action so you could hit someone with a 20 stress attack and then fall I might have it kill you or seriously limit your abilities.
I don't think a character could do that, though. When they choose how many shifts of power they want to summon up, I think they take the stress at that point, and would be Taken Out before they could even focus the power into a spell. Without taking Consequences, they could only summon up enough power to take them out that way, which would be their Physical Stress Track +1. If they take Consequences they can get up to that (Consequences) + (Stress Track) stress mark. Any more than that and, once again, they are Taken Out before they can cast.
And that's before the backlash. But Backlash is almost irrelevant at that point.

Am I getting this right, folks? 1: Choose Shifts of power, 2: Take Stress, 3: Roll Discipline, 4: Take backlash/Make Fallout?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
I don't know, that's pretty murky territory. If you model it that way then you have all sorts of issues with casting. I say stress could be applied before casting, but regardless the spell ought to still work. Taking yourself out to cast a spell is entirely pointless otherwise, and it's just too dramatic and interesting an option to completely exclude.

Keep in mind though that a 20 shift evocation would be a b**** to control, even if you could call up that much power. We're already talking senior council mojo at that point.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
If just calling up energy is enough to take you out... I'd say that's death curse territory.

If you "merely" get taken out by backlash, on the other hand, that's negotiation time.  It's not quite a Taken Out result, since you could have chosen fallout instead of backlash, but it's not quite a typical concession situation, either.  I'd definitely say that's a "negotiate with your table & GM" type thing, rather than either a "Take-Out so GM controls result" or "Concession so player controls result".

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
I don't know, that's pretty murky territory. If you model it that way then you have all sorts of issues with casting. I say stress could be applied before casting, but regardless the spell ought to still work. Taking yourself out to cast a spell is entirely pointless otherwise, and it's just too dramatic and interesting an option to completely exclude.

I admit that I'm kinda extrapolating from info I got in the Faster Counterspelling thread (http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28988.0.html), Where it was explained to me that you take "Drawing power" stress separately before casting and taking Backlash Stress. I inferred that this means that there's a split second where the amount of power you draw can take you out, before shaping it into a spell.
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
If just calling up energy is enough to take you out... I'd say that's death curse territory.

Actually, it's the *only* way death curses make any sense.  Otherwise you could just channel like 200 shifts of mental stress and blow up the city or whatever.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02:30 AM »
Per the casting sequence on YS250, you take the stress before you make your control roll.  I would tend to think that succeeding on a control roll would be difficult while unconscious.  Death Curses are a specific exception and play by different rules entirely -- note that you can't simply cast for 1,000,000 shifts because you're going down anyway.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »
So if you're playing a Mage, and you inflict enough mental (or physical if it's backlash) stress on yourself to be Taken Out, who narrates what happens?
Since whomever takes out a victim sets the victim's fate and the character always "owns his own death scene", the player of the mage would narrate what happens.  See YS203.

Am I getting this right, folks? 1: Choose Shifts of power, 2: Take Stress, 3: Roll Discipline, 4: Take backlash/Make Fallout?
I use 1) set shifts of power and take any stress or consequences devoted to increasing power, 2) roll Discipline and take backlash stress / consequences if needed or desired.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:30:46 AM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 04:38:54 AM »
Since whomever takes out a victim sets the victim's fate and the character always "owns his own death scene", the player of the mage would narrate what happens.  See YS203.

Yeah, right there with you.  So long as it's clear that taking yourself out strictly off the summoned shifts of power means it will be a death curse and a death scene.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
I'm surprised that none of you are interested in maintaining something that could be so very good for a story. I guess I can understand if that's RAW, but still, I know that in my games taking your self out via casting (without it being a death curse) will always be an option, because it's wonderfully dramatic.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
I'm surprised that none of you are interested in maintaining something that could be so very good for a story.

I wouldn't say none of us... I'm not against taking yourself out with the backlash, but I prefer the idea of a young apprentice trying to impress his mentor pushing a spell attempt to a point where he passes out before being able to shape the power into a spell.

(Next Scene, water is flung onto the unconscious body of the apprentice. He sputters and sits up)
Apprentice: What happened?
Wizard: You got cocky. You tried to make a wedding cake when you were only being taught how to make cookies. Don't overstep your bounds, child.
www.savethevillain.com