Author Topic: Noob Questions  (Read 21143 times)

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2011, 03:44:55 AM »
I am not sure that you can actually make such an item or cast such a spell.

If you can, then it's not Lawbreaking to hit a monster with it.

You probably could.  Just figure out how to take the backlash Harry took from casting a spell without speaking and fire a shot of it at someone else.  I doubt it would really bother a lot of non-humans, especially the Fae, though.  Depending on whether you used actual raw magic or just the memory of it in the spell, it might even be a shot of free power if you did it to anyone who was capable of shaping magic.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2011, 04:57:29 AM »
Oooh, you've got me thinking interesting thoughts now. The fey can be nothing other than what they are, and what they are is set in stone for thousands of years. What happens then if you alter their sense of self? If they view themselves as something different do they become different?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
Oooh, you've got me thinking interesting thoughts now. The fey can be nothing other than what they are, and what they are is set in stone for thousands of years. What happens then if you alter their sense of self? If they view themselves as something different do they become different?

IF you can affect them, see Aurora and Lea.  I'd think you'd need to be an expert in fae psychology or way more powerful than any mortal to even begin to affect them by anything but luck or having some means to cheat.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »
IF you can affect them, see Aurora and Lea.  I'd think you'd need to be an expert in fae psychology or way more powerful than any mortal to even begin to affect them by anything but luck or having some means to cheat.

Leah (and to a lesser extent Aurora) are pretty much near-godlike in power, and as such can't be the template for all fae creatures when it comes to mental sturdiness. Could you mentally blast a pixie into something they're not? Possibly. Could you mindwipe a Hob totally, causing its lack of self image to make it disappear into non-existence? Maybe (provided you get a takeout). So fae that aren't so powerful as those two should be able to be affected.

Unless when you said, "I'd think you'd need to be an expert in fae psychology or way more powerful than any mortal to even begin to affect them by anything but luck or having some means to cheat.", you meant "them" as in Aurora or Leah only, not "them" as in fae in general. If you meant the former, I agree.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2011, 05:38:04 PM »
Actually meant them as fae in general since their thought process are astoundingly other than human.  If you hit a fae with a blast of mental chaos would it fall down twitching, say "oooh, pretty", or completely fail to notice that what you sent was trying to be chaotic?  Most mortals wouldn't have enough of a grasp of the fae mind to even begin to know how to craft something stressful to them.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2011, 07:19:43 PM »
Fae do not have powers making them immune to mental stress, therefore they take it the same way as anyone else when his with Domination or Incite Emotion. But the infliction of mental stress by mortals is pretty much handwavium, so it could work differently.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
I'm probably going to facepalm when I get the answer to this one:
Fate Point expenditure on an attack, is it allowed after the defense roll?
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
Eh, hard call.  If you go roll, calculate, opposing roll, I'd say no.  If you're lazy like me and roll defense while they roll offense, then yes.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
An attack is technically just a contest (YS193) and my read on contests is that both sides roll and resolve at the same time (in many contests there is no aggressor or defender so how would we define who goes first?). As Fate points are supposed to be resolved after a roll it seems to me that you would by definition be spending fate points after the defense roll has occurred.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 18, 2011, 01:18:32 AM »
If not, I've been playing all wrong.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2011, 11:26:41 PM »
Do the mild Consequences flushed away by a Recovery Toughness Power count towards the Fate Points awarded if you concede or are taken out?
www.savethevillain.com

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2011, 01:00:33 AM »
Quote from: YS206
Losing a conflict, either by concession or by
being taken out, grants the player one fate point
per consequence taken in the conflict.

By a strict reading of the rules, yes, as you did 'take' that consequence, even if you healed it at the first available opportunity.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough