Author Topic: Miniatures and the Dresden Files RPG (pics)  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Miniatures and the Dresden Files RPG (pics)
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:13:10 PM »
I've been giving some thought to the miniatures that I might want to use for the DFRPG. I don't know if there has been been any official word on the use or possible uses of minis in the game, but since I have a large collection of minis mainly for D&D and since my group seems to enjoy having a map and something to look at, I intend to use them in my game.

Anyone else here planning on using minis and tiles and battlemats and things like that?

I thought it might be cool too if you've got a really cool mini for use in Dresden that you post a pic or a link in case others have an interest in tracking it down and using it. Fred if you don't want pics posted I'll take these down.

This will be my chlorofiends.

This will be an animated chain demon.

This one is too cool not to use. Maybe a Denarian.

Give me yours.

Offline Kaos Wizard

• Conversationalist
  • Keep an open mind and it'll get wet when it rains
    • View Profile
Re: Miniatures and the Dresden Files RPG (pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:23:48 PM »
Wow those are all pretty awesome. My table pretty much requires minatures for any kind of combat, I would love to put those out.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »
Hmmm!  I hadn't thought of using minis with this game, but it's a neat idea.

Wizards used to have another CMG, called Dreamblade.  I'll bet you could pick up boosters really cheap on eBay.  The game was about people battling in their dreams, so the minis are quite surreal: http://ww2.wizards.com/DreamBlade/Gallery.aspx.  Some of them would make interesting summoned creatures.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:59:30 PM »
Some of those are nice!

Any word on whether the game will support things like minis and dungeon tiles/battlemats? I know not everyone wants to use them, but a lot of folks like the tactical stuff.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:02:38 PM »
Some of those are nice!

Any word on whether the game will support things like minis and dungeon tiles/battlemats? I know not everyone wants to use them, but a lot of folks like the tactical stuff.

We don't use a 'squares of movement' paradigm for our map-based stuff, but tactical fighting is possible in Fate.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
I assume the Dresden movement rules will be very similar to the rules in the existing FATE 3 games (Spirit of the Century, Starblazer Adventures, Awesome Adventures).

I often use a large laminated sheet (with one inch squares) to draw out zone maps, and we use miniatures to note where people are. It helps to visualise what is going on. It is important to note that zones in FATE can be very large (incredibly large sometimes - in Starblazer Adventures at one point it suggest representing an intergalactic war with 7 entire galaxies as 13 zones). To give you some idea of the sort of maps I might use here is a handout I gave players once with zones. Obviously when I hand draw during a game onto a large laminated sheet the quality is a lot lower.

Personally I think FATE provides the perfect level of detail. I really don't want to be tracking precisely where someone is, but I like to know a ballpark area - this is what FATE tracks. Of course some may want more/less accuracy.

Offline tonpa

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »
I often use a large laminated sheet (with one inch squares) to draw out zone maps, and we use miniatures to note where people are. It helps to visualise what is going on. It is important to note that zones in FATE can be very large (incredibly large sometimes - in Starblazer Adventures at one point it suggest representing an intergalactic war with 7 entire galaxies as 13 zones). To give you some idea of the sort of maps I might use here is a handout I gave players once with zones. Obviously when I hand draw during a game onto a large laminated sheet the quality is a lot lower.

That map Sir is one of the most inspiring and finest things I have seen this year! Really cool idea & awesome work.

Cheers

-Tonpa

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
Yes, that map is really nice! Did you make the map yourself with software?

Offline Gazrok

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »
There are some other games' miniatures that would work well with Dresden. Vampire the Masquerade figures of course, Shadowrun figures, and Reaper Miniatures have some good modern figs. It wouldn't be difficult to use many of the D&D monsters as baddies either, as the Dresden RPG powers list makes it a pretty easy conversion. I've even adapted many ideas from novels and films using this list, into easy Dresden templates...for example Immortals from Highlander, Vampires from different novels, Witches, Druids, even Simon Greene's Nightside series (which has some great Dresden-esque characters)....

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »

That's totally Cassius, when he still had his coin. Saluriel, was it?
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 01:49:07 PM »
Oh, nice.  I'll be picking those up when/if they show up.