Author Topic: Vampirism Feeding Confusion  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Vampirism Feeding Confusion
« on: September 09, 2011, 05:38:54 AM »
Alright, I'm looking at two powers (Feeding Dependency and Blood Drinker/Emotional Vampire).

Feeding Dependency explains everything with regards to Feeding Dependency. Emotional Vampire/Blood Drinker explains everything as far as those powers go (except that Emotional vampire doesn't mention doing stress or how to defend against it, etc, just explains the attack).

But there's no mention of how these two interact.

For instance, let's say I have Feeding Dependency and my Hunger Track is full. I can't use my feeding powers to, well, get rid of that stress. The only section that mentions Feeding is the Failure Recovery. Which is just a handwave of 'You're out of these scenes, you recover'.  Because the only way to remove the Hunger stress is to 1) succeed at the roll after a scene, 2) accept consequences and then heal them, or 3) wait til you go into Failure Recovery. Shouldn't I be able to remove Hunger stress by actually using the feeding powers?

As far as Emotional Vampire is concerned, you just make attacks (and get better at them) and if you kill a target you can get a free recovery period to clear a Minor consequence.

In fact it spells out that if you take feeding dependency you must take these powers. But what are you getting for that -1 to refresh? An additional +1 to rolls (and if you kill the option of removing a mild stress)?

What am I missing?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Vampirism Feeding Confusion
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 06:45:29 AM »
Killing by means of your vampiric 'gift' clears your stress track (as well as any consequences or 'lost' abilities due to Hunger).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Vampirism Feeding Confusion
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »
Im pretty sure blood drinker/emotional vampire get a pass... You can still use those no matter what. That said, the rules don't say anything about being able to use them to negate hunger stress... Not the only time DFRPG has overlooked something significant.

Tedronai: Not sure that's enough... Otherwise Thomas could never have kept topping off. I'm sure he failed a discipline heck or two in there (like w/ Molly)... But if he has to kill to recover, he never would have, and by the way hunger stress works, would never be able to use his powers again.

It's even worse for RCI's... First time they take hunger stress, they may as well hand over their character and roll a new one... Cause either they have to kill (and lose themselves to the infection completely) or continue playing with some or even all of their abilities locked away.

Feeding dependency says you clear your hunger stress track completely any time you succeed against a hunger stress attack... Maybe feeding is assumed to initiate such an attack (in the "it's hard to stop at just a taste" category)... Failure means you go too far, success means you spake your thirst without killing or even seriously harming...
And for drama's sake, I'd let you make up the gap (should you fail) with one of the victim's consequences (fail by 8, and Justine can end up with a "Nearly eaten to death" extreme consequence)... Not really a stretch, since the victim's pretty well at your whims and defenseless/insensate anyway- easy enough to cause such a consequence the hard way. Feeding is an attack after all.