Author Topic: Equal-standing combat, how to fix?  (Read 5621 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Equal-standing combat, how to fix?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 06:39:19 AM »
I was referring to a "mirror match" or a fight between people with exactly the same skills and weapons etc.

The hypothetical game of Rocket Tag IS a 'mirror match'.
Both fighters are armed with rocket launchers, both have peak Weapons skill and dumped their Athletics skill, and neither picked up anything to compensate for that deficiency

and it will likely be resolved in all but name by the initiative rolls (which are also presumed to have equal skill bonuses)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
I thought of that whilst I posted it.

I was referring to a "mirror match" or a fight between people with exactly the same skills and weapons etc.
Both ends of the spectrum ARE mirror matches as I've presented them.

Offensive guy A has a peak Guns score, some Stunts related wholly to attacking, a rocket launcher, no defensive skills that work against a rocket launcher, and no applicable Powers. Offensive guy B has the exact same stats. This is a mirror match, so you can run them off the same character sheet with the exception of tracking expendable resources.

Defensive guy A has a peak Athletics score; Speed, Toughness, and Recovery Powers; and no offensive ability to speak of (be it skill or weapons). Defensive guy B is again exactly the same. Again, you can run it off of the same character sheet except for expendable resources.

Both are mirror matches, because both fights are someone against their clone, with the same equipment. Just being a mirror match doesn't make the mirrored character well balanced, though. And my point was that where they sit on the offensive-defensive spectrum has a lot of influence on how long the fight lasts.

Purely offensive characters, for example, will run each other out of stress really quickly, as quickly as the system handles such things in fact. I mean, you can get higher than weapon:5-ish, but the other guy isn't rolling his +0 defensive skill against your +5 offensive skill in the other configurations.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
and it will likely be resolved in all but name by the initiative rolls (which are also presumed to have equal skill bonuses)
Depending on the range chosen, the resolution could be a foregone conclusion simply by agreeing to duel, regardless of the initiative rolls.  (Rocket launchers at 2 paces!)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 07:21:50 PM »
If both players had high-level Toughness powers, that could actually be a viable way to resolve a duel. Shoot each other with heavy weapons until one person falls down. No dodging allowed.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
If both players had high-level Toughness powers, that could actually be a viable way to resolve a duel. Shoot each other with heavy weapons until one person falls down. No dodging allowed.
Roshambo with heavy weaponry?  Sounds fun!  I see a variant in which two (presumeably dim-witted) Roshamboists take turns pulling the pins on grenades and shoving them down their pants.  Last one standing wins!