Author Topic: How long is a threshold invitation good for?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: How long is a threshold invitation good for?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:48 PM »
Yeah, the more I think of it the more I agree that once you're over the threshold with an invite, you're good to go.  Once you leave, you can have that invite revoked.

Offline sqlcowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »
According to the books, you can have a standing invitation.  Harry has entered Murphy's house with it's powerful threshold without issues to 'water her plants,' for instance.

I'd play it with the "fun rule" -- if it's more fun for a threshold to be refreshed and require a new invitation, do that.  Otherwise allow a standing invitation if it's put that way.  The whole "using a threshold as a trap" thing is a moot point, since the threshold itself is what makes the power get left behind.  Once you're inside, you're inside, and you can always leave -- the threshold doesn't make you leave your power inside if you try to go out -- it's one way.

Offline mstorer3772

• Conversationalist
  • Nerdier than thou... oh wait. I'm HERE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »
GS Spoiler
(click to show/hide)

I suspect it has to do with the nature of the invitation.  "Come and go as you please" might be carte-blanc, while "come it" would be a 1-shot.
Get off my lawn.

DV 1.2 YR 8 FM <1 BK++ RP++ JB TH+ WG++ CL--- SW BC++ MC+ SH [Murphy++ Molly- Gerd++ Lea+ Lash++]

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 06:33:45 PM »
I'd go with: it lasts as long as it's intended to last.

Just going to re-iterate this one. 

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:11 PM »
According to the books, you can have a standing invitation.  Harry has entered Murphy's house with it's powerful threshold without issues to 'water her plants,' for instance.

Harry had to make keys so that Murphy and select others could cross his wards.  If memory serves he gave a Ward Key to her, Thomas, Molly, and Anastasia (that last Key a critical part of Turn Coat).  I remember him saying that they were a pain to make.

Now that I'm thinking about his Wards, how the heck does his house cleaning staff get into clean? The first time I don't think that he knew they were coming.  They can't be crossing in from the Nevernever - unless there's a different entrance that doesn't go to the garden.

Richard

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 05:49:18 AM »
Can someone using "Bless this House" keep an evil entity IN?  If that is the intent to protect others by forcing said creature to battle you?