Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 151045 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #180 on: September 27, 2011, 02:18:45 AM »
Yes, I understand it. That is why I said I would probably like it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
Shecky- You are crazy smart.

WinterEmissary- I have hesitated to respond to your post regarding the euthanasia of your family cat because I didn't want to hijack the thread but I really do want to say something.

First, let me extend my deepest condolences to you and your family on the lost of your pet. Euthanasia is a heartrending process and the decision leading up to it is equally difficult.

As a veterinarian the possiblity of a euthansia-gone-bad is one of my great nightmares. I would like to tell you what actually happens. I am not doing this to justify the actions of the other doctor involved or to marginalize your pain, just to explain the process.

At first blush, euthanasia is a simple process involving the injection of an overdose of anesthetic. Usually the primary drug is pentobarb. Some veterinarians will sedate the animal prior to the injection. Some veterinarains will place an intravenous catheter in every euthanasia - others don't and rely on their ability to establish vascular access with a needle.

After 15 years of practice I put a catheter in every euthanasia. Animals that are near the end of their life where euthanasia is an appropriate decision often have very poor veins, perfusion or co-morbid disease that makes it more difficult to reliably access a vein. I administer an intravenous sedative immediately prior to the actual euthanasia. Soemtimes animals may twitch or make a noise when they are euthanized. The sedative eases their passage. It also makes them unaware of what I am doing so that, hopefully, all they hear is the voice of their owner. After the sedative, I administer an intravenous injection of euthanasia solution (pentobarb). Most animals will pass within 30 seconds. If the animal has profoundly compromised perfusion the process takes longer because it takes longer for the drug to reach the target organs.

If the euthanasia solution is accidently extravasated (goes outside of the vein) this can cause discomfort. If the pre-euthanasia sedative is a lower dose it may cause dysphoria (where the animal is disoriented and may become hyper-excitable). If vascular access can not be established, there are other sanctioned methods for euthanasia but I do not even consider them unless I have no other option.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss and the experience that you and your pet went through. I know it doesn't help but I truly believe that the majority of veterinarians are dedicated to minimizing suffering. Please don't write off my entire profession - most of us care deeply for our patients.

Teresa M. Rieser VMD, DACVECC

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
Yup. Every vet I've ever met (with one glaring exception, which to me proved the rule) got into it for love of animals.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Berrylovely

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »
Our vet is wonderful. He explains things every time we ask, and sometimes when we don't! We have been seeing him since I got my kitty, Puss, at age 11. I'm now 34. :) There is noone we trust more. They have helped us with strays, getting them spayed or neutered at reduced/no cost, or if need be helping them ease into the Sunny Afterlife. They have been there for EVERYONE of our pets deaths and they make donations to Purdue's Vet School in memory of every pet we have lost. There is noone I would rather go to. I will be very sad when he retires, as there is noone else to take over his practice.

k9-you sound just like our vet! :)
All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.~Walt Disney

There can be only ONE of you for ALL time. Fearlessly Be Yourself.

..When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.~WHMS

Offline Paynesgrey

• Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 20, 2011, 02:04:51 PM »
Oh, great, a lawyer. *ducks*  ;D

Chomsky... Nutjob. Freaking genius nutjob. There was a professor at South Carolina when I was starting my grad work, a gentleman named Simon Belasco. I never actually took one of his classes, but his reputation lurked around every corner and blocked all the doorways. French (well, Occitan was his true love) and linguistics were his bag. Friend of mine was chatting with him at some point. I hadn't yet had contact with Belasco, so he asked my friend about me, and apparently Belasco was a bit surprised by my, er, eclectic educational "direction" (more like "lack of direction", what with all the minors I had). That friend came to me after Belasco's next class and told me that Belasco had spent the first several minutes of that class talking about ME, saying I was a "new Noam Chomsky" simply because I hadn't limited myself to one specialization. For a second, I honestly didn't know whether I wanted to chase him down and shake his hand or punch him. :D

Nowadays, I'm coming to terms with the "nutjob" part of that.  :o

Aw, you shoulda known better than to give me material like this to work with, Shecky.  The Pretty Pretty Princess has about run it's course, and I was looking for some new tickles...

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 20, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
Well, update on my education. In 3 or 4 weeks I should be done with exams (and hopefully passed them all) and done with my BSc. Trying to decide to do further study, what I'm attracted to the most is a brand new course my University is bringing out -Masters of professional studies in food safety. I can't decide whether to do the degree or go straight into the work force. Already owe like ...alot , do I want to add more onto that and study another two years , what if I can't get a job from my degree? and that extra debt and time was for nothing :/  Bah why can't I have overbearing parents that decide everything for me?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:34:25 PM by Icecream »

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 20, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
The question is do you want to study further?  Are you interested because you would genuinely enjoy it or because you are in the learning zone?
TBH, although I enjoyed my learning, I could have done better if I had stayed employed.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2011, 03:35:20 AM »
Does a doctorate in Self Ignition count?  ;D
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2011, 03:37:57 AM »
It's you - don't know. ::) ::) ::)

Offline grandpax3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 30, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »
I have a high school diploma and a little college a long time ago, but having been around for nearly sixty years can I get at least a Masters in Hanging In There?

MrsAWiggins05

« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2011, 04:12:17 PM »
Sure!! I have a minor in Hanging In There!

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2011, 08:24:41 PM »
Could call it an Age and Treachery degree.
IE: Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Offline grandpax3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2011, 01:47:20 AM »
I'll go with that one Snowleopard !

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2011, 01:57:32 AM »
BA biology
BA environmental studies
Masters biology
certificate in tropical ecology and conservation
early alternative certification for teaching

still underemployed

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2011, 03:38:41 AM »
*HUGS* to all you edumacated unemployed.  My poor husband, too! 
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.