Author Topic: Hope in a Bottle?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Hope in a Bottle?
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:33:44 AM »
So, Harry had to be "Happy" (among other components) in order to capture sunshine in a handkerchief, which was later used to fry a Red Court Vampire.

How would you build an item meant to defend against an anticipated White Court mind-whammy? What sort of socio-emotional situations would you mine for Ritual Declarations to get a Potion that effectively (albeit temporarily) suffused its bearer with True Hope, or True Courage? Or would these things be just as hokey as making a True Love amulet?

During a scene that was spiraling downhill, in which my nigh-insane spellcaster was filled with despair and fell in easy reach of our White Court Virgin (Malvoran), I successfully established that my guy had prepared for the possibility, and had prepared a defensive amulet which would make him unpalatable to his friend should her discipline be begin to slip (under the weight of some Compels). It was a relief at the time, of course, but in retrospect: was it appropriate?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Hope in a Bottle?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »
I thought that the events of "Love hurts" seemed to imply that those emotions can be sort-of achieved through magic. I don't really remember well though (and my friend has my copy of side jobs).

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »
I believe that artificial hope, courage, or love could have a protective effect - enough to invoke for "you don't want to eat me right now".  However, I would not give it full-on-catch-piercing-power for causing harm to a WCV.  It's the difference between holding up some garlic and actually staking dracula.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
However, I would not give it full-on-catch-piercing-power for causing harm to a WCV.  It's the difference between holding up some garlic and actually staking dracula.

That's the effect I was hoping to achieve, yes.

For the previous one, we established that I had used  (among other ritual paraphernalia) a dreamcatcher hung up in a movie theater during particularly inspiring movies.

Any other ideas for Lore Declarations for that thing? I need to recharge my previous amulet in case my WCVirgin friend finds me tasty again. ;)

Offline chelatek

• Participant
  • Hay guys what's going on in this thread
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:35:03 PM »
To stop a White Court from seducing you? Baseball and cold showers in a sports bottle.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »
To stop a White Court from seducing you? Baseball and cold showers in a sports bottle.

Icy/Hot (or similar ointment) your own boxers.  That should cause enough pain to avoid any kind of seduction. 

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »
Icy/Hot (or similar ointment) your own boxers.  That should cause enough pain to avoid any kind of seduction.

This is wrong on soooo many levels. -shudders-
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
As a member of the Malvoran branch of the White Court, this WCVirgin is more equipped to incite and feed off of Despair than Lust, so hope-related Declarations make more sense for this particular need. I'm looking for sources of hope that I can harvest and distill for another amulet should it come up again.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:07 PM »
Political rallies or really rallies of any kind. The birth of a child (usually). Research labs (I know that sounds weird, but they are looking optimistically into the future). Political monuments. Some museums/exhibits. Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:30:52 PM by sinker »

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
Memorabilia from the Martin Luther King "I have a Dream" speech, a knob accidentally broken off of a television during the Moon Landing/One Small Step for Man Broadcast, Positive pregnancy tests from the biohazard bins of Fertility Clinics, The pants of a Department Store Santa, and scrapings from the stage floor after tryouts for a Broadway musical.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »
There was a cool moment in the Pink Floyd movie, The Wall, where the bombers broke free and bombed the Germans in the Bulge.  The moment of the cavalry coming, like Gandalf riding with the Rohan, is pretty powerful.

The first flower, or the first signs of spring could capture the smell of hope.