Author Topic: Help with a probelm  (Read 1324 times)

Offline theshrewedshrew

• Participant
    • View Profile
Help with a probelm
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:44:01 PM »
So I have a character, I wanted to make him something of a current day Crusader, not like Michael or a Knight of the Cross, but a literal Crusader, a Knight in present day. The GM has allowed a few mods such as the Fairy Truth, Mortal Mishap, and the repurposing of the All Creatures Are Equal Before God.

What I am trying to do, is get conviction to work as all my social rolls, plus social and mental defense.

Have like High Faith, or something like that. I don't need it for comabt, but the character and his skills are all story line importance.

Here is what I was thinking, like faith is a support characteristic, So my character has some talent/stunt/power that states that I can use Conviction for social rolls to persuade of truth, while my truth may be cutting, unless dealing with non mortals, my social rolls inflict no damage. In return I gain social and mental defense by faith. So when rolling both Mental and Social Defense, I can use Conviction. For Social Damage to mortal, I would have to sacrifice a fate point for the encounter and roll Rapport, losing the use of conviction until atonement before a man of God.

Any good ideas, or names for stunts/powers? I really didn't think about this until I was playing last saturday. lol. My Crusader has no conviction, well It was originally a 10 refresh and 35 skill points and he had conviction but in the mayhem he lost it. lol.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a probelm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:23:35 AM »
I don't think that Fairy Truth needs to be a power. It looks like an aspect to me.

Anyway, what you want here is either Guide My Hand, Righteousness, or a Conviction stunt or two. A stunt letting you use Conviction for attacks to convince someone of the truth sounds reasonable, as does a stunt letting you use Conviction instead of Rapport for the purpose of social defence.

Of course, you'll need a Conviction skill for any of that to be useful.

PS: The "no social stress to mortals" thing makes no sense to me.

Offline theshrewedshrew

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:36 AM »
Well I did change skills up a bit, I'll play around with it a little more later, but as for the conviction, it says that you can use Conviction in some situations as Social and Mental Defense, the trapping of Acts of Faith. Here is my question, is there a way to strengthen that to include all situations.

I know I could make stunts, the question was any ideas.

I suppose, speaking the truth would allow my character to use conviction instead of Rapport.

You think that would be 1, 2, or 3 stunts?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 01:41:34 AM »
What I am trying to do, is get conviction to work as all my social rolls, plus social and mental defense.
...I can use Conviction for social rolls to persuade of truth, while my truth may be cutting, unless dealing with non mortals, my social rolls inflict no damage. In return I gain social and mental defense by faith. So when rolling both Mental and Social Defense, I can use Conviction.

My Crusader has no conviction...
It sounds like you're trying to use Conviction in place of other Social & Mental skills...but you have no Conviction.  I'm confused.

But here are a few comments on Rapport anyway.
Well I did change skills up a bit, I'll play around with it a little more later, but as for the conviction, it says that you can use Conviction in some situations as Social and Mental Defense, the trapping of Acts of Faith. Here is my question, is there a way to strengthen that to include all situations.

I know I could make stunts, the question was any ideas.

I suppose, speaking the truth would allow my character to use conviction instead of Rapport.

You think that would be 1, 2, or 3 stunts?
The normal standard is one stunt per trapping.  So moving all five of Rapport's trappings to Conviction should cost five refresh / stunts.  (That said, I doubt I'd allow moving an entire skill even if a player was willing to pay that much refresh.  I think it would gimp a character in the long run.)

As for stunt name ideas, the 'Closing Down' trapping could be stunted as 'Face of Faith' which allows you to only show your faith's goal(s).  'First Impressions' might become 'Obvious Faith' and allow you maneuvers to put aspects related to your faith on yourself for creating impressions.  Not really sure the other three trappings could be termed as faith / Conviction. 

--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline theshrewedshrew

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:01:43 AM »
Ah, well, the stats on the character was how it stood last game day.

I talked to the GM, and I kind of want a more Crusader Mentality for the character, and want to make his conviction part of saves.

The concept is, that While he is true to his Code (His trouble) and His High Aspect's Oath. (Which I think is eventually going to be Emmasary of Avalon.) Which are different while containing some of the same things. The oath he swore was to collect the items of power from the past and save them from being abused. The Trouble is day to day life, how a Knight is to carry one's self.

I think that the idea of some form of faith based defense, would be better than disciple for emotional defense.
I have always read that if its like something where you don't think living would be possible, our an attack that your faith has turned against you. I know conviction can be used. I think this is just the something for nothing.

I just wonder if you have some form of God, in your High Aspect, or Trouble, if your able to use conviction for all mental saves, and social saves. Using it for Rapport would be good, but I just need the two saves, right now.

So the possibility arises, that I could take 2 stunts, or a single stunt to possibly strengthen the Trapping of Conviction, Acts of Faith, from sometimes to as long as my character stays true to his Faith, and prays before battle. That would be interesting.

Offline theshrewedshrew

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »
Also on dual wielding pistols.

Does anyone have a scene where they show how the damage is rolled, I am second guessing how I did the system.

Currently I use the guns a certain way.

Single Attack with Guns skill. Using 2 bullets, one from each pistol. When damage resolves i treat the shifts in damage as well as the Weapon 3. (Using the stunt to combine the pistols)

Does anyone have an example of a character dual wielding pistols other than mine, We have been just using house rules for a lot of things for so long I didn't even question it.

Thanks Again!! ;p

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »
The dual wielding stunt is of problematic power (almost always being under-powered, while being significantly overpowered in a few select scenarios tailored to its use), but given the information you have provided, you do seem to be applying it correctly.

Personally, I would recommend reworking it to apply either a flat +2 stress when dual-wielding appropriate weapons, or +1 stress and a +1 bonus to some appropriate subset of maneuvers.
Either of these make the stunt much more predictable as to how much it will contribute to a character, while keeping it in line with other stunts that achieve similar goals.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline theshrewedshrew

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
Thanks a lot Tedronai!

Thats been a bee in my bonnet for a few weeks now.