Author Topic: The Spoilers forum Transcription sticky =~ Mega-topic?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
The Spoilers forum Transcription sticky =~ Mega-topic?
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
When I generated the transcription request sticky, I put a lot of thought into suggesting that contributers use a standard format that would give them credit if their work was copied and pasted into the WoJ archive. 

When I archive these contributions I always edit the ones that don't give themselves credit so that credit is there, and part of the motivation for that is that I always feared that the project could increase the forum server workload with the sheer volume of text in these posts in a way not unlike the Mega-topics we are asked to avoid

Part of any extra load would be due most of this volume duplicative, being in both the request sticky, and in the archive.  So if my fears are founded, and the sheer volume of all these transcripts is a less than negligible load on the servers, deleting a portion of the now archived transcripts might be worth doing by the administration.  Also, if this is the case I'll also go back and clean out some of my old WoJ compilation updates that duplicated the text I put into the compilation proper.

I could be worrying about nothing, but I don't want my WoJ zeal to have a negative impact on the server :)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: The Spoilers forum Transcription sticky =~ Mega-topic?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
The WoJ compilation gets the resources it needs, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, heck, that's the point. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
P.S.  Does EVERYBODY need approval before starting a topic that has links in it?

Ya'll approved of it while I was doing my workaround so sorry if I messed up any replies

The WoJ compilation gets the resources it needs, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, heck, that's the point. :)

KK, I was mostly concerned about the duplicates of all that stuff.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
P.S.  Does EVERYBODY need approval before starting a topic that has links in it?

I think it's more of a, "more than one link in it," thing. But, yeah, the spam controls are necessarily strict, there.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
I think it's more of a, "more than one link in it," thing. But, yeah, the spam controls are necessarily strict, there.

I think it should have a < x post count check before it requires approval, but maybe that's the frustration talkin  :P
DF WoJ Compilation