Author Topic: Most useful rotes in-play?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Wolfwood2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Most useful rotes in-play?
« on: June 03, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
So having played a couple of wizard characters now, I'm still struggling when writing up my evocation rotes.  I'm never really confident that I've designed them "right", not so much as reagrds to the rules as to what makes a good rote.

So I'm asking folks with actual play experience using rotes.  What have you found most useful in game?  When have you broken something out and said, "Boy, I'm glad I had that as a rote?,"?  Do they really matter at all?  Is there a trick where maneuver rotes or protection rotes are more useful?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Most useful rotes in-play?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »
So having played a couple of wizard characters now, I'm still struggling when writing up my evocation rotes.  I'm never really confident that I've designed them "right", not so much as reagrds to the rules as to what makes a good rote.

So I'm asking folks with actual play experience using rotes.  What have you found most useful in game?  When have you broken something out and said, "Boy, I'm glad I had that as a rote?,"?  Do they really matter at all?  Is there a trick where maneuver rotes or protection rotes are more useful?

Rotes are really more useful if your discipline/control isn't very high.

I never really had a whole lot of use for them because after stacking aspects to make an attack, it was worth the risk to just roll instead of using a rote.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
Useful combat rotes are pretty much limited to blocks and maneuvers.  You'll have to roll attacks anyway so making them a rote doesn't really help.  In some ways, rotes are most useful outside of (physical) combat.  Modulating or amplifying your voice is useful in social situations, veils / blocks can be useful in variety of tasks, and something as simple wind or force based telekinesis can see a lot of use.  
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
Veil has been the most useful for my Warden so far since it has got him out a jam or two.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline andreww

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »
*raises thread from the dead*

Apologies for the thread necromancy but I was skimming through the forums in preparation for our Dresden game restarting this weekend and wanted to see what peoples views were on this.

Personally I think having a good selection of rotes is pretty essential.  I cannot undervalue the benefit of not having your casting roll have to reach your discipline success.  Given the average 0 benefit from the Fate dice and the limited number of Fate points most Wizards will have to spread around (leaving aside compels) this is a major benefit.  Never having to worry about damage from backlash to make sure your cast goes off and only having to worry about hitting is huge.

I would also really cast doubt on the benefit of casting blocks, at least personal shield type spells.  Do many people actually use these?  They take up your entire action for the turn and only last one turn, an encahted reflexive item does everything they do but better by not taking up your action. 

What are other peoples experiences of using personal shields?  Do you bother, do they make a difference or do they just slow you down?

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
I would also really cast doubt on the benefit of casting blocks, at least personal shield type spells.  Do many people actually use these?  They take up your entire action for the turn and only last one turn, an encahted reflexive item does everything they do but better by not taking up your action. 

What are other peoples experiences of using personal shields?  Do you bother, do they make a difference or do they just slow you down?

The caster in my game doesn't use "personal blocks".  She puts extra shifts in to cover a whole zone (or zone barrier depending) and uses it strategically that way to provide cover.  This is highly situation dependant on when she does this, and I can't really give a generic answer on when she would.  If it's the standard forum "you're all on a big empty field shooting at each other" she does an attack instead.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 07:47:15 AM »

I think their value is somewhat lessened by the fact that most wizards in game are part of a group of players. In the novels, Harry is usually up against a load of thugs all by himself. Like Zenten said, if you can use such a spell to provide protection/block for multiple people on your side, then their value returns.

Then again, they are great for narrative purposes. The wizard steps out into the open, calls out the gunwielding thugs, they blast away at him and he is unharmed. He laughs maniacally and madness ensues. (Or something similar...)

Also, I am afraid I must inform you, that I called 1-900-WARDEN

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 08:28:48 AM »
Also, I am afraid I must inform you, that I called 1-900-WARDEN

I think you mean 1-800-WARDEN.

1-900-WARDEN is Luccio's phone sex line.  Don't judge.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »

I was doubting which one to take... Damn me for not investigating US culture more on Wikipedia!

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »

Given the likelihood of the line being hexed, calling either number is likely to connect to the other. But it is all good.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear