Author Topic: 7th law violations and non-spellcasters  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: 7th law violations and non-spellcasters
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:04:05 PM »
Well, the first six laws are only applicable to things done with spells.

But the seventh is a bit different. And that's why I'd be okay with a non-spellcaster taking Lawbreaker (Seventh).

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »
But the seventh is a bit different. And that's why I'd be okay with a non-spellcaster taking Lawbreaker (Seventh).

How would they ever use the bonus provided?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
You'd have to houserule it to be applicable to non-spellcasting rolls, as I suggested earlier.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »
You'd have to houserule it to be applicable to non-spellcasting rolls, as I suggested earlier.

Or treat it as sponsored magic rituals that any chucklehead with a recipe can do.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »
Well, the Knight wasn't at the last session where they aquired the book.  I'm not sure what response she'll give, but it probably won't be the "let's get as far away from this as we can and just worry about covering things up so the Wardens don't kill us" tactic that the rest of the PCs are leaning towards.  I see her caring about things like "where did this woman get the evil book, and who else has it?" (As in I think I'll be compelling her to that) Which requires digging, and that digging could draw the attention of the Wardens.

Smooth, that's even more paranoid than necessary.  Toss the book to the Wardens and give them the complete rundown would be the best solution.  Might even get them a freaking medal or a Dennys gift certificate or something, depending on if their social skills are good enough to get the Wardens to believe them completely.

As for the Knight, if that's how he goes then all he has to do to remain clear is inform the Wardens and Senior council that he's going to continue looking into where the book came from and if there are any copies or similar works still floating around.  Knights carry significant political weight and their motives are usually above reproach, or at least as near as is possible when dealing with political figures.  They're also generally considered not to be under the Council's authority, even if they aren't signed on to the Accords.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 12:31:54 AM »
Smooth, that's even more paranoid than necessary.  Toss the book to the Wardens and give them the complete rundown would be the best solution.  Might even get them a freaking medal or a Dennys gift certificate or something, depending on if their social skills are good enough to get the Wardens to believe them completely.

Well, the opinion of the White Council in general is rather low by the group.  They are seen by the PCs as a bunch of murdering thugs who are best to be avoided whenever possible.  They certainly aren't seen as someone with authority by anyone but the Emissary, and are respected as much as the White Court or the Red Court is respected.  Basically, they wouldn't trust the White Council with the knowledge contained in the book.

As for the Knight, if that's how he goes then all he has to do to remain clear is inform the Wardens and Senior council that he's going to continue looking into where the book came from and if there are any copies or similar works still floating around.  Knights carry significant political weight and their motives are usually above reproach, or at least as near as is possible when dealing with political figures.  They're also generally considered not to be under the Council's authority, even if they aren't signed on to the Accords.

Hmm... true, but I don't know if she would want to talk to the Wardens either.  What would Shiro do, since he was her mentor?  I'm asking because she's probably going to ask me, as the player hasn't read any of the novels.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »
Hmm... true, but I don't know if she would want to talk to the Wardens either.  What would Shiro do, since he was her mentor?  I'm asking because she's probably going to ask me, as the player hasn't read any of the novels.

Toss it in the fire, break out the marshmallows, and have faith.  He probably wouldn't have told the Council but he wouldn't have held it back from them if they asked.  Little old guy had wicked strong faith and the serenity what comes with it.