Author Topic: Sudden confusion regarding Tagging aspects.  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Sudden confusion regarding Tagging aspects.
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:52:01 AM »
Okay, I had originally read something somewhere in the books that led me to the conclusion that invoking an Aspect could give the player a +2 to a roll (or some other bonuses that aren't really important at the moment), but Tagging a temporary Aspect gave a +1.

Tonight, during a session, one of my players argued this point and directed me towards page 106 of Your Story, where Harry tags for a +2. This resulted in two other group members, who had originally thought as I did, to suddenly agree with him. So I let it go and ran with it, but now, I'm completely unable to recall where I read the +1 or even find it again.

Here I thought I had this Aspect stuff figured out and now there's this curveball flipping things upside-down on me. Can someone set me straight so I don't make this mistake again?

Thanks!
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden confusion regarding Tagging aspects.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure that tagging gives +2.

Spending a fate point without an aspect to invoke gives +1. Maybe that's where you got this idea.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:43 AM »
A 'tag' is nothing more than a free invoke. And, as we all know, invoking an aspect is a +2. Therefore, tags are worth +2 as well.

Long way of saying that your players are right.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:40:30 AM »
You may be confusing it with FATE chips.  A FATE chip can be spent to tag an aspect for +2 or, if you lack an applicable aspect, spent to add +1 to the roll.  Or a re-roll

Spending FATE chips for aspects is usually the best way of using them, but if you really need that +1 then just spend the point... And if you roll ---- then a re-roll is nice - there's only a 1 in 81 that a re-roll won't improve your situation.

Richard

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 05:51:59 AM »
Huh. I totally forgot about that +1 rule (YS19 btw)."Probably because I don't much care for it.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:03:34 AM »
You may be confusing it with FATE chips.  A FATE chip can be spent to tag an aspect for +2 or, if you lack an applicable aspect, spent to add +1 to the roll.  Or a re-roll

Actually the re-roll is one of the functions of the invocation of an aspect. If you don't have an appropriate aspect then the best you can expect from your fate point is a +1 bonus (or better than that would be to use that fate point to make a declaration and then tag that).