Author Topic: Smith and Wesson 500  (Read 5634 times)

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Smith and Wesson 500
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »

strange weapons I can't spell accurately

This is so going to be an aspect for my not so bright ninja character
Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »
You know, I think we use different definitions of "battlefield weapon". I definitely include high-powered sniper rifles in that category. Some assault rifles might also qualify.

An oversized handgun wouldn't, though.

When you mention "high-powered" sniper rifles, are you talking about 0.50 cal. Barret M-82 or Barret M-95 anti-material rifles?  If so, those are absolutely in the range of battlefield weaponry.  While they are great for extreme long-ranged sniper of people, the round fired is large enough to damage/destroy equipment and light vehicles.

On the other hand, if you're talking about sniper rifles like the M-21 which fires a 7.62mm NATO...  That I would still lump that in with other battle and assault rifles at Weapon:3.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 06:06:31 PM »
This is so going to be an aspect for my not so bright ninja character

glad to help! ;D

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
I have no idea what any of the guns you mentioned are, Todjaeger. I'm not a gun person.

I just eyeball this stuff. If it seems like really serious military hardware, I call it weapon 4. If it seems civilian-appropriate, I call it weapon 3.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »
I have no idea what any of the guns you mentioned are, Todjaeger. I'm not a gun person.

I just eyeball this stuff. If it seems like really serious military hardware, I call it weapon 4. If it seems civilian-appropriate, I call it weapon 3.

The Barrets listed (M-82 and M-95) are both very large, very heavy sniper rifles, the kind known as anti-material rifles.  If you've ever seen the movie "Navy Seals", the character called God used one, or something like it. 

The other one I mentioned, the M-21, is basically a specialized version of an M-14 which was the commonly issued rifle the US military used after the Korean War and partway into the Vietnam War.  Civilian versions of the M-14 are available, with the major difference being that they aren't capable of fully automatic fire.  What made the M-21 special is that they were re-worked to make them extraordinarily accurate.

As should be obvious by now, I know a little bit about guns and military equipment.  That is sort of an outgrowth from my interest in history, military history, and militaria.

The general way I deal with firearms is as follows:

'hold-out' or Derringer-style pistols, or pocket pistols in small calibres (0.22 cal. or 0.25 ACP, 0.32 ACP, etc) count as Weapon: 1
Most service revolvers and pistols are Weapon: 2, as are small calibre rifles (Ruger 10/22, etc)
Most rifles and shotguns, as well as over-sized/big game-calibre handguns (0.454 Casul, Desert Eagle chambered in 0.50 AE, etc) are Weapon: 3

I reserve Weapon: 4 for generally military-grade weapons and explosives which are designed for use vs. vehicles, people & vehicles, structures, or to conduct attacks against entire zones.

Therefore large anti-material rifles like those already mentioned are Weapon: 4
A hand grenade
40 mm grenade/grenade launcher
M2 'Ma Deuce' 0.50-cal. Browning Machine Gun
Flamethrowers
M18 'Claymore' mine

and so on...

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5: