Author Topic: Giving It Back: When A Changeling Chooses Mortality  (Read 3285 times)

Offline Aubri

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Giving It Back: When A Changeling Chooses Mortality
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
I wouldn't see this as getting around the limitations of unseelie magic. He's still going to be limited in scope of the things he can do (in fact sponsored magic tends to be a little less restrictive than mortal magic), and he's still going to be regularly visited by his parent (or he would be were I GMing). Unless you're being really harsh about the whole can't use unless it aligns with the sponsor's agenda then he's probably not going to like mortal magic any more.
I tend to agree with you, myself. Part of it is the limitations on his thaumaturgy, since it has to align to the unseelie themes. That said, I do need to discuss with him that mortal magic still won't let him break the laws of magic. (We had the same problem when he was playing a Jedi in Star Wars.)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 04:07:24 AM »
Right, but you never get the faerie magic from your parent, you have to get it from the faerie queen, and it's never automatic, just like you don't automatically get your parent's Court.
Where does it actually say that?
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
I think he's conflating Winter as sponsor with Mab as sponsor. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »

YS page 166 says:
These magics are under the sway and watch of the Queens of Summer (Lady, Queen, and Mother), and inevitably making use of them will catch their notice.

Richard

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
The way I see it is that you're likely getting it from a sidhe of some sort, and since they all owe their loyalty (and as a fey loyalty means ownership) to the queens, you are getting it from the queens by proxy at least.

Consider the relationship between Mab and Lea. In that situation, even if you're dealing with Lea you're dealing with Mab indirectly.