Author Topic: Tagging consequences?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Tagging consequences?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
The distinction needs to be drawn between character knowledge and player knowledge.  If a free tag is passed to a player whose character is unaware of the aspect in question that player would need to explain how the aspect comes into play without the character being aware of it.  If there's no way for the aspect to come into play if the character isn't aware of it then it isn't a viable aspect to be used in that situation.  It's a minor distinction, but an important one.

^this
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »
I think specifics might help with the in character/out of character tagging stuff.  Like, if someone has a broken leg they're going to have trouble jumping out of the way of gun fire (and thus it would help the shooter if they are jumping out of the way) regardless if the shooter knows if they have a broken leg.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
I think specifics might help with the in character/out of character tagging stuff.  Like, if someone has a broken leg they're going to have trouble jumping out of the way of gun fire (and thus it would help the shooter if they are jumping out of the way) regardless if the shooter knows if they have a broken leg.

In that case, the GM can always compel the consequence, even if the player can't tag it.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
OK, but if the GM didn't you can still tag/invoke the broken leg consiquence on your roll to hit.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
In theory, I am in favor of tagging inflicted Consequences as discussed, but in practice, I often fail to do it as a GM, and as such my players generally don't offer to do so, either. Once I start sticking fingers in their Consequences, though, I am sure they will catch on and adopt the practice.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
OK, but if the GM didn't you can still tag/invoke the broken leg consiquence on your roll to hit.

That's still the player describing how the aspect comes into play without the character being aware of it. It works. We're all on the same side of that one.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
I think that it is the GM's obligation to compel and invoke consequences on all characters, player characters and NPCs alike. Otherwise, the consequences becomes more of a color and have no real impact on the game.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
I think not allowing the players to compel consequences that they cause would restrict their impact on the game a lot more than only letting the gm do it.