Author Topic: Non-magical disruption of thaumaturgy  (Read 1304 times)

Offline MrMacguffin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Non-magical disruption of thaumaturgy
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »
Hey folks,

Getting my small group together tommow for the first time. We're doing Neutral Grounds prior to starting a campaign so everyone can get the hang of the rules.  While goin over the write-up, I came up with a question I couldn't find an answer for - maybe you can help.

Without spoiling the module, there is a spot where the players may need to disrupt a ward.  With a practitioner, I can see a couple ways to do it. But if the party doesn't have one, how would you handle it?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Non-magical disruption of thaumaturgy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:11:51 AM »
Two Words: Fire hose.

Running water is pretty darn disruptive to magic.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »
Water is your best bet, as mentioned above. Fire is also an good choice if you're not worried about collateral damage. If you want to be surgical about it you could always identify the focuses holding the Ward together and smash them to bits, not unlike how Harry dealt with that big Circle in Small Favor.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:34 AM »
Water is your best bet, as mentioned above. Fire is also an good choice if you're not worried about collateral damage. If you want to be surgical about it you could always identify the focuses holding the Ward together and smash them to bits, not unlike how Harry dealt with that big Circle in Small Favor.

One thing to watch out for with smashing the thing holding wards together to bits...wards can often have blowback effects that could flatten you if you did this.  Just saying.

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
Maybe the characters are able to avoid the ward? If it's not stated that way in the adventure, you can change it so your group has a chance...

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »
Well if you're not worried about colatteral damage, explosives!
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline MrMacguffin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
Cool - thanks folks!

Ended up not being an issue, since one of the PCs made a choice that removed the need for that scene (the one with the wards).  The session went great, and was maybe one of the easiest "let's learn the system" games I've ever ran or played.