Author Topic: NEVER NEVER NEVER ask your agent out  (Read 6793 times)

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
NEVER NEVER NEVER ask your agent out
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
I asked my agent out, and ever since it's been wierd. She really won't talk to my any more. I didn't think I was that out of line, and I wasn't creepy about it or any thing. She declined and I didn't make a big deal out of it. Now she'll barelly talk to me. What the hell.

Haha guess mixing business and pleasure really is a bad idea.

Oh well she keeps it up I'll find another one. I have every confidence I'm onto something good with my work so if she doesn't want to make money off me the hell with her.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
Re: NEVER NEVER NEVER ask your agent out
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »
Business relationships are like war, no-one wins but everyone gets collateral damage.

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »
We were supposedlly friends before any of that, but I've got some  shit going on with a familly member in serious condition right now, and I need my supposed friend, but she's ignoring me.  If the whole novel was finished today she wouldn't get her hands on it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:01:31 PM by eviladam »

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:28:14 PM »
Damn, sounds heated. 

I would also suggest not dating anyone that works at an establishment that you frequent.  My two main haunts are Perkins and Borders Boookstore.

I've gotten involved with an employee of both places, and they both ended up bad.  It resulted in a few things...  It's wierd going to those places now, for one.  Secondly I can never date anyone from Perkins or Borders again, even if I would like to.  And thirdly, if I ever date again, I can't bring the new girl to either of my favorite places to hang out.

I also dated a sales rep at the TV station I work for...the sales people sell the commercials, we producers go out and make the commercial...so we work closely with the sales people.  It got wierd, and then rumors started flying and a few of my other collegues got jealous and wierd because they had wanted to hook up with her.  Bad deal for all involved.

So I've decided to just be a loner for a while...a long while.  Relationships are a pain in the ass and they take time away from writing.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:49:39 PM »
I know not to get involved with co workers/business associates/employees at places you frequent. I know that from past experience. But I thought we were really good friends before she was my agent and I had a thing for her then, I thought it was mutual. Like I said when she shot me down I didn't make a big deal out of it, but she's been a bitch ever since.

Blah, I'm gonna finish my book and I will find a new agent, and then rub her nose in it when my book hits big and she's not a part in it.

There may even be a P.S. Bet you wish you were still my agent Laurel, in the dedications.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:02:28 PM by eviladam »

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:28:57 AM »
I think this one definitely falls under "For best results, avoid doing stupid things."
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »
Relationships are a pain in the ass and they take time away from writing.

I would offer a countervailing opinion here, as someone involved for the past more than ten years with, and married for more than five years to, a person who writes for a living and is my best first-reader.  Find the right person, preferably one who also writes and understands what it means to take that seriously, and you can get a kind of support you'll find nowhere else.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 01:34:12 PM »
I would offer a countervailing opinion here, as someone involved for the past more than ten years with, and married for more than five years to, a person who writes for a living and is my best first-reader.  Find the right person, preferably one who also writes and understands what it means to take that seriously, and you can get a kind of support you'll find nowhere else.

Do you realize how hard it is to find female writers that aren't published that actually write?  I'd just love to find a girl who was a writer, and not just claim they are because their degree is in Creative Writing or English.  I guess I just need to get out of Saint Joe.  Nobody does anything but get drunk in this town.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
Hee...you know how hard it is to find guys who aren't published but actually write?  And don't just claim to because of their English-oriented degrees?

:D

There's always more people who claim to write then actually do.  Although, you probably will need to reach out of town to find one; in High School, I was in a creative writing class, and there were only 3 people in the entire class who actually wrote stories (rather then poems/lyrics/etc)...myself, another girl, and one guy.  And I have no clue if all 3 of us are still writing or not (I am, who knows about them though).  The school literary magazine was chock full of poems, so that any story that vaguely followed rules of English grammar and structure, which was put in front of the student judges, got voted in because they needed stories badly.  I got two poorly written stories in just because they were story format.  (Although I didn't see them as poorly written then...)
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »
Do you realize how hard it is to find female writers that aren't published that actually write?

Why is "aren't published" a criterion here ?  For what it's worth, I haven't found it particularly difficult to meet people who take writing seriously, published or not, female or male.  Conventions and the right places online have worked.

I guess I just need to get out of Saint Joe.  Nobody does anything but get drunk in this town.

I can quite sympathise with that one, though.  Small-town Ireland was pretty harsh to grow up in in terms of finding people who shared interests with me.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 06:23:49 PM »
Why is "aren't published" a criterion here ? 

Only because published hotties aren't exactly accessible to a no-name guy like me.  And usually they're married anyhow.

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 12:14:52 AM »
 :-\ Well I just feel like an ass today. Apparentlly one of her students she was really close to died recentlly.

So one really hatefull email later I just want to "crawl into a hole and pull it in after me."

Damn it, I really gotta get my mouth checking with my brain a little more often.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 01:05:47 AM »
tell her that dude. sacrifice yourself on the alter of dignity and even the score
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 01:16:54 AM »
Yeah I did. I think she actually forgave me. It was horrible what happened to that woman too. She had a massive stroke two years ago. She's been fighting ever since even when the docs told her she'd never walk or speak again. They had her rehab done. She was starting a job next week, and she was found dead in her shower from another stroke. That's enough to depress me and I'm supposed to be a cold hearted bastard. :'(

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
Even cold hearted bastards are human man.  That's a sad story.  Hope everything gets smoothed out with your friend.  Best of luck.