Author Topic: Math on "Diane's Cuppas"  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Math on "Diane's Cuppas"
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »
'Morning folks.

The math on Diane's Cuppas on YS387 - how does she get a 5 shift potion effect?

I count 3:
2 from Lore
1 from her hazel wood wand

Thanks in advance...

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: Math on "Diane's Cuppas"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
Could be from an invocation of her High Concept.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
Or any other aspect, for that matter. Could be a special ingredient, that she declared before and can tag for free to increase the potion strength. (YS280, on the right side, down on the bottom)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 06:03:41 PM »
OK, gotcha on both/either. From a learning perspective though (when readers are going through to compare their understanding by seeing if the NPCs match their expectations) that would've been a good note to include.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
I think it's probably just a mistake. Wouldn't be the only one in the books.

Maybe they used Conviction instead of Lore or something like that. Would that make the math work? I can't tell, I'm an ocean away from my copy of YS.

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »
Actually, yeah.  She's listed as having a Lore of Fair (+2) and a Conviction of Great (+4); it's entirely possible the wrong stat was grabbed.

Also, I'm inclined to think that "typo" is the correct explanation, because the total effect strength of 5 is more than double her Lore of 2.  Although you can boost the effect strength of potions through invoking Aspects either on creation or upon use, the text does not say you can gain an effect strength greater than 2x Lore, the general power cap for enchanted items.  (Was this a point in dispute?  I don't remember.)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:34:01 AM »
I'm mildly surprised it got past the nitpickers if it was a typo, since Neutral Grounds was thoroughly picked over by the folks here on this board :) :) :) That's why my first reaction was, I must be missing something.

I bet they grabbed Conviction instead of Lore as you guys think, b/c the math is spot on if that's the case.

Cheers for all the chime-in's, appreciate the helping hand!

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
As an alternative, maybe someone thought the stunt "Occultist (Lore – Magic):" meant that she had a +2 to her Lore when doing magic? Then the math balances...

From YS 387 (not Neutral Grounds):
Diane’s Cuppas (2 potions) Diane has dedicated both of her enchanted item slots for potions. She can brew two extra potent “cuppas” (using her wand) to create a Superb (5-shift) potion effect.

Richard

Offline Vairelome

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:16 AM »
Yeah, that's a possible alternative, too, Richard.  It would still be an error, of course, given the actual wording of "Occultist (Lore - Magic):"

"Occultist (Lore - Magic): Basset gains a +2 to Lore rolls when performing research related to mortal magic."

Not only is Thaumaturgy not "research" in this context, Lore translates to Complexity/Strength, which isn't rolled!

I think it's safe to call it an error, however it was accomplished.   :)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:14:36 AM »
Talking about which, is there an official list of errata or found errors? I was looking for one to see if this was on there, but the search function on the forum seems totally fux0red.