Author Topic: new "new" image  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
new "new" image
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »
I really like the new red look of the Forum, but one thing that I really dislike are those orange "new" buttons. I decreed "No more!", and made a new one, better fitting with the rest of the color scheme, I hope.

Enjoy:

directlink:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/newnewy.gif
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: new "new" image
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »
And that's going to accomplish what, precisely? Fred doesn't have the time to tweak, to be honest.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »
I thought it could simply replace the old image, shouldn't be too much effort. It would just make the whole thing look nicer, in my opinion. If Fred doesn't have the time, he doesn't have the time, but this way he wouldn't have to make the image, just replace it.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
Any codework is kind of invasive, time-wise, and Fred's got a day job, a newborn and a life.  :D But what makes me scratch my head is the fact that, to me, the orange pops out a little more visually than does the red (although you did a great job matching the color). Honestly, if there were ANY color change, I'd be more inclined to notice a black or deep yellow.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
Why do you have to be so mean, Shecky? Haru has done a great job, and if Iago doesn't feel like using it, that is the end of it.
I love this forum and I would come in any case unless it is blue and yellow (the colors of the rival team of my football (soccer) team) but I welcomed any improvement. And as I don't like the orange buttons, I think that this red image is wonderful! Of course, if including it is too much of a work, I'll be the first in saying "forget about it", but IMO it would be a nice addendum to this particular forum skin
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »
Why do you have to be so mean, Shecky? Haru has done a great job, and if Iago doesn't feel like using it, that is the end of it.
I love this forum and I would come in any case unless it is blue and yellow (the colors of the rival team of my football (soccer) team) but I welcomed any improvement. And as I don't like the orange buttons, I think that this red image is wonderful! Of course, if including it is too much of a work, I'll be the first in saying "forget about it", but IMO it would be a nice addendum to this particular forum skin

I wasn't being mean, Dina. "Mean" would have been "Dude, WTF? That's just dumb." I was wondering why the red, when it would fade into the red theme, while orange stands out - I did compliment Haru on the effort and on finding a perfect color match, I just couldn't understand how something I assumed folks would want to stand out should be the same color as all the stand-out things.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:56 PM »
Well, it still stands out because it is a big dot. I can try some different colors, to see if I can get something to stand out AND match the rest of the forum.

And it doesn't need any coding, shecky. It would just be exchanging one image file for another.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:17:09 PM »
Well, it still stands out because it is a big dot. I can try some different colors, to see if I can get something to stand out AND match the rest of the forum.

And it doesn't need any coding, shecky. It would just be exchanging one image file for another.

He's got a lot of "justs" in his life right now. He's already said that he doesn't want to mess around with it any more than he really has to for functionality's sake.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to shut you down on this. I'm just trying to make sure you know that the chances of his devoting time to what's not an actual functionality problem are extremely low; his day job + taking care of Evie and Xander + spending time with his wife + having a life = a busy, busy Iago. :) It's not a question of ignoring reasonable ideas - he just has so little time to spare for this kind of thing that something's gotta give.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
Well, in fact, I was talking about your first post, Shecky, as I read it more or less as ""Dude, WTF? That's just dumb." But it is all right if that wasn't your intention. Iago had taken the time to move the "search" window that was not so terrible after all, so the idea that perhaps he could do this too seemed not so far-fetched. And again, if he haven't the time, that was the end of it. But I felt you were saying "stop bothering" to somebody who has not been bitching but offering a solution. He had the image ready.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »
I really like the new red look of the Forum, but one thing that I really dislike are those orange "new" buttons. I decreed "No more!", and made a new one, better fitting with the rest of the color scheme, I hope.

Enjoy:

directlink:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/newnewy.gif

Thanks! That said matching the same hue as everything else means that the new won't pop -- I believe that is what the current,if unfortunate, color accomplishes. This needs to stand out rather than blend in.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:45 PM »
If Fred were so inclined, and he wanted it to be red, the file to be replaced is:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/Themes/flagrantly_20g/images/english/new.gif

I would think a cobalt blue might be better than red though.

I could cover this and a few other tweaks over time, but I'd need the keys to the city. I'm doubting you guys would give the keys to the city to some unattributable alien. I'm not saying "oh please! oh please!" but "if you need someone to fill in some HTML/CSS I could fake it."

The board isn't that far out of whack. Most of the oddities are things people will get used to, with or without it changing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:30:44 PM »
Well, in fact, I was talking about your first post, Shecky, as I read it more or less as ""Dude, WTF? That's just dumb." But it is all right if that wasn't your intention. Iago had taken the time to move the "search" window that was not so terrible after all, so the idea that perhaps he could do this too seemed not so far-fetched. And again, if he haven't the time, that was the end of it. But I felt you were saying "stop bothering" to somebody who has not been bitching but offering a solution. He had the image ready.

Haru, my apologies if that was the way I came across to you. I do tend to get a bit enthusiastic when I get curious about something. :)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »
Thanks! That said matching the same hue as everything else means that the new won't pop -- I believe that is what the current,if unfortunate, color accomplishes. This needs to stand out rather than blend in.

And the busy man takes the time to look into it! Ladies and gentlemen, for the umpteenth time, THIS is customer service at its finest!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »
Yes, this is the best forum ever! And his owner is totally awesome
Missing you, Md 

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
Yes, this is the best forum ever! And his owner is totally awesome

I must say that I agree...on both accounts.
And don't kill me please, but the orange "NEW" icon doesn't really bother me personally. But I don't mind if you want to change it. :)
And the red one looks good Haru.
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."