Author Topic: Rewarding your Emissary  (Read 3866 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Rewarding your Emissary
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
Regarding loot - I like to give an appropriate aspect (The Vampire's Stash or whatever) and some number of free tags based on how much may have been there.  That way it's compellable (it's probably dirty money), taggable for bonuses to Resources, and potentially invokeable (for a limited time) after they've used up free tags.  For larger piles of loot I might (haven't yet) give a permanent Resources boost.

It keeps things simple while still allowing a lot of flexibility.

That makes sense mechanically, but my experience thus far is that while the mechanics are great for storytelling, they suck for player satisfaction.

Even "leveling" in fate is decided upon by the GM, which further leaves players in the dark on how their character is actually advancing.

I'm not saying it's a bad system - I really like the system.  I do however think that the mechanics make the games start feeling stale after playing long enough.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
Personally I prefer the fact that you "level" by dealing with large issues in game. That makes more sense to me, than you need to get 100 xp to level and each orc slain is ten xp.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 05:12:49 AM »
Haven't had much trouble giving out loot myself.

Actually, polka's character in Enduring The Apocalypse just got rather a lot of stuff from a wizard's fortress.

Though I admit that there are pretty tough limits. I just haven't encountered them.

PS: There's a thread on the What's A DM To Do? board of the WotC forums about interesting treasure. I recommend you look at it, because I used to post there a lot. It's for D&D, but the principles behind it are applicable here too. Treasure can have value beyond the mechanical. Some stuff is just cool.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 06:18:20 AM »
Haven't had much trouble giving out loot myself.

Actually, polka's character in Enduring The Apocalypse just got rather a lot of stuff from a wizard's fortress.

Though I admit that there are pretty tough limits. I just haven't encountered them.

PS: There's a thread on the What's A DM To Do? board of the WotC forums about interesting treasure. I recommend you look at it, because I used to post there a lot. It's for D&D, but the principles behind it are applicable here too. Treasure can have value beyond the mechanical. Some stuff is just cool.

I will check it out later this week.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »
As the player in question I second sancta's comments. Loot is cool well beyond its mechanical application.
 For example I have no freaking clue what the hell I am going to do with the "Bones from the corpse of an Old God, with the faintest echo of the god's once-vast power contained inside" but I am dang glad to have them.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
You'll certainly start thinking of new and inventive ways to use your bones as weapons or means to bypass a monster's toughness.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 02:58:13 PM »
That makes sense mechanically, but my experience thus far is that while the mechanics are great for storytelling, they suck for player satisfaction.

Even "leveling" in fate is decided upon by the GM, which further leaves players in the dark on how their character is actually advancing.

I can imagine, that it is unsatisfying, if you are used to get a sword of ogre decapitation and the likes. More and more, I find myself understanding (or at least I believe I do) the way of Fate. I think one of the most powerful rewards is a strong story hook for what is to come, which requires a change in style of most players (and I'm including myself there, too). You are, in fact, rewarding your players with more trouble, something that is unthinkable in most other games.

As far as levelling is concerned, and I believe that goes for rewards and loot as well, players are encouraged to chime in. Do you think killing your first RCV was somewhat life changing for you character, but the GM is treating it like a mook? Talk about it, maybe a minor milestone is appropriate, but the GM simply didn't think about it, because she wanted to go on with the story. You think your character would take the one gold coin from the treasure that is cursed? Propose it to the table, if the group thinks it is fitting, and it could lead to a new campaign, go for it.
I think Fate takes a lot of the work from the GM and gives it into the players hands. Not many players (and again, I have to include myself there) are used to having that kind of influence on the game if they are not GMing.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:39 PM »
Reading this, I can't help remember the oddest bit of loot Harry ever got - free maid service.  No effect in play, great setting bit.
Then there has been other nice pieces of loot - info on his mother, clues about this or that, having arrest warrants canceled - that wouldn't fit on a sheet or change play much, but was a nice reward for him.

Richard

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:18 AM »
I gave the sword to the PC.  Aspect "Fairy Sword from Hriedmar".  Not really a creative name, but it's descriptive enough. It also has enough that I can compel it... I think he liked it.  He's a D&D player and plot hooks and "trouble" have really gone unnoticed/completely ignored.  I needed something mechanical.  I'll look at that WoC page for more ideas going in.