Author Topic: Stronger Aspects?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
Stronger Aspects?
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
It´s me again with another annoying rule vs. "reality" question.  ;)

All aspects grant a +2 bonus to your roles. I´m ok with that. But sometimes this just doesn´t fit. For example: You have a Fire evocation wizard standing a the edge of an active volcano. He ist fighting some bad guys. One scence aspect is "Molten lava" and the wizard wants to tap the power of the volcano (maybe not the whole :D) to burn them to ashes. In my opinion a simple +2 bonus for a frigging volcano is really not strong enough. How would you handle this?

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Stronger Aspects?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »
The scene of an active volcano would have more aspects related to fire. Maby BURSTING FLAMES and HOT LIKE HELL in addition to your aspect mentioned. So a wizard could tap several aspects at once - provided he has enough fate points.

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
Makes sense to me using more than one aspect :D  But the wizard wouldn´t have to pay fate points if he learned about the aspects through an assessment roll? Would you give him all aspects with one assessment roll? I mean, some aspects are rather obvious. HOT LIKE HELL for example. Does this mean obvious aspects can`t be tapped? And another thing: In the given example I would add the +2 from the aspect to the wizards power (or conviction as you like). The discipline roll wouldn`t benefit. Is this right or can the +2 bonus only be given to rolls and not to stats per se?

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
In case of an obvious aspect the character can make a declaration by spending a fate point. As for assessments, I think you get only one aspect for a roll, more only when the roll has a lot of shifts...

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 12:06:56 PM »
All aspects grant a +2 bonus to your roles. I´m ok with that. But sometimes this just doesn´t fit. For example: You have a Fire evocation wizard standing a the edge of an active volcano. He ist fighting some bad guys. One scence aspect is "Molten lava" and the wizard wants to tap the power of the volcano (maybe not the whole :D) to burn them to ashes. In my opinion a simple +2 bonus for a frigging volcano is really not strong enough. How would you handle this?
In addition to using multiple aspects, you could treat it as a place of power.  The wizard (potentially anyone) pays fate points equal to sponsored magic's cost and gains Sponsored Magic (<name of volcano>) for a scene.  Then he can throw down with fire and earth magics.  He'll probably end up owing the volcano when all is said and done...but PCs in debt is always fun!  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:17:09 AM »
Ok the sponsored magic thing is another good idea. I think with these two mechanisms I can handle stuff like that. Thank you guys!

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »
I just had a thought:
What is the relation, if any, between the power of a maneuver and for what the aspect can be tagged or how often it is GM-compelled?...

b) What is the difference, if any, when those aspects are tagged for effect by whoever applied them? Would the effects be stronger for stronger aspects?
c) How often do those aspects get GM-compelled? Should there be a difference in how often they are compelled depending on strength?

This is kind of fuzzy.  You don't go by how much you succeeded on the roll to create the Aspect, you instead go on what the Aspect is and what it represents.  I don't really see how you can Invoke for Effect on these Aspects though, unless you're just trying to bribe the GM to give a Compel.
These aspects get Compelled whenever the GM thinks doing so would add to the game.  Applicability is what matters here, not strength.  In general though you're going to be able to get more out of "Terrified Beyond Reason" than "Lost Confidence", barring an unusual situation. 

In theory, for uncontested Maneuvers to place Aspects (presumably on the environment), the GM is already setting the bar for how powerful an Aspect is by setting the difficulty of the roll.

For contested Maneuvers against opponents, this becomes more tricky, and we have to return to the requirement that Maneuver-placed Aspects have to be things which an opponent can conceivably undo. "Twisted ankle" or "blinded" may be shaken off; "tied up" may be undone; "outflanked" can be outwitted; "disarmed" can be recovered. "Beheaded," "broken leg," "dead," and "sucking chest wound" are inappropriate Maneuver-based Aspects - though most of them are valid Consequences, but the target/GM gets to decide those (unless someone takes the Brutal stunt from the Custom Stunts thread).

So, generally, the Aspect is as powerful as you create it, and it is up to the GM to make it easier or harder to make it happen.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:39:20 AM »
Makes sense to me using more than one aspect :D  But the wizard wouldn´t have to pay fate points if he learned about the aspects through an assessment roll? Would you give him all aspects with one assessment roll? I mean, some aspects are rather obvious. HOT LIKE HELL for example. Does this mean obvious aspects can`t be tapped? And another thing: In the given example I would add the +2 from the aspect to the wizards power (or conviction as you like). The discipline roll wouldn`t benefit. Is this right or can the +2 bonus only be given to rolls and not to stats per se?
The player can invoke the aspect on whatever roll he or she wants, provided it makes sense. So, if they want to invoke "Hot Like Hell" to improve their discipline, the GM could ask them to describe how a burning volcano improves your magical control?

I wouldn't give multiple aspects for one assessment roll. I might place a bunch of aspects on the scene and allow players to use their FP to invoke them. The game generally functions on the premise that if you want something you either roll dice or pay a FP, and it functions well. I wouldn't tinker with that relationship too much.

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:31 PM »
The player can invoke the aspect on whatever roll he or she wants, provided it makes sense. So, if they want to invoke "Hot Like Hell" to improve their discipline, the GM could ask them to describe how a burning volcano improves your magical control?

Good point by the way! Could this aspect add to the power of the spell (like an emulated higher conviction) instead of adding to the control roll? A thunderstorm or an active volcano should give the wizard more energy to draw without using his own resources instead of giving him more control.... Normally you can use Aspects only to add a +2 to a roll, but wouldn`t this be a reasonable exception?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
I'm not sure anyone else said this, but another way this could be done is a wizard who uses air magic or something tagging the volcano aspect for effect to lace all of his magic for the scene with fire.

This change could potentially cause more stress or meet more catches.

If a player in my game invoked the volcano aspect for effect, I'd give him 1 free weapon rating after the control roll has been established.

Invoking for effect is a mechanic of the game that a lot of people overlook.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »
Could this aspect add to the power of the spell (like an emulated higher conviction) instead of adding to the control roll? A thunderstorm or an active volcano should give the wizard more energy to draw without using his own resources instead of giving him more control....

I think that this is inherent in the system...does throwing a fire blast in a volcano make your aim it better...no but it makes it do more damage because the fire is hotter...by getting a +2 to your discipline roll you do more damage...a story teller could also compel the aspect to have you lose control...to much heat there to control, getting caught up in...this stat determines power and this one is control i think bogs down the system with to much thinking...in your example adding to the conviction of a evocation attack would actually make it harder for the character to control...imo just give me the FP and lets do some property damage.
Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 02:58:35 AM »
.... Normally you can use Aspects only to add a +2 to a roll, but wouldn`t this be a reasonable exception?
I don't think so. It would just circumvent a big part of the fun. Bringing multiple Aspects to bare on the situation to get a powerful effect is where the awesome is. Everyone looking for the next volcano to plug into for a mega-power boost isn't.