Author Topic: Speed Powers split Supplemental  (Read 1823 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Speed Powers split Supplemental
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
Do people allow characters with supernatural speed or higher to split their supplemental movement between before and after they attack. So in the case of Super Speed move 1 zone forward attack and move one zone back ?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Speed Powers split Supplemental
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:40:48 PM »
I wouldn't, but that sounds like a great stunt.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »
I've never played with anyone using better than Inhuman Speed.  I'm not sure I would allow for that kind of hit-and-run style, but I *might* allow more of a jousting movement, where you move into a zone, attack, and continue on to the next zone beyond it.  The idea there is momentum.  There are examples of it being done in the novels, IIRC.

Depending on how much this messes with standard combat, though, I might make it require a stunt.  Also, I would certainly allow targets to declare on their turn that they are ready to strike when the speedster enters their zone.  I can't in good conscience allow this kind of thing to make a character effectively immune to melee.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »
That's an interesting question...and I can't find anything suggesting it can't be done in the rules.  I think I'd allow it.  After all, there are lots of fun ways to control kiting...   ;D
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
Characters with super-speed can gain a mild advantage over characters without ranged attacks? Acceptable.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:55:18 PM »
It's allowed in my games.

If someone can move almost as fast or as fast as a car, it stands to reason that they could dart in, strike, and dart away.

We take the "common sense" approach in our games unless something is specifically stated in the RAW.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »
I'd allow it. The speed powers says " Whenever moving as part of another physical activity, you may move [X] zones without taking the –1 penalty for a supplemental action," YS178.

Nothing in the rules seem to say that you have to take one action, than another. If you an move that fast, there's nothing that I can think of that says you can't do a "run-by pummeling."

Have fun, but look out for blocks to movement that might get you stuck in an awkward zone!

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:21:40 AM »
I would allow it on a probationary basis. If it didn't lead to problems, I'd keep it.

I can think of three or four good arguments against off the top of my head, but none of them is really decisive. So it's easy enough for me to justify either side of this question.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
Another speed question, Since the Spray Attack rules on YS326 say:
Some weapons have the ability to affect multiple targets  in one attack, either because  they have full-auto firing capabilities (military SMGs and assault  rifles)  or because  there’s  some  kind  of consistency or spread in the shape of the attack flamethrowers or shotguns). This allows a character to split his attack among multiple targets.

Would it be conceivable that a Speed power could allow Spray attacks using any gun?
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

NicholasQuinn

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »
Would it be conceivable that a Speed power could allow Spray attacks using any gun?

The Speed Powers are already good enough, so I'd not allow it at my table. That said, a stunt might make it feasible.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »

Why would a power that makes your character faster, also makes his guns faster? Even if you'd be able to reload faster, or pull the trigger faster, you're still limited by the mechanics of the weapon.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »

I would allow it...

But part of why I would allow is is because I think spray attacks suck.

They're good for getting rid of really lowly mooks, but really lowly mooks are not much of a danger to the PC in the first place.

I'm for anything that that doesn't affect balance and allows my PCs to /feel/ more powerful.

Just my take on it.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
What BumblingBear and NicholasQuinn said is true.

Yes, I know they disagree with each other. But I agree with both of them.