Author Topic: Thaumaturgy, duration, and multiple entities / results...  (Read 2404 times)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Thaumaturgy, duration, and multiple entities / results...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
It also seems counter to the intent of the developers. By definition a ritual maneuver is likely going to be in a different scene as the tag, since the pace of thaumaturgy is slightly different than conflict.
How is it "counter to the intent of the developers"? 

Assessments ignore the scene limit on free tags and, to be blunt, so does thaumaturgy.  Potions and wards are thaumaturgy after all and I don't think anyone is suggesting they require fate point expenditure if used a few scenes later than when they were created.  To me, the difference between a potion and some other thaumaturgical spell is the purpose and the trappings.  Not the mechanics. 

And since casting several maneuvers to make use of the tags is actually something the developers suggest (in the paragraph after the one I quoted on YS265) I just don't like trying to neuter it that way.
They suggest casting a single spell not a series of individual spells for each maneuver.  Further, the text on wards specifically says you can't break the spells apart.  I think it's the individual series of spells which is counter to intent and abusing the system.  YMMV of course.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 11:23:12 PM »
I guess I should have been clear, I was responding to benign/supporting your argument.

I was simply saying that if ritual tags couldn't be used later, they probably wouldn't make that suggestion.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »
Ah, my apologies for misunderstanding.   :-[

I agree with you on the tag use, they do seem to be recommending setting them up for later.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer