Author Topic: city size  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: city size
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »
I thought of leylines, too. Also of a BIG cavern system where the bahkauv could dwell (and many other creatures, too). What to make exactly (rulewise) with the different creatures I have to decide when I have finished both books (YS and OW). But I would gratefully take any advice I could get, especially if someone has visited Aachen... ;D

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
I'd have to start digging but I'll bet dollars to donuts that we've got our own nasty folklore and historic bits that can work very nicely.

First thing that came to mind where the 'veenlijken' http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veenlijk which could have become all sorts of nasties.

There's the 'heksenwaag' a massive scale used to weigh witches. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waag_(Oudewater) Nobody was convicted but I'm sure that the terror all those poor women felt would have left an imprint of some sort.

Don't forget the Witte Wiev'n (White Wives). Too bad we don't really have a TM on any type of faerie or monster other these... :p

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
Not necessarily.  I seem to remember someone doing a game based around a motorcycle gang once.  Think they created the area along a stretch of highway rather than a city.

That was me, and my group still doesn't have a "city" per se, but neither did we create a section of highway either.  We pretty much ignored the entire City Creation section of the game except for the idea of Theme Aspects, and it's working just fine for us.

I also wanted to say that there really doesn't need to be a minimum size of city at all for a game to be interesting.  Twin Peaks, for example, was a small town and some interesting stuff happened there.  :)  Bon Temps, LA (True Blood) is a small town too and they have all manner of beasties running around.  It might give things possibly a more political flavor (in the sense of "everyone's gonna know if I just shoot this guy so let's find another way round it") if it IS a small town and every supernatural player knows the others.  You could limit the "bestiary" of supernaturals down to a reasonable, more focused size, OR you could go the other way and throw everything you can think of.  Then, maybe there's an underlying reason there are werewolves and demons and vampires and ghosts all flocking to this one small town.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »
... But I would gratefully take any advice I could get, especially if someone has visited Aachen... ;D

I've lived there for a few years. I can't claim large knowledge of local legends and stuff, but i'll gladly give whatever help i can.

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
Great.
I'll post my ideas, themes and threats as soon as I'm beginning to plan my campaign... :)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
Could be a very good idea. In Germany, we have the "Ruhrgebiet", which is the largest area of settlements in europe. Actually, there must be dozens of cities directly bordering to the next without even the slightest gap.
This, however would mean a LOT of work...

Not necessarily a lot of work upfront if you do city creation in a geographical region instead of faces and themes for each individual city. Get the basics out for some of the bigger cities and then fill in the rest as you need them.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby