Author Topic: Austin City Limits Case Files  (Read 2595 times)

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Austin City Limits Case Files
« on: July 23, 2011, 08:21:57 PM »
I've been running DFRPG for a few months now with a group that started as four and has sadly dwindled to three. The campaign title is Austin City Limits. We've managed to get two case files finished (a short and longer one) and we're more than halfway through the third. I'd like to start sharing the adventures here, first with the characters.

Active PCs:

Charley Cane is a former Austin Police officer turned private investigator who has more than a hint of demon blood in her. She ended up as a first responder to a shoot out between Red Court thugs and a lycanthrope gang. She got to see the full brunt of their powers before they dispersed when the other cops showed up. When she was truthful in her report about the abilities of the creatures she was fighting, she was put in for a pysch evaluation and eventually discharged. She is now runs Cane Investigations out of a converted house next door to Nanking Kitchen (more about that later)

"Robert" Shen Lo is a 1798 year old wizard and a relative new comer to the White Council, thanks to extenuating circumstances. During the Han Dynasty in China, the wizard Shen Lo belonged to the court of the Chancellor Cao Cao as a mystic warrior. Shen Lo was cursed to get into a long running battle with a rival sorceror Feng Li. Due to the curse, only one of them is allowed out of the NeverNever at any given time. When they do both come out, they must battle with the loser trapped in a pocket dimension for an indeterminate amount of time. Since time in the NeverNever flows differently nearly 1800 years have passed with Shen Lo and Feng Li spending a few years out or in. They are each supported by a clan of their ancestors, and it has come out in story that Ancient Mai is a lineal descendant of Shen Lo. She is much more powerful than he is, but he is by far the older although for all appearances he is younger. Since the White Council is a geritocracy, by sheer dent of his age he should be on the Senior Council. Because of the extenuating circumstances surrounding his curse, he is not allowed to be on the Senior council because he could end up trapped in the NeverNever during important political decisions. The eldest member of his clan, a withered chinese man called Grandpa Po runs a chinese restaurant in Austin called Nanking Kitchen. Shen Lo has become an almost Marc Katz type restaurateur (Katz is a bit of a local legend with his early morning commercials) in which Shen Lo plays up the stereotypical old chinese man.

Syrena Keres is a bit of a mystery. Supernaturally gifted, she exhibits both demonic and angelic qualities (part of the secret backstory is that Syrena is the result of an experimentation when a demon possessed person raped an angel possessed person.). An out cast, she ended up joining a new mafia outfit in town secretly run by the Red Court.

Retired to NPC-dom

The man known only as Lucky has been homeless for a number of years, having run away from home at an early age. He is extremely friendly and pious, but believes in living on the streets to help spread the Good Word. Lucky eventually joined the ranks of the Knights of the Cross, picking up the fabled fourth sword (more of that in the case file). He is a lineal descendant of the Gypsy King who forged the nails for the crucifixion. Due to personal reasons, Lucky's player had to leave the group, although I have brought him back as an NPC.

I'll post up the three case files we've done when I've got a bit more time. I gotta say though, I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.

*Update: Shen Lo is from the Han Dynasty, not the Ming Dynasty. That is a 1000 year difference that I didn't catch until like 10 minutes ago. I have updated his write up accordingly.*
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:32:21 AM by bobjob »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Re: Austin City Limits Case Files
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:51 PM »
Glad to know you're still running the game! Sorry I never got the chance to make it to one myself and while I'd love to try but I'm more or less constantly sick so mixing with your friend there would probably be bad for her...8P
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:20:56 PM »
No problem Ren. I still want to sit in on one of your games. We should try to make that happen.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 01:56:18 AM »
Do you have the sheets for these people?

The Spare Character Concepts thread hungers...

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:46:10 AM »
It just so happens I have put the PCs and most of my NPCs up on an Obsidian Portal page. The main character page is here: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/df-acl/characters

Shen Lo: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/df-acl/characters/loshen

Syrena Keres: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/df-acl/characters/syrena

Charley Cane: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/df-acl/characters/canec

I don't have Lucky's updated stats on there, but I do have his stats from before he became a Knight of the Cross.

Lucky: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/df-acl/characters/lucky

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:59 AM »
Case File: Amber Heart (part 1 of 3)

Note: This case file was to give Syrena an example of game play. Lucky didn't make the first session, but showed up for the second. The other two players were not available at the time and didn't show up until the first major case file.

The case started out with Syrena Keres working as hired muscle for Los Asesinos de Dios, a Mexican cartel that had recently moved some operations to Austin. The cartel's local don, Carlos Alvarez, was very interested in receiving a package he had recently purchased. This package was to be moved from a secure holding facility to his import/export business headquarters. He had tasked a subordinate, one Tommy Papania, with this mission. When Tommy goes missing with the package, Carlos insists on sending one of his troubleshooters, Syrena, to find out what was going on. Syrena began by hitting up some local spots that Tommy had been known to frequent, finally getting in touch with a friend of Tommy's who had recently heard from him. Something concerning the package had scared Tommy enough that he was willing to hide from a group of known murderers. Syrena intimidated the contact to get Tommy's where-abouts before heading over.

Syrena decides to scope out the apartment Tommy is supposedly hiding out in. Tommy's car is there and there is movement in the window, which is enough for her. She knocks on the door, pretending to be a delivery person. Nobody answers, although she does hear movement inside. She keeps up her ruse until she hears a gun slide, at which point she takes cover as a few shots come wildly through the door. She uses her enhanced strength to kick open the door only to see a foot disappearing through the window. Her speed enables her to get to the window quick enough to see Tommy running to his car. She jumps out and catches up as he peels off. Utilizing a combination of her speed and strength, she plunges through the rear window and pulls a knife on Tommy, causing him to wreck. Tommy is knocked unconscious. By standers run up to assist, preventing Syrena from taking Tommy immediately. They get taken to the hospital, where Syrena escapes to call in her mafioso contacts. Alvarez's capo Frank Warr shows up with a few hired hands to take care of Tommy. Syrena is immediately sent to determine the location of the package and return it to Alvarez.

Circling back to the wrecked car, she managed to snag a few things before the wrecker removes it completely. Inside is a few scraps of paper, one with an address. With Tommy, incapacitated, Syrena decides to check out the address. It leads her outside of Austin, to the little town of Oak Hill. She follows the address out to a small storage facility. She breaks in and finds a box with parcel postage from Africa. This adds up to the description she got from Frank Warr. She takes the box and brings it back to Alvarez's headquarters.

When she gets there, Alvarez offers her a drink while Frank opens the crate. Inside is a chunk of carved amber with symbols etched around the outside and what appears to be dried blood on it in places. Alvarez gifts her a bonus in cash for taking care of Tommy and bringing the crate, telling her that her thoroughness in her duty has won her major points in the organization.

Note: This was the end of the first session. The next session, Lucky's player shows up.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:23:45 AM by bobjob »

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »
Well this weekend is a bust game-wise as its mostly a planning session for an upcoming epic battle. Come to think of it i might be able to use your assistance running NPCs for said upcoming battle, I'll get back to you on that later.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 02:59:02 AM »
Sure, let me know if you need the help.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 03:56:13 AM »
Oh, sweet. It's the Amber Court.

Anyway, thanks for posting the sheets. I have some questions about them. Is this the place?

So, where were Charley and Shen Lo when this was happening?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 04:09:23 AM »
Yeah, this is the place. Ask away. Most of the NPCs don't have stat sheets on the OP page. I've got most of that sketched out in a notebook and I'll pass that along on request. I come up with the NPCs on the fly.

Charley and Shen Lo weren't available to play at the time and Syrena's character was really worried about how game play would go. She'd never been in a really narrative story like Fate, being used to crunchier systems. Lucky's player didn't show up until the second session because of work. I didn't actually intend for the whole thing to be part of the overall story... it was more about showing her game mechanics in action. Like a true GM though, I found a way to weave it all together. I'm actually writing the second part up now, but it's a little long. I think I might post it up in three parts to ease on digestion.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:23:31 AM »
Case File: Amber Heart (part 2 of 3)

The second part of the story picks up a few days later with Syrena eating a late lunch at Nanking Kitchen, a semi-famous restaurant in Austin. The proprietor, Shen Lo, is an acquaintance of hers "in the know", the two of them having dealt with cultists on a past assignment. She tells him about the amber stone she had found, describing the etchings and the fact that it was covered in blood. Most of Shen Lo's experience is in Chinese spirits, but he does recall mediating a dispute between Jade Court vampires and an unknown African vampire that belonged to court he had never heard of, the Amber Court. The Jade Court had come into possession of a similar amber stone and the African vampire wanted to get it back since it belonged to her court. According to the scant research he had located surrounding the meeting, the Amber Court  is located primarily in Ethiopia and may have less than 100 total members. Around this time, Syrena is called by Frank Warr to stop by Alvarez's Lake Travis estate for another job.

Like a good soldier, Syrena drops what she's doing and answers her bosses call. When she gets to the Alvarez estate, she finds not only Frank and Carlos there, but an unknown man with a beard and pony tail, holding a string with a crystal attached over a map. He seems deep in concentration, so Frank and Carlos move to another room to brief Syrena. According to Frank, Tommy had disappeared again and he had stolen the amber stone from Carlos. Syrena is surprised that he is still alive to begin with. She doesn't probe for much information though, she just wants to know if they have a location. Around that time, the stranger walks in holding the map. Tommy has stopped moving on Lamar Street. Frank assures Syrena that she will receive phone updates on Tommy's movement.

Cut to Lucky. Lucky and his friend Roger are walking down Lamar Street after another rousing day of hoboing (yeah I have no clue what they do all day). It is early evening, so they are heading to a place they know is safe to grab a meal and maybe a cot for the hot Texas night. As they are walking down the road, they hear commotion in between two buildings. At first it sounds like a scuffle and then a wet popping noise. They decide to check out the noise and confront a medium sized man standing over the mangled body of a female. He is covered in blood. They notice a few other things odd about this guy. His eyes are solid black, he has long piranha-type teeth, and he has just cracked open the girl's rib cage. Roger is a former US Army special forces who fell on hard times after the first Iraq War. Lucky has the power of faith on his side. When Roger takes out an old army KABAR knife and attacks, Lucky hangs back and begins praying. Roger is fairly out of practice and Tooth Man gets the better of him, grabbing him with one strong hand and starts climbing up the side of the building. Lucky calls on his God and jumps to grab Roger. In the process of steadying himself, he touches Tooth Man's foot, which causes a sharp sizzle sound. Tooth Man releases Roger and disappears up the wall to the roof. Roger and Lucky rush out to the street to recover under a street light.

Cut to Syrena. She leaves the estate and heads down the road a bit when a black SUV whips around her on the road and cuts her off. A large man in a suit gets out and walks over to her window and tells her that Pilar Sosa requests her presence in the SUV. Syrena doesn't immediately recognize the name and is a bit reluctant until the suit pulls out a gun. Rather uncharacteristic of Syrena, she doesn't try to attack him and goes quietly. Inside the rear of the SUV is a beautiful latina wearing an evening gown. She introduces herself as Pilar Sosa and shakes Syrena's hand. Syrena noticed that her hand was a little wet and sticky. Pilar opens the talk with the fact that she is Carlos Alvarez's boss and thus pays Syrena's bills. She knows that Carlos has something important, something that he has been keeping from her. As Pilar is talking, Syrena notices that she is feeling a bit loopy and numb. Between Pilar's calm but direct demeanor and whatever is effecting her, Syrena decides to tell about the amber stone and the fact that one of Carlos' runners had apparently stolen it. Pilar sends Syrena on her way, with a thank you and an offer of future employment opportunties within the organization.

Note: I broke up the second session into two posts. I thought it was getting a little long to digest all at once.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:25:21 AM by bobjob »

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 04:36:27 PM »
Case File: Amber Heart (part 3 of 3)

Cut to Lucky. Lucky and Roger are a little bent out of shape at this point. Roger has never encountered anything that could do what the Tooth Man could. Lucky has experienced some odd things, having faced down a ghoul in the past. Roger has not put down his KABAR knife, which attracts the attention of a police officer patrolling the street. He flashes his lights and pulls over. He approaches with his hand on his gun, indicating that Roger should drop the knife and back away. Lucky is worried that the cop may smell the blood from the alley behind them which would open up a whole new world of complications. Another cop shows up and Roger and Lucky are seperated. Having dealt with the police before on the street, Roger and Lucky worked up a quick plan with Roger having found the KABAR a few blocks away and was showing it to Lucky. After some fantastic deceit rolls, they pass this off. The cops take the knife with the caveat that Roger can pick it back up after they have verified it was not used in a recent crime. Syrena arrives and watches the cops leave before walking over to Lucky on her phone with Frank Warr. She was really close to the last location they picked Tommy up at.

Syrena knows Lucky from Nanking Kitchen as Shen Lo often feeds him in exchange for performing odd jobs. Lucky sees Syrena and has to warn her to be extremely careful, that something evil is around. Syrena talks Lucky into bringing her to the alley to show her where the attack happened. In the alley they find lots of blood, but not body. A trail of blood leads up the wall. Syrena jumps into overdrive mode while Roger and Lucky just want to get away. She rushes around the back of the building, looking for a way up. After a declaration roll, she finds a ladder. Lucky decides to join her with the spooked Roger staying behing incase cops show up. On the roof Lucky and Syrena find the girl's body. She appears to be missing a heart (neither of them are medical experts, but *something* is missing). Lucky gives the girl last rights as Syrena looks for a trail. She is not 100% sure this is her actual mission, but she sometimes has to move in this ambiguous territory. She follows the blood trail off the roof and over a fence into a residential neighborhood. Lucky and Roger follow her reluctantly, not able to talk her out of the chase, so offering to back her up.

As they follow the blood trail, they hear a car alarm a few blocks over. Syrena remembers that Tommy is pretty adept at boosting cars, so she pours on the speed leaving Lucky and Roger in the dust. She gets to the block just in time to see a white truck turning the corner a block away. As Roger and Lucky catch up, they see Syrena pass them heading in the opposite direction, back towards where they started their trek. Syrena jumps in the car and calls Frank while waiting on Lucky and Roger to catch up. Tommy was indeed moving up Lamar street. Syrena gets on the road, following Tommy at a quick pace, running red lights. She doesn't have to worry about cops getting on her tail because they were already on Tommy's as he is similarly blowing through red lights and around slower cars. 

Tommy gets on hwy 35 to head to FM 620 heading out to Lake Travis. The cops attempt to set up a road block to stop the speeding truck. The truck's tires blow out and the truck does some fairly impressive flips towards stopped incoming traffic. As the cops move in to apprehend what must now be a dead drive, the front windshield blows out and a dark shape runs for the woods. Syrena does a little offroading in her car to get around the cops and back on the road. She suspects that Tommy is heading out to Alvarez's house and she tries to beat him there, calling Frank warr to warn him.

She gets there as Carlos' hired muscle are loading weapons. Syrena rushes inside, leaving Lucky and Roger in the back of the car. After a few minutes Lucky begins to feel a darkness moving quickly towards him. He ducks down in the backseat as something uses the roof of the car to launch an attack at the guards. At this point I took a bit of license with the fight. Roger and Lucky heard shots fired and people screaming before hearing the front door get torn off it's henges. Lucky peeks up and sees the guards torn limb from limb. Roger grabs one of the dropped rifles as Lucky walks up the stairs.

Syrena is inside Carlos' office preparing to protect her boss. She has moved some heavy furniture infront of the door and Carlos and Frank are readying weapons off to the side. They hear the door downstairs explode and then heavy footsteps up the stairs. Syrena stands ready to prepare for the worse. Tommy the Tooth Man begins punching holes through the walls so he can peer through. He also begins taunting Syrena.

Lucky feels drawn to the conflict. He knows that touching this guy was able to hurt him in the past and he's not sure what Syrena is going to be able to do, if anything. When Tommy pulls away from Carlos' office, Syrena moves to one of the holes to hear Tommy calling Lucky out. Lucky calmly walks up the stairs, fully expecting to die taking Tommy with him. When Syrena hears this, she bursts through the wall and sees Tommy lunge for Lucky. As Lucky and Tommy grapple, Lucky calls upon his faith to burn Tommy. Tommy throws Lucky to the bottom of the stairs, knocking him unconcious as Syrena drop kicks Tommy off of the stair case. Syrena then uses this chance to grab a weapon (she used a declaration to state that Carlos would be the type of person to have display weapons. Even if they are not sharp, they could still be useful). She runs down the stairs and decapitates Tommy before he can recover.

Carlos and Frank appear after Syrena signals the all clear. Frank starts working with newly arrived associates to clear up the bodies outside, while Carlos calls in a favor with doctor he has used in the past to tend to Lucky's wounds. Syrena gets angry with Carlos about how Tommy could have gotten ahold of the stone and Carlos (mostly in shock) explains that Tommy had been a guinea pig for an artifact known as the Heart of Amber. He wasn't going to survive much past the point that Carlos could verify the process worked. Syrena, Lucky, and Roger are all paid by Carlos to keep this quiet. He has already lost enough people and can't afford to lose more.

In the aftermath, Lucky has a concussion and Syrena is only really scratched. They get him fixed up on the quiet and they are driven away. The cops know of gun shots in the area, but haven't been able to locate the cause as each of the estates looking over Lake Travis are large. Syrena finds out later that Carlos has been removed as Boss by Pilar Sosa (for reasons unknown to them at the time... it very well could just be his bungling of the entire situation, or it could be because he was attempting to turn himself into an Amber Court vampire). Frank Warr is now the boss.

Note: This concluded our first casefile Amber Heart. We started into the next case, Spiritual Awakening, a few weeks later. I'll start writing that one up when I get some more time.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
I've been running a game in Austin set in Austin for a while now.

I should post a run down of the story in my game so far. :)

I trade off GMing with one of the players in my group, and I love doing so.  Whenever he gets done I have tons of new material to do disturbing and delightful things with.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »
Yeah, as far as I know there are three games by posters on this board which are played in Austin (you, me, and Ren), although I think only our two games are actually run in Austin. Ren has his in some other area.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 06:37:05 PM »
Yeah, as far as I know there are three games by posters on this board which are played in Austin (you, me, and Ren), although I think only our two games are actually run in Austin. Ren has his in some other area.

It's kind of interesting that such a relatively large amount of posters on the boards here are in the Austin area, isn't it?

Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.