Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 224380 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #570 on: June 25, 2012, 04:38:16 AM »
He got the power to defeat Justin from Lea, I believe.

By WoJ all he got from the deal with Lea was a confidence boost.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline khatre

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2012, 02:51:19 AM »
By WoJ all he got from the deal with Lea was a confidence boost.

and some painful smexing.  :o
"You did a bad thing once. It does not make you a monster." "What if it does? What if it does Harry?" "Molly, you are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself." "Are you sure?" "Yes." "You're okay. You aren't a monster. You're gonna be alright, grasshopper."

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 29, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
Question/Query/Idle speculation:  In Ghost Story, Molly mentioned kids being taken from the homes at night.  Given the brazenness (ch. spelling) of theese attacks, might not these be the first creatures not necessarily bound by threshold limitations?  Or would it be better to assume the work of mortal agents or possibly the idea they lived in apartments/rented housing with weak thresholds?
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 29, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
Question/Query/Idle speculation:  In Ghost Story, Molly mentioned kids being taken from the homes at night.  Given the brazenness (ch. spelling) of theese attacks, might not these be the first creatures not necessarily bound by threshold limitations?  Or would it be better to assume the work of mortal agents or possibly the idea they lived in apartments/rented housing with weak thresholds?
You could assume the Formor's mortal flunkies that seem to be everywhere, but thresholds are not 100% able to keep out the big bads.  Mostly they act as a metaphysical screen keeping out a certain portion of your supernatural ability.  Some creatures, like ghosts, have a hard time keeping themselves together with that handicap, but not everyone gets completely stopped by a threshold.  Remember in Storm Front how the frog demon charged into Harry's apartment despite the threshold?  Plus, somehow the fetches got into the Carpenter home in PG.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline scottpike

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 30, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
HI first time posting, I wasn't sure where to post but this looked like an appropriate section.  I read ghost story months ago and recently I went on a kick to relisten to the books through audible.com mostly and I was listening to Summer Knight where he's talking to the Mothers when they talk about the mantle of Summer Knight being made inaccessible and useless and that while it exists it cannot be used is whats causing the war.  We learn that Aurora did this by turning the half fay girl into the Knight and then a statue.  It only just now occured to me that Harry  and Mab especially did the same thing for six months.  He arranged to die, but then Mab kept him sort of alive by linking up to his body and keeping it breathing for half a year.  But the winter knight mantle was still in him.  But unusable unless he came back to his body or it died and the mantle returned to the queen.  The fairy courts went to war after a few days of the Summer Knight mantle being gone.  Why didn't this happen when Harry "died" but the mantle didn't return. I mean I know Mab knew what was going on, but did anybody else know?  Effectively both the Winter Knight and Queen were taken out of effective action for half a year so why hasn't the world suffered weather cataclysm due to fairy war fallout?

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 30, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
I think it has a lot to do with timing and who was messing with the balance of power.  In the case of SK it was during an important shift in power between the courts.  Refusal to give up the stone table was what sparked the war.  Not the missing mantle of the SK.  Also one of the summer ladies purposely manipulating the power balance to start a war is a bit different than Mab doing everything she can to prevent her knight from dying.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
Bought and finished Ghost Story in 3 days while on holiday. Loved it. I'm worried about what's going to happen now, though. Mab's last words were extremely ominous.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 14, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
Plus, somehow the fetches got into the Carpenter home in PG.
That was because they got in through Molly, who provided them the means because she had created fear in the minds of her friends. It built a bridge, like dreams did for the Nightmare or an invitation from a ghost that considers a place his home would.

That's the simple version, anyway.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2012, 01:47:13 AM »
There's also the WoJ that they just hammered straight through the threshold.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Camdin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 16, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
Does anyone else see EB as the bad guy, he is the blackstaff after all he didn't get involved with helping Harry out tell he found out about the bloodline curse affecting him. I mean come on he's totally black council, he's just using the "gray council" to occupy harry and to weed out the good guys from the ones he can use.

First Post: I beleive in this theory myself, has Harry actually discussed the position of the Blackstaff or the Grey Council with ANYONE else on the White Council?  From what I can remember, the only person he's ever talked to about it was EB.  Since EB isn't above lieing to Harry, I put forth that there is no Grey Council and EB just convinced Harry that he was doing good when in fact he was helping the bad guys.  It may be that there is no position of Blackstaff and EB is a warlock operating in secret from the White Council.  You have to remember that in learning how the bloodline curse worked he not only was worried about protecting himself but he could have decided that if it were used to wipe out the Red Court(as it was) it would cause a massive amount of chaos just as the Black Council would want. 

The first hole on this argument would be that Harry has soulgazed EB but since it didn't tell Harry anything about EB being the Blackstaff this could have been hidden as well.  A soulgaze just shows the type of person he is, for all we know EB could be on the Black Council but truely beleive that he is doing good.

The second hole is the fact that Odin came to CI with the supposed "Grey Council" and he seemed to be acting on the side of good.  Though as he has already shown in that meeting, Odin also like to keep things close to his chest and perhaps helped plan CI from the beginning as another member of the Black Council or a god who could see this happening as helping his overall end-game goals whatever they are.

They have said before that the reason why betrayal is so cursed is that it always comes from someone whom you would never suspect.  Harry's mentor and grandfather being a bad guy would be a great way to twist the screws and really question himself and his lineage. 

Also I beleive that Lea is not only his godmother but also his Grandmother with EB.  Looking back it would make a kissing scene or two a little gross but it would also explain how mama Maggie was able to get Lea to protect Harry so much over the years.  Margaret could have been a changeling who chose to be human and thus a wizard rather than becoming fae but was still Lea's daughter.  Lea may have felt an obligation to protect her and further offspring because of this. [Edit: This could also explain how Margaret seemed to have a fairy's gift for the ways.  Heck maybe she was a changeling who never chose but passed for human well enough for the White Council to never catch on.  And perhaps it is an explanation for Harry's gift for listening, a deluted down fairy power from his grandma.]  The whole mythology and legend behind Lea was how she would seduce mortal men and EB said himself that sometimes you gotta make deals you wouldn't normally make.  I wouldn't put it past him to get a child on Lea if he needed help bad enough.

Edit: Or heck if I'm wrong about Lea, maybe Grandma Mabs?(scratch that, them on the stone table in Changes makes this too disturbing)  I just don't see EB shacking up with a mortal woman back in the day, it would be too bland and not fit as awesomely in the Dresden universe.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:23:38 PM by Camdin »
Wile E. Coyote, Suuuuuuuuper Genius.

Camdin BK+++ RP JB TH WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC++ SH[Molly++++, Murphy+++, Mab++, Lash+]

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #580 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
Mortal women aren't awesome enough? Are too bland?

Murphy and Charity might have something to say about that.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Camdin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 16, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »

True enough, but for storytelling purposes, it isn't likely that Harry's grandma on his Mom's side was a White Council wizard since it would probably make his lineage well known among other wizards who knew her.  So if that grandma was a mortal, it would most likely make her a vanilla mortal that EB never told anyone about.  Because of this and Margarete's age when she died(I beleive over a century but I don't remember for certain) it would mean that this grandma would be dead and would at most get a brief description from EB if Harry could ever get him to talk about it.  For storyline purposes this would be boring and a one-off that would never get brought up again.  But if Harry's grandma on that side was immortal, it would bring in alot of color especially if it was someone he already knows.  And it could influence him on certain factors going into the future.  As an example if lets say Lea was his grandma, I could see them growing closer with him being the winter knight which could then lead him into risking his life to save her or to even usurp Queen Mab.  Neither of which I could currently see him doing or at least not willingly. 
Wile E. Coyote, Suuuuuuuuper Genius.

Camdin BK+++ RP JB TH WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC++ SH[Molly++++, Murphy+++, Mab++, Lash+]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 17, 2012, 01:29:47 AM »
It may be that there is no position of Blackstaff and EB is a warlock operating in secret from the White Council. 

Not true, The Blackstaff is a official position by WoJ.

First Post: I beleive in this theory myself, has Harry actually discussed the position of the Blackstaff or the Grey Council with ANYONE else on the White Council?  From what I can remember, the only person he's ever talked to about it was EB.  Since EB isn't above lieing to Harry, I put forth that there is no Grey Council and EB just convinced Harry that he was doing good when in fact he was helping the bad guys.

Also referred to by name in WoJ, it exists and all 13 (Harry included) members who showed up at Chichen Itza are members.

Also I beleive that Lea is not only his godmother but also his Grandmother with EB.

Nope, mortal who died in 1810.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #583 on: July 17, 2012, 03:04:58 AM »
I'm just going to put this out there:

Sometimes, not everything in the backstory has to be "the most awesome thing I can think of." Somewhere back along the line, the heroes' progenitors were normal people. Otherwise you get the George Lucas Effect where everyone who ever appears, is mentioned, or is mentioned second hand with a different spelling, is some incredible badass having super improbable adventures and the world becomes too damn crowded.

Star Wars isn't better because every single extra in the first movie's Cantina scene has their own EU book. Dresden wouldn't be better if everyone in everyone's backstory was some kind of super awesome badass wizard fae.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »

I think bland is the last word I would use to describe Scarlett Johansson.  8) 8)
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.