Author Topic: loup garou vs Warden Sword  (Read 8354 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: loup garou vs Warden Sword
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
Huh, I didn't know you payed attention to this forum.

Or do you just have a quasi-magical ability to sense when people need WoJ help?

not too far off on that, cept unlike wizards, I get my heroin from sharing info, so here's how I do it.

If you click on the search link near the top left of the page, there is an option on that page for "advanced search"

Within there I make the Search for: field "WoJ," leave the by user: as "*" and then make the Message Age between zero and whatever my last search was.

Then I repeat the process with "Serack" to see if anyone has responded to something I have said with a quote or specifically referred to me within their post.  This really helps me see when someone has responded to something I said in a topic I am no longer closely following.

If I am looking for a forum based WoJ that I'm a little fuzzy on which topic I put it under in the compilation (Forum WoJ's are frequently more diverse in the topics they cover within a single response) I usually use the same function and put "jimbutcher" in the by user: field.

reading some of the earlier responses that didn't talk about WoJ...

Jim goes into very great detail about Warden Swords in the books.  Can't remember what book it is but it is very specific and repeated in many of them.  I do recall them being referred to as "silver sword of the Wardens"  Dead Beat, chapter 39. 

Captain Luccio  explains to Harry about Warden swords in White Knight!   Check out Chapter 22 of White Knight if you want to know why. That will explain everything without me posting spoilers! I can state that they are definitely not mass produced and it is very unlikelyt for them to be inherited. 

certainly, in fact Jim touches on how difficult it would be for another wizard to use a different warden's sword here:

Quote from: mysterious galexy Q&A
Will Harry get a sword?
He can't because Luccio can't make them any more.  I suppose he could use another warden's sword if he became enough like them.  Morgan's sword for example (smirk).  If he shared the same kind of psychological profile as Morgan, if he ever got beat into that shape, he could probably be able to pick up his sword and use it.  Naw Harry is more of a gun guy really. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »
Will someone please go to the WOJ topic.  Then type "jimbutcher wardens" into the search function. The 7th item that comes is a link to jims post in a thread.
Re:DF: magical items
please quote or link to it since my device will not.
thanks in advance.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 01:28:50 AM »
Will someone please go to the WOJ topic.  Then type "jimbutcher wardens" into the search function. The 7th item that comes is a link to jims post in a thread.
Re:DF: magical items
please quote or link to it since my device will not.
thanks in advance.

Doh, I feel silly now.  When I did my search for jim posts with swords, I missed the fact that there was a 2nd page, with that post on it.  Sorry I missed it, and thanks for making it exceedingly obvious PND

Here's the info that's been searched for: 

Swords - All Wardens prior to Harry are armed with a sword which is (Per Jim) "super good for cutting through/disrupting fields of magical energy.  They rip through magic-charged ectoplasm of the nevernever, like the kind demons make when they need a body to inhabit in the real world, like there's no tomorrow.  Otherwise, they are simply swords created by a master of the craft with centuries of experience from the finest alloys available at the time of their creation." As Luccio explained in White Night, these swords are unique for each Warden, and were all made by Luccio. With her recent body-swap, Luccio no longer has the ability to make more swords, thus Harry has not been provided with one. Luccio refers to her "design", implying that there is a common language for creating such items, and therefore another wizard may be able to make these swords in the future.

They don't cut through anything.  They are super good for cutting through/disrupting fields of magical energy.  They rip through magic-charged ectoplasm of the nevernever, like the kind demons make when they need a body to inhabit in the real world, like there's no tomorrow.  Otherwise, they are simply swords created by a master of the craft with centuries of experience from the finest alloys available at the time of their creation.

Jim
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the assist serack. You were supremely helpful as always. :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:15 AM »
Very clever, Serack.

I bow to your superior search-fu.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
And there we have it...8)
Thanks Serack! I'm still going with the idea that the Inherited Sword was made with enough Silver to do the job as it was made pre-Luccio and also because a Fate Point was spent to make it so. I don't have a huge issue with this as it's current owner is a pure mortal so it's just a really well-made sword with silver in it. I could always have it explode dramatically...8)
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Alberich

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
And there we have it...8)
Thanks Serack! I'm still going with the idea that the Inherited Sword was made with enough Silver to do the job as it was made pre-Luccio and also because a Fate Point was spent to make it so. I don't have a huge issue with this as it's current owner is a pure mortal so it's just a really well-made sword with silver in it. I could always have it explode dramatically...8)

Good Luck bringing a Sword to a Loup Garou Fight on a pure mortal. It is breaking alot of already confirmed information for the Dresden universe but then again it is always your game.

My real problem with reading this whole thread is of course, how boring it is.  Your specificly handing your players enemies they are already equiped to defeat. Wheres the fun in that? thats just hack'n slash.  It would be better for them to have to figure out what the Loup Garou is in this encounter and figure a means around it not through it. Perhaps finding another weakness? or a ally who is equiped to defeat one (Knight of the Cross anyone?). Also keep in mind in general Loup Garou are CURSED its not their choices to do what they do. Most from what we know hate it and despise themselves for it but can do little to help themselves. They need help, not being killed as a monster of the week.
What if the Loup garou had powerful allies or friends and seek revenge after the players kill him? and play this up for all its worth. Also remember part of the Loup Garou curse is that the bloodline will never die, this garantees it has a kid somewhere who may hold a grudge against the strangers who came into town and killed their parent.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 03:07:50 PM »
Part of macfinn's curse was that the bloodline would never die. That doesn't mean that the same thing applies for all loup garou.

Offline Alberich

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
Part of macfinn's curse was that the bloodline would never die. That doesn't mean that the same thing applies for all loup garou.

True from our only example in the books. But from the universal houserule to gaming it just makes the story better by adding more plot and story options later and of course my personal favorite, Players actions having positive and negative results for the over-all story.

Maybe the players can make amends for their actions by helping break the bloodline curse? or similar deeds.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »
*I'm a player in this game*
So my player and another player took on the Loup, but he was hard as hell to get. I took off his arm, and was ready to take him out, when a 3rd character found his heart in a Jar (also that player was the Werewolves son) broke the jar, destroyed the heart, killed the beast.

This was also in the middle of an Epic fight full of Were-Crocs, Were-Gators, Cultists, and Gator-Demi gods.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »
Sounds like a fun battle.
Why was the nigh invincible monster's heart in a jar?

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
Sounds like a fun battle.
Why was the nigh invincible monster's heart in a jar?
I dont remember, so you couldnt get to it? I forget.
It made sense at the time.
I would keep my heart in a safe, underground.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »
I was thinking that one thing about this 'heart in a jar' business bugged me, namely: How did he get the heart out?! But then it hit me: he isn't as invulnerable as a human. :)

What kind of power-level are we talking here?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 02:52:53 AM »
I think it bears mention that a "pure mortal" in this system can be quite nasty with enough refresh, stunts and skill.  All the powers in the world don't help if you can't roll defense or attack to save your life (literally).

Example: mortal with 5 to 6 in a skill versus something or someone with a 3-4. 

Not saying a Loup Garou should have low skills, but it easily could if hte GM decided to use it in a lower powerl level game or in one with mostly mortals.  It is just a tweak to stats afterall.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
I think it bears mention that a "pure mortal" in this system can be quite nasty with enough refresh, stunts and skill.  All the powers in the world don't help if you can't roll defense or attack to save your life (literally).

Example: mortal with 5 to 6 in a skill versus something or someone with a 3-4. 

Not saying a Loup Garou should have low skills, but it easily could if hte GM decided to use it in a lower powerl level game or in one with mostly mortals.  It is just a tweak to stats afterall.

I understand what you are saying, but why in the frickin' heck would you use a loup-garou in a low-power game?! And why tone it down? Use hexenwulfs instead. If there ever was one creature meant to singularly inspire fear and awe, it is a loup-garou. If a Pure Mortal takes off an arm of such a creature... Let's just say: way beyond suspension of disbelief, IMO