Author Topic: Can Changelings etc. shifting into the Nevernever at attuned places?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
In my gaming group is a halfdryad. Would she be able to shift into the nevernever in a group of trees? The same question would occur to me with an red court infected or other half supernatural beings. Perhaps you could make it an 1 point power to be able to shift at attuned places, which isnīt necessary anymore if you become a true fae ao whatsoever....

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: Can Changelings etc. shifting into the Nevernever at attuned places?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
With a dryad, I'd say something with trees, indeed. Perhaps a particular family of trees, as in the myths dryads are often bound to a certain tree, so he/she could only shift through pine trees, for example.

Red Court Infected: I wouldn't let them have that shifting ability at all. I'd say the key is there is a place attuned to the nature of a supernatural creature, so the creature should embrace said nature. RCI's don't exactly embrace theirs. Thomas, while reluctant in some ways, still embraces his WCV nature, so he could shift in and out at certain places.

In the case of changelings, there is little difficulty: either they accept their faerie half, or renounce it. A RCI has this state inflicted upon them and if they accept/embrace it, they will turn into a RCV, but until they do, I doubt they can shift into the Nevernever without a special power/item or help.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »
As for how I would model it, it would totally be a declaration.  Either Lore or by invoking one's High Concept.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
Or a simple invocation for effect of their high concept.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »
In my gaming group is a halfdryad. Would she be able to shift into the nevernever in a group of trees? The same question would occur to me with an red court infected or other half supernatural beings. Perhaps you could make it an 1 point power to be able to shift at attuned places, which isnīt necessary anymore if you become a true fae ao whatsoever....
I'd allow it without it being a power - with some caveats.  Transition will be slow and take some work (probably an extended contest if trying to hurry, else time just passes).  Second, it would be limited to a few places where the individual knows it works.  Not any grove of trees, but a particular grove on a ley line or something similar.

For more ubiquitous travel, Worldwalker is the way to go...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:26 PM »
I'd allow it without it being a power - with some caveats.  Transition will be slow and take some work (probably an extended contest if trying to hurry, else time just passes).  Second, it would be limited to a few places where the individual knows it works.  Not any grove of trees, but a particular grove on a ley line or something similar.

For more ubiquitous travel, Worldwalker is the way to go...

I agree with this.  It should be definitely possible without a power, but limited.  Declarations and fate points are your friends if you're feeling iffy about it in a particular circumstance.  Also, I'm more willing to allow Changelings and other scions of NeverNever natives to do it easily than things like Red Court Infected that don't have quite as much connection to the other side.

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Thank you very much for the answers. I already allowed the halfdryad to peek into the nevernever with a lore roll arguing with her high concept. I think it is a good idea to use a fate point to invoke the high concept to shift into the nevernever. I think I will handle it like this and only at certain places which are at least a little bit magical.