Author Topic: Aggregates, Mobs, Flocks, Packs, Clouds and other Masses  (Read 2585 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Aggregates, Mobs, Flocks, Packs, Clouds and other Masses
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »
So, reached the climactic scene of a scenario; the warlock has been exposed, and it's time for the Monster Mash in the ballroom (literally!).  He's called in his entire little army of summoned and bound creatures (some demons, a shapeshifting assassin (think doppleganger), some manticores, and... a bunch of imps.)

Now, it's the imps that are a problem; I've adapted them from Sanctaphrax's imps (over on the wiki), but they're very weak individual combatants, better used for recon.  On the other hand, there are something like 50 of them (all shouting "Rematch! Rematch!" as the PCs have squashed their little forms before and as a nod to the Spectacular Spiderman's Mysterio) so a large flock (murder? cloud?) of imps still seems like a threat.

So, two questions:

First, more generally: how could you handle a large mob of weaker individuals in this system? 

Second, as an applied answer to the first question: How to handle the specific question of a flock of ~50 imps?

The answer I've been toying with is an aggregate "creature";

incomplete general idea:
High Concept: "Flock Of Imps"
Trouble: Rematch! Rematch!
Aspects: Mob Mentality
Infernal Pests

Great or Superb Fists (to illustrate the group maneuvering and aiding each other enough to add significant punch to their combined blows)
Superb Endurance (wow, there are alot of them...)
Fair Athletics (they're still a pretty big target)
Inhuman Toughness (they are still demons)
The Catch (in addition to Holy Stuff, AOE attacks affect them normally)

Thoughts?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Aggregates, Mobs, Flocks, Packs, Clouds and other Masses
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
So, two questions:

First, more generally: how could you handle a large mob of weaker individuals in this system? 
Probably very similar to what you've done.  I'd take the base creature and figure a bunch of them are doing declarations / maneuvers each turn for a +2 Mob of Imps bonus to all appropriate actions.  I'd also treat all attacks as zone wide (though intelligent critters wouldn't affect allies).

Second, as an applied answer to the first question: How to handle the specific question of a flock of ~50 imps?

The answer I've been toying with is an aggregate "creature";

incomplete general idea:
High Concept: "Flock Of Imps"
Trouble: Rematch! Rematch!
Aspects: Mob Mentality
Infernal Pests

Great or Superb Fists (to illustrate the group maneuvering and aiding each other enough to add significant punch to their combined blows)
Superb Endurance (wow, there are alot of them...)
Fair Athletics (they're still a pretty big target)
Inhuman Toughness (they are still demons)
The Catch (in addition to Holy Stuff, AOE attacks affect them normally)

Thoughts?
Looks pretty good.  I'd just add the zone wide attacks so you don't need to roll them individually.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
I think you could easily adopt the mook rules from 7th sea here. A group of mooks will get skills at a level equal to their numbers, though a group is limited to 6... I think. The group will act as 1 character in a fight.The more challenging you want to make those groups, increase their size and therefore abilities. Abilities like "pack instinct" or "unit training" could be treated as stunts for the group-creature that will give a bonus to their strength as long as there are at least 3 of them.

So in your case, 50 imps would result in 10 groups of superb strength. Still quite a few, but only 1 group can attack at any time, so this would make it a lot easier, it would only take some time to get through them. Each point of stress will result in 1 dead mook, limiting the strength of the group effectively. Consequences should be out of the question. For AoE effects, I would put 1 group per zone, if they are human sized creatures, maybe more if they are smaller (imps might be). Oh, and letting more than one, maybe two groups attack at once would be too overcrowded as well, I think.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
If you like, I can stat them up as a new creature.

I'm thinking a zonewide attack and a Dangerous Aura. That way, they can make oodles of attacks each turn, which I think helps model the "swarm" feel of the whole thing.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
There's rules for a mob in Spirit of the Century, if I remember correctly. But I like the idea of an aggregate mob creature :)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »
If you like, I can stat them up as a new creature.

I'm thinking a zonewide attack and a Dangerous Aura. That way, they can make oodles of attacks each turn, which I think helps model the "swarm" feel of the whole thing.
I think a "swarm" line of lesser creatures might not be a bad idea to put in your creation queue; everything from human mobs to army insects.  

But don't hurry on the cloud of imps; I've already got things set for my game for tomorrow in that area, pretty much in line with what I've got above.  

However, on the zonewide attack, make it weak; individually, the creatures making up a swarm aren't that dangerous--it's en masse on a single target that they're really dangerous.  A spray-attack is probably the best way of illustrating that spreading of limited lethality.  To illustrate, I have given my "cloud of imps" a Superb Fists and Claws, while the individual imps can only do one stress per attack--because all couple dozen imps are ganging up on a single target.
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:35:38 AM »
Maybe some variant on Hulking Size, and/or the ability to make zone attacks at -2.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:45:58 AM »
How's this?

I admit some of the skills are kinda sketchy. I had to fill out the pyramid somehow.

Cloud Of Imps (Chest Deep)

High Concept: Flock Of Imps
Trouble Aspect: Rematch! Rematch!
Other Aspects: Mob Mentality, Infernal Pests
Skills:   
Superb: Fists, Endurance
Great: Intimidation, Alertness
Good: Presence, Deceit
Fair: Athletics, Lore
Average: Might, Investigation
Stunts:
Incredibly Annoying (Intimidation): +2 to all attempts to make someone angry.
Swarm Attack (Fists): May make spray attacks with Fists.
Powers:
Claws [-1]
Wings [-1]
Extra-Dangerous Aura [-3] (Great attack against the zone each turn)
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
The Catch (Holy Stuff and area attacks) [+3]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:51:21 AM »
Looks great!

I suppose I should report on how the session went:
One character, after having spent the entire scenario saving up 14 fate points, walked up to the cloud of imps harassing the wizard, and with good choices of stunts and a good roll and after tagging:

Budding Marine Officer
"To err is human; to forgive, divine. Neither is Marine Corps policy."
Military Brat
"Hard things we can do right away. Impossible things may take a bit longer."
Something To Prove
Off The Edge Of The Map--Here There Be Monsters
There For Those Close To Me

Rematch! Rematch!
Infernal Pests
It Was A Monster Mash...

proceeded to destroy all of them in a single exchange.  :D

And then walked up to the other cloud of imps on the next exchange and made an intimidate roll, tagging "Wanna see me do it again?" 

They boogied.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »
Sounds like it was awesome.
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:49:14 PM »
14 Fate Points? How?

Offline The Happy Anarchist

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:49:26 AM »
Being a mortal, not blowing all your refresh on stunts and being willing to compel like a mad man.  Fate points is what mortals do, and it always boggles my mind when I see someone play a pure mortal and pick up a half dozen stunts as the first thing.  Weird to me.

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
Being a mortal, not blowing all your refresh on stunts and being willing to compel like a mad man.  Fate points is what mortals do, and it always boggles my mind when I see someone play a pure mortal and pick up a half dozen stunts as the first thing.  Weird to me.

I think our pure mortal has 5 or 6 stunts, but that still leaves him a Refresh of 4 or 5 (8 base, +2 bonus), add in some easily compelled Aspects and he can easily get to 12 Fate before a big throwdown.  You can do both, Fate Point magnetic AND lots of stunts, which is really where Pure Mortals kick ass.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:36:18 AM »
Yeah, I don't see it that way.

For me, stunts are what mortals do.

The vast majority of people have no FP. But stunts are commonplace.