Author Topic: What Happens When A Fairie Reaches Positive Refresh?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline braincraft

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: What Happens When A Fairie Reaches Positive Refresh?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
You don't even have to decide right away. Even if you have her spend that refresh on new powers or stunts (yeah, stunts might even be more appropriate than powers), she might be on the road towards eventually gaining true free will, possibly as a function of some plot device which would lead to more adventures. If you think it's appropriate, she might even lose some powers, gaining the difference as refresh, to represent turning away from her old nature.

Or even if she gains some measure of free will, there's not necessarily anything stopping her from later deciding that she liked being a fae being better and blowing those points on some shiny new powers.

Even better: she starts getting some refresh, becoming more and more mortal as she grows closer to her new friends and family, but some crisis comes along and she needs more power; power which is available to her, if she only throws away her humanity and returns to being a wyldfae, or swears herself to the Summer (or Winter!) court. She saves the day, but loses the new life she fought so hard for.

Yeah, the right answer is whatever generates more hooks. Mo' refresh, mo' problems.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »
I'm thinking free will would be far more interesting from my point of view as a player or GM.

Excellent little series of plots right there in that description of that fae btw.

Yeah, it's your game, do as you will.

Though, you wouldn't have asked opinions if you had made up your mind.

Free will si a touchy subject in a GAME.  If a certain class/race can't have free will it cannot be played at least not with complete freedom to act.  i think any PC should have free will fae vampire or whatver...PC's are supposed to be exceptional and the game is their story.

In the case of notable/important NPC's I see no reason this cannot also apply.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »
I would definitely -NOT- alter the characters inability to lie or his/hers binding bargaining. At least, not if the NPC were to remain a faerie, as these things are central to their very being. Even changelings are not exempt from the Bane and binding through gift exchange, so how would a true Fae lose those things, which are quite essential to its very nature?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, or it can't be done, just that if it happens, the NPC would not be a Fae anymore... Perhaps some kind of free spirit, or it might even make him/her more akin to a demon or something. It would offer a load of interesting hooks, whatever you decide.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »
I was going to say Ronald McDonald  :-[
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?