Author Topic: Any place for fae Halfsies?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Unicorm

• Lurker
  • The fabric of reality twists to conform to me.
    • View Profile
Any place for fae Halfsies?
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:04:49 AM »
First new topic, and I have a couple of interesting questions.

1. Would a sidhe ever "get it on" enough with, say, a fetch, to produce a half-sidhe/half-fetch? Is anything similar possible?
2. Would such a creature be accepted and put to use in the Winter Court? (the character I'm working on is Unseelie)
3. Would it be possible, say through failed Black Court domination, to break the sponsored magic bond and Unseelie Pull? (one phase of my character's past involves some very feral behavior as a result of an attempted Black Court domination. Living in the woods eating squirrels...not his best moment.)
4. Would such a creature retain the form of racial powers he had before breaking the bond (in this case, transportation through mirrors and some wonky speed boosts for other reflective surfaces), while loosing Unseelie magic?

I'm trying to stay vague on the specific skills/stunts/powers, since until I have the opportunity to use a character I like to keep them vague and malleable.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:06:49 AM by Unicorm »

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Any place for fae Halfsies?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 05:25:55 AM »
Is this for a PC or an NPC? Because the rules are a bit different.

If it's for an NPC then the answer is sure, why the hell not?

If it's for a PC then personally I'd say put a little human descent in there and it works (I.E. a unicorn changeling "gets it on" with a fetch, or similar). Honestly that's just a personal preference though. I don't think fae are capable of choice in exactly the same way as a human, and thus I don't like pure fae PCs.

As for powers usually it's tough for a changeling to go backwards. Usually they gain power as they become more fae and the only way to go back is to permanently and completely pick their human side (losing all fae power). For full fae I don't think that any of them would ever be capable of breaking with their court unless it was by the will of someone higher (I.E. one of the queens traded you for something, but then you belong to them in the same way you belonged to the court).

A lot of this isn't necessarily backed up by anything, just the way I prefer it.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:34:08 AM »
Two points, just for clarification:

Sidhe is a special category *in addition* to whatever type of fae you already are.  So there are pixie sidhe, troll sidhe, unicorn sidhe, etc.  Some sidhe are so far beyond the base type of fae that they're hardly recognizable as fae at all (Lea, for example), but others are 'merely' stronger, better, nobler versions of the base creature.

Also, remember that Seelie Magic and Unseelie Magic require at least some degree of approval from one of the Queens to be used at all.  A changeling can always have their racial powers (e.g. strength for a troll's son), but they should only have Seelie/Unseelie magic if one of the Queens believe it could be to their court's advantage to allow the power to be used by that person.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:33:09 AM »
1. Sure, why not.
2. Maybe. It depends on a lot of things.
3. Probably not, unless plot.
4. I think so.

Offline Unicorm

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »
Two points, just for clarification:

Sidhe is a special category *in addition* to whatever type of fae you already are.  So there are pixie sidhe, troll sidhe, unicorn sidhe, etc.  Some sidhe are so far beyond the base type of fae that they're hardly recognizable as fae at all (Lea, for example), but others are 'merely' stronger, better, nobler versions of the base creature.

Also, remember that Seelie Magic and Unseelie Magic require at least some degree of approval from one of the Queens to be used at all.  A changeling can always have their racial powers (e.g. strength for a troll's son), but they should only have Seelie/Unseelie magic if one of the Queens believe it could be to their court's advantage to allow the power to be used by that person.

I thought Sidhe were a seperate fae race that was humanoid and human-sized, such as w/e Lea and, ofc, the queens are? Though I may be wrong, considering I haven't caught up with the books yet. If I AM wrong, what are they?

Also, thought I made it pretty clear he would lose Unseelie magic when the bond was broken.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
I thought Sidhe were a seperate fae race that was humanoid and human-sized, such as w/e Lea and, ofc, the queens are? Though I may be wrong, considering I haven't caught up with the books yet. If I AM wrong, what are they?

Also, thought I made it pretty clear he would lose Unseelie magic when the bond was broken.

Simply put: Sidhe are Faerie nobility. So, that's why you can have a Troll Sidhe or a Pixie Sidhe, et cetera.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
1) Anything is possible.
2) As much as any mongrel is...including human.  In other words, they'll certainly make use of the individual's power.  Status will probably have to be earned.
3) Could probably simply repudiate the sponsored magic (assuming free will).  Either way, breaking the bond means you don't have access to the power.
4) Sure - as long as they weren't part of the sponsored magic package.

In legend, they are a specific race.  As far as I can tell, that holds true in the books.

Simply put: Sidhe are Faerie nobility. So, that's why you can have a Troll Sidhe or a Pixie Sidhe, et cetera.
Haven't seen any troll or pixie sidhe in the fiction.  Also, the pixies at least don't object to being called "faery" as much as the sidhe do...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
Butcher has said that Sidhe = noble.  That it's a title or state of being that fairies reach.

Richard

Offline Unicorm

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
Butcher has said that Sidhe = noble.  That it's a title or state of being that fairies reach.

Richard

I think I understand. A fae can progress to the point they become a Sidhe, and they're fundamentally different from the rest of their race, while still being their race, correct?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »
More or less that - he hasn't gone into great detail.  Personally, I'm thinking it's a "Trolls have Troll-Lords" type thing but the author hasn't said one way or the other (at least not that I know of).

But he has said that Toot-Toot is able to become a sidhe, just as any fairy introduced at Toot-Toot's level.  He hasn't said if Toot-Toot will become that powerful or how it will change him.

Richard