Author Topic: The Answer(hopefully) to Who Fixed Little Chicago (FULL SPOILERS)  (Read 23096 times)

Offline BlahBlah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Answer(hopefully) to Who Fixed Little Chicago (FULL SPOILERS)
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »
I have also suggested that Mab fixed LC: 

"Mab would probably have the means to recognize the problem in LC.  Mab was motived to protect her future knight because she had assumed Lea's responsibilities in PG.  Finally, Mab had the opportunity to enter and exit Harry's apartment from the NN through Lea's garden."

The only other possibilities imo is Lash working with Id-Harry, else that Harry knew and helped it get fixed but suffered one of his peculiar blackouts and can't remember it.  Neither is nearly as plausible as Mab.

Great minds think alike AA!
Quote from: Griffyn612
My guesses are not educated, thank you.  >:( 

They're Logic School drop-outs, just hanging out in the rough parts of the boards, looking for trouble.  They look tough, but run at the first sign of reasoning or intellectual thought 8)

Offline tinygargoyle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2011, 11:48:32 PM »
I have two theories about this.
1) LC == Chicago proper, so it's possible that something happened in Chicago that affected it.
2) As Harry had put so much juice into it and effort in maintaining it, it has a ghost of it's own. lash, Bob and many others have mentioned that to see things outside of the flow in time he has to die. Now ghost Harry interacts with ghost LC now and this affects LC then.
"We are Grey, we stand between the darkness and the light"

Offline BlahBlah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 11:54:43 PM »
We don't, but I suggest you read Codex Alera.
(click to show/hide)

A continent, Chicago ain't.  LC =/= Alera by any stretch.

If Harry decides to recreate it on a grander scale, however, then all bets are off.

He has a gift for this ind of work, ala Bob.  And he has the workers to bring him the necessary ingredients, ala Wee Folk.  And he has the experience, ala LC.  

Little World, anyone?  Purely speculation, alas.
Quote from: Griffyn612
My guesses are not educated, thank you.  >:( 

They're Logic School drop-outs, just hanging out in the rough parts of the boards, looking for trouble.  They look tough, but run at the first sign of reasoning or intellectual thought 8)

Offline X

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 07:29:53 AM »
So I have had this thought festering in my head for the past little while, and while I doubt this theory, it gives us a discussion while we wait for Ghost Story.  Now among all the beings we know of with interest in Harry, we need to think of those with both the ability and desire to prevent Harry from frying his brain.  Of those, I submit the following:
Mab
Lasciel
Uriel
Ivy/The Archive

Okay, the easiest to eliminate from these beings is Uriel, because he is only allowed to interfere so much, and he gave Harry the ability to use Soulfire (presumably). If he did or did not is a discussion for another thread. So, strike Riel from the list of suspects.

The next suspect that I can eliminate us Ivy/ The Archive.  Why would Ivy wan to help Harry? Affection, knowledge of him being needed in the future? Who knows.  The ability to fix it would require an insane amount of power, which she has.  The reason for that is that she is completely neutral, and an arbiter of The Accords.  Thus, evn though Ivy would have the desire to help Harry, The Archive can presumably override Ivy, thus the suspect is eliminated.

Now I will try to eliminate Mab.  The reason why I doubt that Mab would fix it is not because of her desire to have Harry as her Knight, but rather why would she? She is Mab, to her, a simple human is nothing, and she could easily allow Harry to blow up his mind, fix him, then say he owes her.  Thus, it stands to reason that she could potentially benefit from Harry blowing up his mind.

Finally, that leaves Lasciel. This immortal being was bound in Harry's basement, less than ten feet from Little Chicago.  I realize that she was bound within several circles, but she is a Denerian, and if there is any being in the Dresdenverese that is allowed to cheat, it would be one of them.  This gives her the opportunity, and finally, the motive would be that a Fallen Angel must be voluntarily accepted by the mortal soul.  If Harry cannot function or freely make the choice choice.  If Harry is brain dead, then Lasciel can't take him over, furthermore, his death means that she is trapped for a pretty long time in the subbasement of a paranoid wizard with some pretty heavy wards protecting it. 

Thoughts?
Think of me like you would Homer Simpson with a Black "?" bag on his head, except with an X.  Obviously, instead of Mr. Anonymous, I'm Mr. X.  Except without the Mr.

Offline itari

• Conversationalist
  • lost and delirious
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:17 AM »
Now I will try to eliminate Mab.  The reason why I doubt that Mab would fix it is not because of her desire to have Harry as her Knight, but rather why would she? She is Mab, to her, a simple human is nothing, and she could easily allow Harry to blow up his mind, fix him, then say he owes her.  Thus, it stands to reason that she could potentially benefit from Harry blowing up his mind.
Well, if Harry had killed himself using a flawed model, he wouldn't have been useful to Mab. And don't forget that while Lea was encased in ice, Mab had to fulfill her obligations.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 09:23:20 AM »
Well, if Harry had killed himself using a flawed model, he wouldn't have been useful to Mab. And don't forget that while Lea was encased in ice, Mab had to fulfill her obligations.

Plus, as inexplicable as it is, we have Mab's literal word in Dead Beat, when she realizes that the Darkhallow is close to being cast, that she must do what she can to preserve Harry's life. I've pointed this out before in this thread, but I guess people don't really know what to make of it, since most people tend to completely overlook that instance of Mab's behavior.

The only thing I can think of that might reconcile her statement with the many, many times in which neither she nor Lea have appeared to save Harry or give him vital information is to guess that it may have something to do with their awareness of Harry's imminent peril. Maybe if they're aware of it, they have to do something about it, but if they aren't certain, they're off the hook.

If that guess should happen to be correct, then maybe Mab checked in on Harry while he was working on Little Chicago at some point, and noticed the flaw in the model. This could have forced her per Lea's bargain to do something to help.

Of course, the other reasons might have done just as well to motivate her. And regarding X's statement that Harry is just some mortal, so why bother saving him-- well, in that case, why bother weakening the Winter Court by keeping Slate nailed to a tree for ten years, or close to it? If Mab was willing to make an effort to acquire Harry which could be felt and noticed by everyone in Faerie, then popping over to tweak Harry's model when no one was looking seems like a ridiculously small step to take by comparison.

ETA: ...in fact, now that I think about it, Mab's behavior toward Harry is so eye-catching that I kind of wonder if it might not be a distraction of some kind. But... nah.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:26:57 AM by AcornArmy »
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »
Plus, as inexplicable as it is, we have Mab's literal word in Dead Beat, when she realizes that the Darkhallow is close to being cast, that she must do what she can to preserve Harry's life. I've pointed this out before in this thread, but I guess people don't really know what to make of it, since most people tend to completely overlook that instance of Mab's behavior.

The only thing I can think of that might reconcile her statement with the many, many times in which neither she nor Lea have appeared to save Harry or give him vital information is to guess that it may have something to do with their awareness of Harry's imminent peril. Maybe if they're aware of it, they have to do something about it, but if they aren't certain, they're off the hook.

I'm inclined to think Mab is not just aware of any time Harry is in peril,  she's aware of it with enough accuracy to know whether it needs her intervention or not; up to the very end of Changes, he gets through all those times, so her intervention arguably was not needed in any of them.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
I'm inclined to think Mab is not just aware of any time Harry is in peril,  she's aware of it with enough accuracy to know whether it needs her intervention or not; up to the very end of Changes, he gets through all those times, so her intervention arguably was not needed in any of them.

Then her surprise over the Word of Kemmler and the necromancers would've had to have been feigned, in Dead Beat. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see why she would bother with such a minor deception-- unless the point was to prevent Harry from understanding how intense her scrutiny of him was.

I don't know, I tend to distrust theories which require deceptions to be several layers deep, on the principle that it's too big a pain in the ass for most sane people to want to deal with, including writers.

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2011, 09:11:31 PM »
Not if viewed in the same way as the Gatekeeper and Harry on Demonreach.  If Mab could keep tract of the most likely outcome then she'd know her help wasn't needed.  But if the Word was shielded in some way, which doesn't seem a stretch given the players involved, then things would have changed rapidly.  Just like when the Gatekeeper changed his opinion when Harry stepped onto the island instead of the dock. 

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:15 PM »
Then her surprise over the Word of Kemmler and the necromancers would've had to have been feigned, in Dead Beat.

I don't think that's feigned; I think it's the first sin of her incipient insanity/possession by an Outsider.

I don't know, I tend to distrust theories which require deceptions to be several layers deep, on the principle that it's too big a pain in the ass for most sane people to want to deal with, including writers.

There seems to be an audience for it, though. Anthony Price and Dorothy Dunnett come to mind, both of whom sold rather well when they were active.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:35 PM »
Not if viewed in the same way as the Gatekeeper and Harry on Demonreach.  If Mab could keep tract of the most likely outcome then she'd know her help wasn't needed.  But if the Word was shielded in some way, which doesn't seem a stretch given the players involved, then things would have changed rapidly.  Just like when the Gatekeeper changed his opinion when Harry stepped onto the island instead of the dock. 

That's a good point. The perceivable future could have rapidly opened up into new, and likely, possibilities while Mab was standing there talking to Harry.

Offline RenDarkz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »
Personally i think Lash repaired little Chicago by moving her soul into it, so LC=Lash's new body, so in effect LC is now sentient and as such escaped the buildings destruction by moving itself away from the building. just a thought :D

but on another note i do think LC survived his apartment being destroyed even if only because someone stole it somehow or the same person who "repaired" it built in a teleport or shielding feature to protect harry's creation from destruction.

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2011, 02:34:41 AM »
Personally i think Lash repaired little Chicago by moving her soul into it, so LC=Lash's new body, so in effect LC is now sentient and as such escaped the buildings destruction by moving itself away from the building. just a thought :D

but on another note i do think LC survived his apartment being destroyed even if only because someone stole it somehow or the same person who "repaired" it built in a teleport or shielding feature to protect harry's creation from destruction.

We have WoJ that it was destroyed.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2011, 04:30:23 AM »
Unless, of course, Harry himself did it.

After having read the GS sample chapters, I am taking another look at this theory.
(click to show/hide)
This is not a strong theory yet but it looks more interesting to me than it did before the sample chapters.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline RenDarkz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »
We have WoJ that it was destroyed.
one can dream one can dream. I'll miss you sentient LC.