Author Topic: Meet the cast.  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
Meet the cast.
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:42:48 PM »
As I'm ramping up for my own game, I figure I'll share various people and beasties I come up with for the curious and/or those looking for ideas or drop-ins for their games. Not sure how often I'll update this, but hey, when I'm feeling plucky, something new might pop up.

So here's the first entry, a supporting cast member for my game. Meet Kwan.

Name: Kwan

Template: Focused Practitioner (pg. 76)

Musts: Channeling and/or Ritual (minimum refresh -2)

High Concept: Shaolin Kung Fu Mystic

Trouble: Strive for Enlightenment

Phase One: Last of His Line - Kwan was a foundling raised at the Shaolin temple at Song Shan. Who his parents and lineage are is unknown to him, and he was raised by the monks of the temple. He was raised in the Chan Buddhist religion, and it defines his life.

Phase Two: My Kung Fu is Strong - As a monk of the Song Shan temple, he learned Xingyiquan martial arts and Buddhist philosophy. When his ability to manipulate mystic power (or Qi made manifest as the monks see it) arose, he was trained in the deeper secret arts of kung fu mysticism. He was trained to master the Heng form of Xingyiquan to synchronize his Qi with the Qi of the earth itself.

Phase Three: Stranger in a Strange Land - When Brother Wang (see Blood Rites), who has connections with the Song Shan temple, delivered some of the temple dogs to Kwan's monastery, demonic trouble was close on his heels. Kwan stood with his brothers and defeated the demons, but Brother Wang was wounded, and all but one of the dogs was killed in the defense. Ritual communion with the surviving dog led his temple to discover that one dog remained with the Wizard Harry Dresden. Kwan was sent to the United States to seek to understanding of its intentions.

Phase four and five left incomplete for purposes of our game.

Power Level: Chest Deep

Skills: Cap = Superb : Points 30/30

+5 Fists, Weapons
+4 Athletics, Endurance
+3 Discipline, Conviction
+2 Alertness, Might
+1 Scholarship, Lore

Powers and Stunts:

-2 Channeling (Earth) (pg. 181)
-1 Killer Blow (pg. 152)
-1 Martial Artist (pg. 152)
-1 Lethal Weapons (pg. 152)
-1 Redirected Force (pg. 152)
-1 Step Into the Blow (pg. 152)

Base Refresh 8 - Refresh Adjustment 7 = Adjusted Refresh 1

Focus Items:

Bō (+1 offense control, earth)
Tattoos (+1 defense control, earth)

Stress:

Physical OOOO : Mental OOOO : Social OO
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
Re: Meet the cast.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »
I've been watching the entire Buffy the Vampire Slayer series on Netflix lately, so in that spirit, here is a post-movie, pre-Sunnydale Buffy:

Name: Buffy Summers

Template: Emissary of Power (pg. 75)

Musts: Marked by Power (minimum refresh -1)

High Concept: The Slayer

Trouble: I’m Just a Kid

Phase One: I Didn’t Ask for This Destiny – Buffy was the stereotypical cheerleader at Hemery High School in Los Angeles. She is a carefree popular girl whose main concerns are shopping and spending time with her friends. While at school one day, she is approached by a man named Merrick Jamison-Smythe. He informs her that she is The Slayer, or chosen one, and he is a Watcher whose duty it is to guide and train her. She initially refuses to believe his claims, but becomes convinced when he is able to describe a recurring dream of hers in great detail (tied to Cassandra’s Tears).

Phase Two: With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility - Over the course of her training she becomes friends with Oliver Pike, whose best friend has recently become a vampire. Oliver becomes the male equivalent of the traditional "damsel in distress", being rescued by Buffy or Merrick on several occasions. However, their relationship gradually becomes romantic and Oliver becomes her partner in fighting the undead.

Phase Three: The Right Stuff - After several successful outings, Buffy is drawn into conflict with a local vampire king named Lothos, who has killed a number of past Slayers. Lothos eventually kills Merrick as well, giving her the motivation she needs to face him in battle. They eventually clash during the middle of the senior dance at Buffy's high school. Through the use of her own unconventional methods, she is able to defeat Lothos and his minions.

Phase four and five left incomplete to reflect this being a pre-Sunnydale Buffy, though once she moves to Sunnydale the possible additional aspects could be I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends, and Star-crossed Lovers as she gets to know the “Scooby Gang” and falls for Angel. Possibly also Problem Child as her duties and habits tend to get her in trouble with the authorities, her friends, and her mother. Another option is I Live on the Hellmouth, since, well, she does.

Power Level: Submerged

Skills: Cap = Superb : Points 35/35

+5 Fists, Weapons
+4 Athletics, Endurance
+3 Alertness, Might
+2 Intimidation, Conviction
+1 Scholarship, Lore, Investigation, Empathy, Rapport, Deceit, Presence

Powers and Stunts:

-1 Redirected Force (pg. 152)
-1 Step Into the Blow (pg. 152)
-1 Marked by Power (pg. 169)
-0 Cassandra’s Tears (pg. 172)
-4 Supernatural Strength (pg. 183)
-2 Inhuman Recovery (pg. 185)
-2 Inhuman Toughness (pg. 185)
+2 The Catch - Mind affecting attacks lower her defenses (pg. 185)

Base Refresh 10 - Refresh Adjustment 9 = Adjusted Refresh 1

Stress:

Physical OOOO(OO) : Mental OOO : Social OOO : Armor +1
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 03:30:29 AM »
Have you considered posting these to the Spare Character Concepts thread?

Or maybe the Extraordinary NPCs thread?

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:40:31 AM »
Have you considered posting these to the Spare Character Concepts thread?

Or maybe the Extraordinary NPCs thread?

Don't see the second one, but I do see the first. I might do that.

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:05:09 AM »
I've been fleshing out our locations, and came across these pictures of one of our local churches that will be featured in our game:

Our Lady of Perpetual Help

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thejulianfamily/2969432432/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thejulianfamily/2697668857/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3422082.0.html

That last one is my favorite.