Author Topic: A Thought On Healing Magic  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A Thought On Healing Magic
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 09:07:45 AM »
So would I be correct in saying the general consensus is that using magic to accelerate Recovery from a consequence is, at best, contraversial, but the idea that magic could be used to alter the nature of a consequence without actually affecting the rate of Recovery pretty much is well within the spirit of the rules?
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 10:26:41 AM »
That's probably a fair judgement considering what everyone has had to say. As far as I'm concerned it's RAW since it's in the spells though.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
Don't forget Elaine's Reiki Healing spell.  Costs 4 shifts plus a number of shifts equal to the consequence it's healing and has it heal as if one consequence lighter.  Not bad considering you can take a moderate consequence and have it heal a scene later.  I think magical healing is effective as it stands.

Well, it'd basically mean that that moderate consequence would heal in two scenes (one to cast spell, one to heal) rather than a session.  Still a good trade off. 

The way I look at it, mild consequences can be cleared away for complexity 6.  Moderate can be reduced to mild for complexity 8.  Severe can be reduced to moderate for complexity 10.  Extreme cannot be reduced in this fashion. 

I wouldn't allow subsequent rituals to reduce it further, but I may allow rituals to be combined to do so (so complexity 18 to reduce severe to mild).  I would never allow anything more than a mild to be cleared away. 

And, really, clearing away a mild consequence is really only useful if you have Seelie Magic or something that allows Biomancy at evocation's methods and speed as the scene it takes to cast the spell would be enough to get rid of it anyway. 

I may allow an extreme to be reduced, but only with enough shifts to take a target out PLUS 12.  So, on average, you're looking at 16+12 shifts (the Extreme consequence is already filled) to reduce it to recovering as a Severe consequence.