Author Topic: Gard's Rune Magic?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Gard's Rune Magic?
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:54:10 PM »
Is there Rune Magic covered in the books in a sidebar I can't find, or has it been discussed here?

I'm curious how rules for that work. Since it seems to be Massive potion-style magic item usage.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Gard's Rune Magic?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
I'm was going to mess with it a bit in a con game I'm running. I was going to treating it as Ritual Crafting with two refinements for extra item slots built in and just leave most of them open. Then make declarations to see if you had the necessary rune available to use spells not prepared ahead of time. Eventually, I decided to go another route with the character's role in the scenario.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
Is there Rune Magic covered in the books in a sidebar I can't find, or has it been discussed here?

I'm curious how rules for that work. Since it seems to be Massive potion-style magic item usage.

It's basically just Enchanted items and Potions, described as either Rune-Inscribed Items, or those little rune tiles.

There is a Sponsored magic writeup in the Custom Powers Thread on the Resources Board.

here it is:
Rune Magic [-4]: Standard Sponsor Benefits, 12 Rune Item Slots (equivalent of Enchanted Item Slots) if paying at -4 (If given a cost discount for Evocation or Thaumaturgy, it loses four Rune Item Slots for each point). These slots can be used to emulate any Evocation or Thaumaturgy effect, but may only be used for Rune Magic Items or Consumable Runes (although Enchanted Item Slots may also to pay for Rune Magic Items or Consumable Runes). A Rune Magic Item works and functions the same as an Enchanted Item (pre-prepared items) and a Consumable Rune works and functions the same as Potions or other Consumables (one-use runes). No channeling (all magical effects are done by using the Rune Item Slots). Others may use Rune Magic Items without using an extra slot to make it usable by others.

Rune Item Slot = Enchanted Item Slot
Rune Magic Item = Enchanted Item
Consumable Runes = Potions/Consumables

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
Personally, I would model it in a way very similar to Tsunami's, but with some key differences.

I'd allow for crafting with evocations methods and speeds.  I would also note that debt can only be incurred when making consumable runes (like brewing potions).  I would reduce the cost to -3 and only grant 8 rune item slots (which can be boosted with Refinement) due to the fact that this is essentially just Ritual with some extra sponsored benefits. 

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »
I think you should be able to take on debt instead of taking stress for additional uses of enchanted items too.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
Personally, I would model it in a way very similar to Tsunami's, but with some key differences.

I'd allow for crafting with evocations methods and speeds.  I would also note that debt can only be incurred when making consumable runes (like brewing potions).  I would reduce the cost to -3 and only grant 8 rune item slots (which can be boosted with Refinement) due to the fact that this is essentially just Ritual with some extra sponsored benefits. 

Crafting at evocation speed ? That make no sense to me.
If you want to use a Consumable rune you can simply declare it, just like a normal potion. And strengthen it by using sponsor debt.
And there is no indication that rune magic allows for the ability to instantly create more permanent enchanted items.

As for restricting sponsor debt to consumables. I think it's unecessary.
Invoking or tagging aspects doesn't affect crafting of normal enchanted items, or rune items in this case. So Sponsor debt doesn't apply to begin with. Since Sponsor debt is basically an aspect invoke on credit.

As for the Cost reduction: Yeah, that would work. It's basically just getting rid of an integrated refinement.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »
I know a lot of people act like it is just Ritual: Crafting, but remember she makes wards and the like.  It probably can cover most aspects of Thaumaturgy.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »
I know a lot of people act like it is just Ritual: Crafting, but remember she makes wards and the like.  It probably can cover most aspects of Thaumaturgy.

(Primary creator of the above Rune Magic writeup) Hence the reason it can "emulate any Evocation or Thaumaturgy effect," if I could update the writeup in one way it might let you make the large scale wards (like Marcone's manor) without spending your slots. I don't think that would be a big change to the power, I know in my experience I don't see wards get used very much... Though I'm not quite sure how that would effect the creation of the Living Lightning ward/trap (in Small Favor).

Other changes I may consider would be a +1 bonus to crafting strength or frequency (or both) to reflect the imbued knowledge of how to create runes. Again, not quite sure how that might effect the base cost of the power. Of course some of these changes/updates might be covered by the minimum -3 cost of the power (since Evocation does not give a rebate).
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
(Primary creator of the above Rune Magic writeup) Hence the reason it can "emulate any Evocation or Thaumaturgy effect," if I could update the writeup in one way it might let you make the large scale wards (like Marcone's manor) without spending your slots. I don't think that would be a big change to the power, I know in my experience I don't see wards get used very much... Though I'm not quite sure how that would effect the creation of the Living Lightning ward/trap (in Small Favor).

Other changes I may consider would be a +1 bonus to crafting strength or frequency (or both) to reflect the imbued knowledge of how to create runes. Again, not quite sure how that might effect the base cost of the power. Of course some of these changes/updates might be covered by the minimum -3 cost of the power (since Evocation does not give a rebate).

Yeah, the fact she Wards large areas is why I'd say it is really just Thaumaturgy + Benefits.  It uses a different system of thought than what Dresden was taught, of course, so the props are different.  Of course, props literally are just props in the Dresdenverse.  Honestly, I found the whole idea of her Rune Magic being sponsored a bit odd in itself.  Thaumaturgy + Crafting Strength Specialization + 4-8 more Item Slots seems to get the job done that we see in the books just perfectly at 4 to 5 refresh.  I do agree that we don't see any evidence of there being evocation though (beyond evocation via an enchanted item that works like a potion or a ward or the like).

Living Lightning Ward is just a complicated Thaumaturgical ward, really.  Seems to be a one-shot trap with has the flavor of looking really cool.  Honestly, we don't get much more than that from the description in the book.  Now, admittedly, she doesn't show any sign of ever doing summoning or conjuring.  It is possible she can and possible she can't.  I suppose one could right it up as her just having Wards, Divination (huge lore for that culture so I think you have to leave it in), and enchanted items, with 16 or so slots, and +1 or +2 power at 4 or so refresh.

Now, one thing that is pretty cool is that she could easily make a powerful ward pretty quickly.  If her enchanted item strength is 6 for instance, she can make runes that give her two maneuvers that she could then tag for a ritual.  So let's say she is making a Living Lightning Ward.  Let's say her Lore is 5, then she spends 4 slots in preparation for that.  She could then spend half of her aspects on gathering power and half on the strength of the ritual, and gain +2 power each turn and a total complexity of 13 without ANY research.  A little bit more work and she could easily get to complexity 20.  Taking a bit more time and only uses aspects when necessary to not get backlash and she could pretty easily bump up that 13 to 17 or s without any research.  Taking a whole day just to ward a place would easily let her make a 30 shift or greater ward.  Someone like this can do a lot of powerful thaumaturgy without as much work as other characters.

Personally, my scholarly Son of Thor character just has Thaumaturgy and uses runes instead of potions.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
Yeah, the fact she Wards large areas is why I'd say it is really just Thaumaturgy + Benefits.  It uses a different system of thought than what Dresden was taught, of course, so the props are different.  Of course, props literally are just props in the Dresdenverse.  Honestly, I found the whole idea of her Rune Magic being sponsored a bit odd in itself.  Thaumaturgy + Crafting Strength Specialization + 4-8 more Item Slots seems to get the job done that we see in the books just perfectly at 4 to 5 refresh.  I do agree that we don't see any evidence of there being evocation though (beyond evocation via an enchanted item that works like a potion or a ward or the like).
Agreed.  Personal opinion is she has Thaumaturgy with specialties in Runes, Weather, and Wards.  (Or similar areas.)  Refinements in those as appropriate.  The rest is just trappings. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer