Author Topic: Item Of Power Master List  (Read 63347 times)

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Item Of Power Master List
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »
Before you forget what?  ???

Eh. The fluff is flexible. And i can see some of the problems, now. Changing it to a flat control roll bonus.

Oh, and on a secondary note, thinking about Gunnerkrigg Court in the context of the DFRPG is interesting. Reynardine is easily stattable, Ysengrin is weird, and Coyote is a heavyweight.

(Jones is not a robot.)

Yeah, that would probably be for the best.

Never read Gunnerkrigg Court, so this's probably all I can do for you.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »
Before I forget to add that item to this thread.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »
Just now seeing this thread. Here are some of my own creation:

BAT OF THE BAMBINO [-2]
Description: This is one of the bats that George Herman Ruth, Jr. used to break one of his many records with the New York Yankees.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Skills Affected: Weapons, Conviction
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is: It is a nice sturdy wooden bat. It was made to hit things. Weapon 2
[-0] Unbreakable: As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except when hitting Bambino’s Shutout Baseball. Side note: If the two are together for any amount of time they will repair themselves.
[+ 2] One-Time Discount: It is a baseball bat; it is hard to conceal.
[- 2] Inhuman Strength: While swinging this bat, wielders gain Inhuman Strength.
[-1] True Aim: When swung in keeping with its purpose, the Bat of the Bambino grants a +1 bonus to the wielder’s Weapons skill.
[-1] Guide My Hand: Spend a fate point to guide the bat to hit its true target

BAMBINO’S SHUTOUT BASEBALL [-2]
Description: This is one of the baseballs that George Herman Ruth Jr. used in his 9 game shutout pitching career with the Boston Red Sox.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is: It is an old and weathered baseball. It was made to be thrown.
[-0] Unbreakable: As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except if hit by Bat of the Bambino. Side note: If the two are together for any amount of time they will repair themselves.
[+1] One-Time Discount: It is a baseball; it can easily be slipped into a pocket
[-2] Ability: When the wielder throws the ball they are granted Inhuman Strength to put behind the throw.
[-2] Swift Transition: As a special ability the Thrower may cause the ball to apparently blink through space, when it reality it is traveling through the Never-Never.
[+1] Mortal Compatriot: Bambino’s Shutout Ball wants to be with Bat of the Bambino. Whenever the Thrower uses the Swift Transition ability they must make a discipline roll to keep the ball from seeking its compatriot.

SOUL RENDER [-Varies (Min -1)]
Description: A pair of gauntlets that appear demonic though one is red and the other is blue. They feel like they weigh nothing to the wearer, created by Nikola Tesla.
Skills Affected: Fists
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is: It is a pair of glowing gauntlets, one red, one blue, grants Weapon 1 to Fists.
[-0] Unbreakable: As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[-0] Till Death do us Part: The person who puts the gloves on cannot take them off until he dies, no matter what! (This includes if his hand or arm gets severed. They stay attached to the hand until the user dies.)
[+2] One-Time Discount: They are glowing gauntlets that can’t be removed, hard not to notice.
[- Varies] Mimic Ability: Wearers lose an amount of cost that they choose (minimum of 4), these become his Mimic Points.
[+1] Designated User: While the wearer of these gauntlets can take abilities from others, he can’t actually use them; instead he is able to transfer them to others, acting as an intermediary of sorts.

MESINGW’S SPIRIT STAFF [-1]
Description: A staff that used by the spirit Mesingw to communicate to the people of the Lenape Native American tribe
Skills Affected: *Conviction*
Effects:
[-0] Purpose: The staff may only be wielded by someone with a deep love of nature. If the staff is ever used in a way adverse to its purpose it will overpower the wielder and change them into an animal form.
[-0] It Is What It Is: It is a five foot tall staff with a turtle shell rattle on the end.
[-0] Unbreakable: As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount: It is a large staff that rattles; it’s hard to keep hidden.
[-2] Telepathy: Holders of the staff gain telepathy as a form of communication.
[-1] Soulgaze: Holders of the staff also gain soulgaze; however the soulgaze they get only works on animals, instead of the normal human only soulgaze.

NYC SUBWAY TOKEN [-3]
Description: It is a small token used to access the New York City subway.
Skills Affected: Athletics, Discipline
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is: A small token used to access the New York City Subway System, the first one ever made.
[-0] Unbreakable: As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken.
[-0] Spark of Knowledge: When someone picks up the token, they get a small electric discharge. When this happens they immediately know what the token is and what it allows them to do. (This may cause mental stress if they are not “clued-in”)
[+1] One-Time Discount: It is a small token, no larger than a quarter, very easy to hide.
[- 4] Supernatural Speed: Having the coin on your person grants the user supernatural speed and all the effects that go along with it.
[+2] Speed Trap: The only place that this coin works is inside the subway system; anywhere else and it is just a NYC Subway Token.
[-8] Physical Immunity: While traveling through the subway you are immune.
[+6] The Catch: The physical immunity is only applicable to electricity, and only works in the subway of NYC.

FAIRY COURT KNIGHT SWORD [-1]
Description: A Sword wielded by the knight of a Fairy Court
Skills Affected:
Effects:
[-0] Purpose: The staff can only be wielded by a knight of a court. If anyone who is not a knight tries to wield the sword, it will return to its designated realm.
[-0] It Is What It Is: It is a long sword, it grants weapon 2 when used as such (Catch modified as applicable).
[+2] One-Time Discount: It is a large sword; it’s hard to keep hidden.
[-2] Breath Weapon: Depending on the sword, it can shoot a weapon in congruence with its nature.
[-2] World Walker: Holders of the sword are able to open portals with it at any time to enter their respective realm.
[+1] No Mortal Home: The sword wants to be in its own realm. Holders must follow the rules as is stated by this fact, however they can choose to either go with the sword or let the sword go on its own if they fail.

All were created in my first days of discovering this game and without knowing about the custom powers list. Input would be appreciated. I also understand that some of the powers used are outdated.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2013, 10:21:27 PM »
Huh, neat.

But there some issues.

Guide My Hand can't be used for attacks. And it's unlikely that the bat's holder will have Conviction > Weapons anyway.

Strength that only works for throwing a ball isn't worth full cost. Swift Transition doesn't let you send weapons through the Nevernever, it lets you travel personally.

Till Death Do Us Part seems to defeat the purpose of the IoP Power, and I'm not sure how the Power lending is supposed to work.

The Staff and the Token look fine.

The sword should probably be weapon 3. Also Breath Weapon is pretty weird on an item. And No Mortal Home is for Swift Transition, not for Worldwalker.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
I think when I was making the item i didnt fully read what Guide my hand actually did. The effect is basically to make a definite connection with its target but that seems like an odd effect. I think I was trying to make it like the SoTC's ATaEBG thing but meh.

Not having full cost makes sence. The swift transition thing isnt something that it grants the user its something that the ball inherently has, which is why it does what it does. Though that may be streaching the rules of the game.

Till Death Do Us Part sort of does defeat the IoP power purpose, however the player would be unable to use it if his hands were cut off. Just his hands wont come out of the item. Not that it really matters he cant use the power for himself. The power lending works by forcibly taking a power from someone else and giving it to someone else who will willingly accept it.

I think the sword was supposed to have had swift transition to be honest.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:46:47 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »
Using Swift Transition like that doesn't stretch the rules, it ignores them completely.

Being able to lose your Powers through mutilation isn't a weakness. More or less all Claws work like that.

Still don't understand the power-lending.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
Right. Which is why im saying it doesnt work.

Yea but I could easily implant any IoP (well maybe not any) into my skin or swallow it kind of like the denarians do with their coins.

Sorry then. I dont really know how else to explain it

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »
Incorporating Items of Power into your body to make them un-lose-able is pretty sketchy...it basically removes the rationale for the IoP rebate.

Might be technically rules-valid, but if so that really shouldn't be used as precedent for determining what the rules should do.

Personally, I'd rather avoid the entire issue by using Item Limitation.

As for the power-stealing, I don't think I made the things I was confused about clear enough. Here, lemme try again:

-How do you steal Powers from people? Do you have to rend their soul, as the name implies?
-What happens to people whose Powers are stolen? You'd think they'd lose those Powers, but Mimic Abilities doesn't normally work like that.
-How do you lend out Powers? Do you just touch the lend-ee?
-How long do lent Powers last? Can you make them disappear at will?
-If you steal the maximum Refresh total of Powers and lend them out, can you steal more? Because it seems like maybe you can, but that's pretty broken.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
Yea but I could easily implant any IoP (well maybe not any) into my skin or swallow it kind of like the denarians do with their coins.

Denarian coins are explicitly not Items of Power for basically this reason (well, mostly because you can magically call them)...they can't be readily taken away, so they don't count.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2013, 05:19:53 AM »
Incorporating Items of Power into your body to make them un-lose-able is pretty sketchy...it basically removes the rationale for the IoP rebate.

Yea it really doesn't bother me enough to argue for it. Was just an idea

As for the power-stealing, I don't think I made the things I was confused about clear enough. Here, lemme try again:

-How do you steal Powers from people? Do you have to rend their soul, as the name implies?
-What happens to people whose Powers are stolen? You'd think they'd lose those Powers, but Mimic Abilities doesn't normally work like that.
-How do you lend out Powers? Do you just touch the lend-ee?
-How long do lent Powers last? Can you make them disappear at will?
-If you steal the maximum Refresh total of Powers and lend them out, can you steal more? Because it seems like maybe you can, but that's pretty broken.

What my thought for them to actually rend their souls. When I play tested I had the character actually getting tics or mannerisms from people he stole powers from. Stealing a power requires basically a battle where the person has to have the glove on either the brain or heart. The person who has power stolen has it stolen. You don't actually lend powers out, you give them to the next person, this freeing up your refresh. I had an issue where losing the battle wasn't consequential enough so I made it so that you could get negative traits and possibly even aspects. But that's why I put it here, to get opinions.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2013, 06:25:33 AM »
Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Kill something and you can hand out all of its Powers to your mates. That could easily be 20 Refresh from a single fight. Obviously overpowered.

Unless the recipients actually have to pay for the abilities?

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2013, 06:46:18 AM »
It would be per fae deals possibly. The recipient can't take it from the guy holding the gauntlets. There may need to be a restriction that the power dissipates back to its original owner when the gloves are removed if the power is still in it.s The character that inspire this item was a power broker. He would buy (or steal) powers then sell them or trade them for favors.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
I was actually working on a similar power a while back - basically, you had to maneuver a certain aspect onto your target, then you had to keep it on them until they die. The aspect in question was also an empowered circle, so it wasn't as hard as it seemed, but even so. When you finally killed them, you incidentally destroy their soul/essence/whatever, meaning if they were immortal they could no longer reincarnate (Note: I wrote this long before Cold Days, and before I learned how the Dragonborn in Skyrim worked).

Anyway, for every consequence that you inflicted on the target while the aspect was on it, you gained a Shadow Point. Basically, a Fate Point, but you could only spend it on temporary powers. In addition, you could only spend it on powers your previous victims had, so, for example, if no one you killed through this method had Mythic Strength you couldn't get it, either. This also had the benefit that if you maneuvered the aspect onto someone and then they died without taking consequences, you would at least gain access to their abilties. I priced it as a [-1] upgrade to a Sponsored Magic power based off Soulfire.

So, what do you think?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
I dunno, maybe it could work. Seems exploitable to me though. I'd worry about including it in one of my games.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
I dunno, maybe it could work. Seems exploitable to me though. I'd worry about including it in one of my games.

My thoughts when writing it up was still greatly influenced by Mage and Exalted - basically, I wanted a way for a character to potentially be immensely powerful and do almost anything - but not simply by sitting back and pressing an I Win button, and most certainly not without major ramifications. Worst come to worst, there was an inbuilt GM limiter - only the GM decides how many consequences a particular enemy has, and concession is still a possibility. Which raises problems on it's own, yes, but GMs always have the option of screwing players over anyway.

Besides the potential for abuse, any other specific criticisms?

Anyway, assuming that this power goes as I mentioned, what cost would you say was fair?