Author Topic: Fictional curse words  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Fictional curse words
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »
One of the things that I love about Jim's writing is that he creates very colorful language for his characters that one does not see in the real world, especially with oaths, curses, and so one.

Known DV curses: Stars and Stones, Hells Bells (is a real saying but rarely used where I live), Empty Night.
Known CA curses: Anything involving Crows.

I was wondering if any of you have come up with your own unique curses or caloqeal terms, and if you have what process's did you use to come up with them.

So far I have for my SciFi novel: Stone Hearted as a term of praise, Soft Soul  as a insult
Fantasy Novel: still working on it.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Fictional curse words
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »
I have a post apocalyptic YA 1000 years after a meteor shower.  Lots of fun words I use with that. You can imagine. LOL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
So far I have two variants that I'm using:

Curses based on the old middle ages way of doing it. RL example: Zounds was a resut of  swearing "by God's wounds", so I've used a few similar instances using diety names and known afflications, parts of the canon, etc.

Curses based on ancestor worship ... sort of. Examples: by my uncle's beard, and so on.

Keeping in mind that curses actaully developed as sworn oaths ... hence swearing = cursing.

*shrug* best I can do so far.

But what I could really use are some suitable substitutes for modern day "cuss words".

It seems hugely incongruous to use the acronym of "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge", althogh I have done so, twice, because it just fit the situation perfectly.

But I'd really raher use someting else.

I have one idea, but can't figure out how to slip in the defintion so it makes sense to the reader, without hitting them over the head with it.

Offline Nicodemus Carpenter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:40:26 AM »
Using "made-up" words and terminology in any context is a delicate balance, and all the more so when it comes to invective. Generally these moments in your story will come when a character wants to emphasize his/her seriousness.  These key scenes will either make or break the immersion for many readers.  One mistep and you'll find yourself landing in either hopeless melodrama or unintentional hilarity.

Joe abercrombie has a pretty good post on the subject of swearing which can be found here:
http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2007/09/23/zounds-swearing-in-fantasy-2/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:44:40 AM by Nicodemus Carpenter »
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
From what Ive seen it tends to go one of three ways:

Made up words:  Frak, Frell, Dren, Gorram, etc.   These need to be similar enough to common curse words that the reader gets what you are hinting at, without pissing off any censors/editors involved.  Not bad but it is rather obvious by nature, which is why you typically only see it with censorship pressures.

Cultural:  Great Furies, Merlin's Beard, Empty Night, By the First Egg, In the Name of Zeus's Butthole, By the Blood Tears of Lisen, etc.  This type of swearing makes sense only within the context of the story itself.  Its predicated on the idea that swear by things important to the culture, usually from whatever passed for myth or legend. 

Local/idiomatic:  Crow-begotten, thrice-damned, two faced son of a <insert insulting comparison here>,  etc.  These are your general curses that could basically work in the real world too, if something made them popular enough.  Crow-begotten was common in Alera because of the cultural awareness of crows and war, but the reader doesn't really need to know anything about the story or setting to get the point. 

Not sure that really helps, but its the two cents I have on me right now
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
smeg
shazbot
shapoopy

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:29 AM »
I seem to remember the word "Shells" being shouted out in McCaffery's Dragon books as an in culture reference to the dragon eggs. It seemed to fit and not throw you out of the books.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Linnemir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 12:33:13 AM »
One of the things that I love about Jim's writing is that he creates very colorful language for his characters that one does not see in the real world, especially with oaths, curses, and so one.

Known DV curses: Stars and Stones, Hells Bells (is a real saying but rarely used where I live), Empty Night.
Known CA curses: Anything involving Crows.

I was wondering if any of you have come up with your own unique curses or caloqeal terms, and if you have what process's did you use to come up with them.

So far I have for my SciFi novel: Stone Hearted as a term of praise, Soft Soul  as a insult
Fantasy Novel: still working on it.

Odd, what people are familiar with - I grew up hearing "Hell's bells and Belezebub's bottom" ... My dad was very fond of just "Hell's bells!"
A mind is a terrible thing to lose ... now, where the heck did I leave mine?

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:53:12 AM »
Hell's bells was a staple at our house as well!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
I seem to remember the word "Shells" being shouted out in McCaffery's Dragon books as an in culture reference to the dragon eggs. It seemed to fit and not throw you out of the books.
Indeed it was.   By the First Egg came from there as well.  :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
I had a character who, in place of blood, had a more concentrated force of "consciousness" flowing through her veins- liquid memory.

Her curse was, appropriately, "ashes of blood". It generally came out of her mouth whenever she was shocked, upset, or frustrated.
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »
Very Red Lantern.   I approve  :D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:39:06 PM »
smeg

I like this one! I'll adapt it to smegaloon!   >-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »
From the Erevis Cale Trilogy: "Dark. Dark and empty!"

Empty by itself was an insult, too: "You're empty, shade. Broken."
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 02:19:45 AM »
Think about your cultural context.  Even in the real-world, the relative emotional intensity of curse-words sexual, excremental or blasphemous varies widely and can tell you quite a bit about a setting.

In the space-opera I want to be working on, the most common things to swear by in common parlance (given that I'm not dealing with a particularly religious character and the idea of sexual swear-words would make the central characters look at you funny and dig out their college anthropology texts) are "Absent Earth" (guess what that tells you about the setting) and various entropy related ones, "void and ashes" being what the sidekick in book #2 most naturally says when under stress.  "Void and salted ashes" when under extreme stress.

This is assuming that one wants swear-words which will feel satisfying to a primarily Anglophone reader; I have not the first clue of equivalents that would feel right to a Mandarin speaker, for example, which might matter if your culture is Chinese-based.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.