Author Topic: Writing Cons  (Read 7431 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Cons
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 02:33:04 AM »
Yeah, I'm not looking to do that.  I just want to go and get involved, be part of the world I claim to be a part of.  The first few I attend won't even be about business.  Those will be just pure nerd fun, and about meeting people. 
I think it would be awesome to be at a huge gathering with like-minded people.

It is.  Though I'd recommend one towards the smaller end of the scale for a first experience... or indeed in general, come to think of it, I've been to two Worldcons, which are at the 5,000-person scale, and they're not IMO near so much fun as various convention-type things I've been to at around the 1000-person scale - basically because it takes so much extra effort to organise everything, and if you don't you miss people rather than just sitting somewhere central and relying on them walking by.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 04:02:49 AM »
Hmmm, I don't remember any long females.

:P

And on topic, I too have been pondering this "con" concept, but sadly with my work schedule/motherhood/funds I can't just pick up and go to things like that if they're not close.  I hope it's not a requirement to be in the club. ;)

Offline Cathy Clamp

• Participant
  • Dances with Segues
    • View Profile
    • C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp Official Website
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 06:05:56 PM »
No, it's not a requirement, but it sure is helpful to get to meet others who write. Internet forums are awesome, but there's nothing quite like meeting people in person to get a sense of the similarities between other writers. 

What genre do you write, bigarver?  ??? There are a bunch of genre-specific conferences to plan for that would probably serve you better than just random ones that happen to be close to you. Plus, not everything has to be a writer's conference. Editors and agents also attend conventions (fan-based events) because writers hang out where their readers are, and editors/agents hang out where their writers are. It's a big happy family at conventions!  ;D

Smiles!
Cathy Clamp
Touch of Evil, USA Today bestseller
Magic's Design, now available everywhere
COLD MOON RISING, coming soon, 8/09. Preorder today!
visit our website to read sample chapters--http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com

Offline pathele

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »
Do bear in mind that editors are people too, and conventions are at least as much about having fun to them as about doing business; if you hard-sell yourself at a stranger, it's very easy to turn them right off and earn a name as a pushy jerk.
good call, neurovore.  I was thinking of conferences where they have sessions with editors and agents. I was in no way advocating anyone trying the hard-sell on an editor/agent.

-paul

Offline DRD2001

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • People's Republic of Venture
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 02:43:24 AM »
When looking for a con, you have to consider what genre you'll be writing or wish to write. If it's fantasy/sci-fi then I'd use this website.

http://www.scificonventions.com/html/findevent.php

Smaller cons can be good because it does give an opportunity for more one on one contact. But larger cons may cater to more writers or have more discussion panels for new writers. Aside from meeting publishers, cons may also give you the opportunity to network with other writers.

A friend of mine who is working on her own comic book often gives out a printed sample issue to various publishers and people in related fields. It's really helped her open doors because it showcases all her talents. But it is a financial investment. And only now is it starting to pay off.

Each year, I go to Dragon*Con in Atlanta, GA. Huge con. Tons of writers. Right now, there are 41 on the guest list. By September, it will rise to about 400 (media, music, writers, artists etc...). But it can be an expensive convention to attend.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »
:P

And on topic, I too have been pondering this "con" concept, but sadly with my work schedule/motherhood/funds I can't just pick up and go to things like that if they're not close.  I hope it's not a requirement to be in the club. ;)

If you're in the KC area, I found a con that's happening in May, I think, in KCMO.  I don't have the info in front of me right now, but I'll round it up and confirm.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 11:14:26 PM »
Oh excellent!  Let me know what you find out!

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 07:20:10 PM »
Oh excellent!  Let me know what you find out!

Yep.  There are actually several coming up this summer.  The one in May I was thinking of is called ConQuest.  Here's a link of the KC area nerdfests for this summer.

http://www.sff.net/people/sfreader/sflinks.htm

Enjoy!
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
Slightly off topic...whenever I see this topic title, I think of either "Writers in Prison" or "The cons of writing" (as in, pros and cons).  :D
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 04:25:45 PM »
Slightly off topic...whenever I see this topic title, I think of either "Writers in Prison" or "The cons of writing" (as in, pros and cons).  :D

Lol.  That had actually crossed my mind also.