Author Topic: Glamours and the Fae  (Read 2077 times)

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
Glamours and the Fae
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »
I am wondering if Glamours and Greater Glamours are as effective on Fae as they are on mortals.  Do Changelings or Fae have any extra ability to sense that a glamour is present or to see through it?  Should they?
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Glamours and the Fae
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
Mechanically they're the same regardless of the target, however I would allow a Changeling or Fae character spend a fate to declare that they see through it.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
Sure.  They could Invoke their High Concept with a FATE point.  Makes sense.  That is more or less what I was thinking.  Guess I will just run with that interpretation unless anyone else has something to offer.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
Sliding forward a Fate Point: "Your fairy charms don't work on one of my station."
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »
When making a veil (or a seeming) with glamours, would you need to spend your action maintaining it each round, or could you just set it up and do something else once under it?

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:52 PM »
As far as I know you can just cast the Glamour and then go on to do whatever else you want to do.  Perhaps you could add Shifts to the Time Chart to determine how long it will last without having to take an action. 

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:49:35 PM »
A Fae or Changeling wanting to see through the (Greater/) Glamours of another Fae or Changeling quite probably should have the opportunity to invoke their High Concept.  For a +2 to their roll.  Not for automatically bypassing a power that another character spent good refresh on.

@Blackblade
set it up (no roll involved), then continue on your business (roll each time someone else rolls to pierce it)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »
A Fae or Changeling wanting to see through the (Greater/) Glamours of another Fae or Changeling quite probably should have the opportunity to invoke their High Concept.  For a +2 to their roll.  Not for automatically bypassing a power that another character spent good refresh on.

@Blackblade
set it up (no roll involved), then continue on your business (roll each time someone else rolls to pierce it)

This.  The only thing I may give an exception to would be the Fairy Queens and Mothers (I'd make the Fairy Ladies roll) of the fey's court.  Then, probably, the Erlking if wyldfae.  And the player would get a fate point for the trouble.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
This.

That said, some fae have senses which may also assist in piercing a veil or seeming.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:11:13 AM »
This.  The only thing I may give an exception to would be the Fairy Queens and Mothers (I'd make the Fairy Ladies roll) of the fey's court.  Then, probably, the Erlking if wyldfae.  And the player would get a fate point for the trouble.

That would be represented by the Fairy Queen/Mother invoking-for-effect whatever aspect the character has to represent their Court affiliation to trigger a compel.
And, the result being a compel, could be refused.

(the Erlking holds Court over only a very small fraction of wyldfae, though the above would probably apply to those of his Court)

...Not that the Fairy Queens/Mothers should be having much trouble succeeding on those rolls anyway.  So why are they bothering?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 02:29:56 AM »
When making a veil (or a seeming) with glamours, would you need to spend your action maintaining it each round, or could you just set it up and do something else once under it?

I thought one needed to maintain concentration on a glamour.  In combat, I've been making it a suplemental action every exchange.  Certain situations would call for a discipline check to maintain it...lemme look through the book... *flip, flip*

EDIT: "With a moment of concentration,
you may draw a veil over something..."

O.k, I misread. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:32:58 AM by Taran »